RSS Feed Print
Writing a novel for NaNoWriMo?
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 3:24 PM

Nation Novel Writing Month, affectionately known as NaNoWriMo, is rapidly approaching. Writers know it as a great way to challenge themselves with a fixed wordcount/deadline. Many agents and editors view it with trepidation, knowing that a whole lot of clueless writers will be querying unedited first drafts. (But we know nobody from Book Country will do that, 'cos you guys are way too smart for that, RIGHT?)

Anyway, we got to wondering if any of our illustrious members were planning to take up the NaNoWriMo challenge this year, and - if you are - will you be sharing your NaNoWriMo books up on Book Country? We'd love to know!

Cheers!

Colleen

RJBlain
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 4:03 PM

I'll be writing a novel for National Novel Writing Month. Kinda have to, they let me back in as a municipal liaison again. (I really have them fooled.)

Yes, I'll probably post it on Book Country -- one chapter added per day so the chapters can show just how much work I did each day. Should be a fun way to show the world my mad (and terrible) drafting skills! Rawr!!

As for what I'm writing, still haven't decided. It will definitely be a genre piece though. I'm rather looking forward to the month break from the Averanmor Saga -- should be a nice, relaxing way to let my creative juices flow in all of the right places while herding a bunch of other writers into trying to complete their books.

I've yet to query a Nano piece, though I have to confess, Betrayer's Truth was a rewrite and reincarnation of last year's NaNoWriMo book. And I will be querying Betrayer's Truth out. Starting very, very soon.

stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 4:18 PM

Probably not. I never plan well enough for NaNo and end up in the middle of a draft or without the proper world-building base to do so. I've always wanted to try my hand at it but it might have to wait until next year.
Sherry Foley
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 4:21 PM

I plan on signing up for the first time ever. I'm kinda nervous-kinda excited about the prospect. I'm working on my outline and details like crazy. I hope to be over prepared.

No, I won't post my work in here immediately afterward, but after my CP's have combed through it first. Wouldn't wish to inflict the raw version on you guys for fear everyone will get a paper cut from the rough draft.

Happy writing, everyone.
-Sherry

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:46 PM

I'm signing up for the first time this year too. NaNo virgin here, but I've got an outline written up and a schedule to follow. Are you planning on starting a Book Country NaNo support group?
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:57 PM

Thinking about doing something around NaNo, yeah, but not sure what yet, as I'll actually be on vacation the first week of November. (VACATION! W0000T!)
RJBlain
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:07 PM

That will be -so- awesome, Colleen! I will be doing all sorts of Google+ activities for Nano'ers for my region, but you would be totally welcome to come join us anytime you want. (You can even be an honorary member of Montreal if you want

So much fun!! I hope you have a stellar vacation. So exciting.
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:21 PM

I've never participated in NaNo before... The one time I've tried a writing challenge I gave up after the first day.. I'd be willing to try this time though, perhaps I can finally get Silver Darkness off the ground (or can we not use something we've "started" even if we've only got about.. oh, not even 5 pages that may or may not require a complete rewrite?)

Annnnd I just found the rules that say it has to be from scratch... would I be able to "quote" some of my dialogue... but rewrite the rest of it? Is that a question for the coordinators rather than Book Country?

RJBlain
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:35 PM

If you want to use it for NaNoWriMo, the official ruling is that it has to be new. You can do a rewrite, but the entire rewrite has to be new content. If you want to use quoted dialogue, don't use it for NaNoWrimo. The general idea being that everyone is starting with the exact same thing: Nothing.

That said, you can plot all you want, just do not draft ANYTHING of the book until 12:01 am Nov 1st.
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:41 PM

hmmm... that's more than fair!

Could I, in theory, polish up the chapter I have up on book country and then start my NaNo word count from the beginning of Chapter 2?
RJBlain
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 6:44 PM

No -- they want you to start the story from word zero. If you want to do that story, put aside the first chapter start from scratch. If you're wanting to keep any parts of the old chapter, start a different project.

But, you could always view it this way -- you can only make it better by rewriting the story completely. It is only one chapter. Just rewrite it if you want to work on that story -that- badly.
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 7:12 PM

Noted. I will think about it. I'm not horribly attached to my first chapter.. so it wouldn't be that painful to just put it all aside...

Thanks for your quick responses!
stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 9:14 PM

On thinking about it, I'm going to aim for being able to participate. Though with so much of life up in the air at the moment I can't actually guarantee being able to do so.

This means I must finish the first draft of my current novel well before then so I have time to sit and let my muse find her next shiny idea in time to world-build and plot before 11/1/11.

Sorry. I just love typing that date. That and 1/1/11, 1/11/11 and 11/11/11
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 10:07 PM

I'll be taking part as both my books (one not added yet) were written during nanowrimo. This year I'm taking a crack at urban fantasy having done military SF and fantasy the years before. If I had any advice, it'd be don't fall behind. It adds up terrifyingly fast.
J Boone Dryden
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:44 AM

I will definitely be participating this year, as I am working on a major rewrite (which is more like a completely new version) of an older work, and I'd like the motivation. I've already begun it, but I will be starting at "word 0" for NaNo and just continuing from what I don't finish in the near few weeks.

As a side note, if there is anyone that would like a veteran NaNo-er as a mentor, I have mentored in the past and would be happy to help a newcomer if they so choose (or an old-timer, too ). Just message me on NaNo at JB Dryden. I'm always up for good conversation, spouting off what is probably only mildly-useful advice, and making new writer friends

Katherine Webber
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 2:01 PM

I am so torn...I really want to do NaNo but also really need to complete my current WIP. I am only about 30,000 words done and aiming for around 80,000. Has anyone ever done NaNo while also working on another project or is that a really bad idea/shine bauble syndrome?

I came up with a plot several months ago but have been saving it for NaNo but of course am now really involved in my current WIP.

@J Boone I might be taking you up on your offer to be a Nano mentor!

Eliza Wyatt
Posted: Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:35 PM

I have half of a steampunk street-gang-intrigue plot, a cache of stolen jewels, a villain dead nine years, and a hero that’s the villain’s resurrected amnesiac corpse, tracking down his past life’s crimes.

Bring it, November.

I’m ElizaWyatt there too, if you care to look me up. I've done Nano for the last four years, and won three of them. This is my five-year anniversary. Wahoo!
Kenley Tan
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:45 PM

This year will be my first year to participate. I actually plan to put my work here in Book Country to see if I could finally finish a novel that doesn't suck.

Rebecca Kovar
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:45 PM

Katherine, I did start a new project while in the middle of a WIP, and do not recommend it, unless you think you can write the entire novel during NaNo (or shortly thereafter). Otherwise, it's like trying to ride two horses at once. Even if you manage to stand on both their backs, at some point, one of them will stumble or veer off and you'll end up on the ground wondering what happened. Or maybe it's just me.

On the other hand, if you think you can bang out a complete novel during that time, go for it. I've done it, but everything else fell by the wayside. My friends considered an intervention. 50k is enough of a challenge. I really don't recommend trying to do 95k in a month. Also, it will take years to edit that down to something you'd allow people to read. Again, maybe that's just me.
Stevie McCoy
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 5:57 PM

Unfortunately last year at NaNo I only wrote 25k because well I didn't write everyday. But in preparation for NaNo this year I have started a flashfiction contest #tuesdaytales and have been writing minimum of 1k words a day even with work and school... sometimes it means less sleep but I have been forming a habit and it seems to be working. Now I have one more month to up my daily word count to 1677 words or more a day to meet the NaNo 50k in November.

It will be a challenge indeed and if the work doesnt totally suck monkey furr then yes, I will post it on Bookcountry for feedback and I look forward to all the new bookcountry stories that will be posted in December.
Soooo Excited SQUEEE!

Cheers to the New NaNoWriMo 2011 edition!
There should be a NaNo bookcountry badge that would be sweet!
[rushes off to prepare... need plots... buwahahaha]
Miykie Qedar
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:35 PM

This will be my first time. Thanks RJ for throwing out some guidelines. Thanks J Boone for the Virgil Wingman Support.
Mame Burkett
Posted: Monday, October 3, 2011 10:49 AM

While I am new to Book Country I am a returning vet from the NANO challenge. I will be doing a rewrite of a story I started in January. I have a fun plot but let my husband and son talk me out of it because they thought it was about them too much. I have decided to go with my gut, not talk to them about it and use NANO to go back to the beginning. BTW, I have only been in Book Country for about a week and I am really looking forward to becoming part of the group! Write on!

Mame
Debbie Moorhouse
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 1:27 PM
I've signed up for Nano two years running...does that count? XD

Actually, looking through my Goodreads recommendations, a book cover sparked an idea. I had to look twice to make sure the title was like the one I was suddenly thinking of, but not *actually* that one. If that makes sense.

If I had someone to stand over me with a whip and endless cups of tea, I'd be in with a chance.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 2:54 PM

I haven't yet signed up but I'm pretty well committed to doing it this year. I am currently debating between two projects. How do you all decide which project to use for NaNo?
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 5:20 PM

Personally, I tend to run with whatever idea's got the most nailed down plot. As you're going to be spending the entire month writing, you really need to know where you're going as you write. Last year I spent quite a while plotting what was going to happen (this year I haven't been that organised!) and it made the whole experience a lot easier.

This year I'm running an urban fantasy as I don't want to have to worry about the minutiae of the world and I've got the general plot relatively well nailed down. The other option was a 'magical school' story, but that one still needs some world design before I can start it.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:08 PM

Neither idea has a well-formed plot as of yet. But I am waiting to plot until I decide which one. I'm a mix of pantser-plotter so I'm sure I'll have struggles and breakthroughs throughout the entire month.

Now I guess I just need to actually sign up at the website...

Thanks for the input, Timothy.
KatesQuill
Posted: Friday, October 7, 2011 2:35 PM

Oh, how I love NaNo!

I completed it last year - though the novel is still tucked away in a dusty corner of my hard drive, the lessons I learned from it were invaluable.

I'll be doing it again this year, and I already have stacks of notes filled with character sketches, vignettes and research, rather than simply diving in head-first as I did last year.

I'm raring to get started with it - it's a paranormal romance with the working name of 'Triumvirate'. And of course I'll be sharing it here!

Kate x
amberh
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:09 PM

I've been participating in Nano since 2003, and I love it. I use the 50,000 word goal as my litmus test on an idea. If I can reach that goal in a month, I can finish the story out.
Ghost
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 4:12 AM

This is the first time that I've heard of NaNo. Any veterans have tips on how I should approach this 50k beast? I'm assuming I should create a complete outline before the first. How many words a day should I aim for without burning myself out?

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:11 PM

Generally it's recommended that you aim for 1333 words a day as that means you hit the 50k on the last day. Different people have different approaches to Nano however. I try to do the word limit every day so that it doesn't stack up, but other authors will do vast chunks (10-20k) over the weekend or towards the end as the deadline approaches.

As for advice, my best suggestion is to come up with an outline and also have a good grasp on your characters. The other suggestion I have is to remember that this is about writing to a word limit, not about writing the perfect prose. Don't try and create perfection the first time around, just jam all your ideas on the page and then, in November, start trying to make it all look pretty
RJBlain
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 12:59 PM

You need to do 1667 words per day to get 50,000 on the last day without dong extra, not 1333. (November has 30 days, not 31.)
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, October 13, 2011 9:17 PM

I knew that. honest
HJakes
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:56 AM

Unfortunately I won't be participating in NaNo this year. My projects aren't lining up in a way that will make it possible. But I'll be writing alongside all you NaNoers and cheering you on. My regular daily writing goal, if I'm not revising, is 1,000 words, so I won't be too, too far off the pace.

Good luck to all participants! (And don't forget to stand up and move around every once in awhile - can't have anyone solidifying in place just to make word count)
stephmcgee
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:16 PM

I have to inform you that I won't be participating this year after all. Some things have come up that make drafting a new novel the lowest of all priorities right now. Good luck to everyone who is participating!
Sven Nomadsson
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 12:56 PM

Yes I'll be doing NaNoWriMo for the fourth time, sadly like the previous times what I've written won't be genre fiction so it won't be posted to Book Country. I do have some other projects that will be though.
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:48 AM

I'm planning on doing NaNo again this year. I won it in 2009 (my first time), then last year, my dissertation interrupted me in the middle of my novella (which is posted here already--Fly Me To the Stars). I'm planning to do another novella this year (~30k) and another ~20k on my 2009 NaNo book, which hasn't been touched since. I think I finally know where to go with it.

So, yes, I'm doing NaNo, but I'm a #NaNoRebel this year, because I don't have a 50k story in me right now. And I have too many stories to finish.

As far as posting to BC...I haven't decided yet. Do we have a plotting/brainstorming thread on here for when we hit roadblocks?
Margo Jodyne Dills
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 4:13 AM

This will be my first NaNo and I have no plan other than a title right now and a couple other little details. (I think I must be totally nuts.) I've done a few poetry challenges so now I think I'm ready for NaNo? (I am nuts.)
Kylie Woods
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2011 9:47 PM

This will also be my first NaNoWriMo and I am working on an outline. I am wondering how everybody reduces the risk of rereading and the temptation to edit.
Nevada Drake
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 4:13 PM

I'll be giving it a shot, though preparations were put on hold for a move. I have...two days to get it together. Assuming I finish at the end of November, I'll sit on what I wrote, no peeking, for maybe a month. When I go back and look at what I wrote, I'll probably want to die of humiliation. It'll take at least a week to get over that! Then it will be getting to work making it half way presentable before putting it up here.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 11:34 AM

Here's my NaNoWriMo profile if anyone wants to add me on that website. I'm all ready to roll, I've got my outline, schedule and a month's supply of coffee.
http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/danielleebowers

I'll be uploading my NaNoWriMo book progress each day in all its disgusting, unedited glory.
Tara Kollas
Posted: Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:18 PM

I'm not doing anything officially, but I'm taking this month to get cracking on my WIP and, if I'm lucky, get it in some shape of being done before December. Will definitely post it on Book Country. The comments and crits I've gotten from this community have been invaluable.
SusanElizabeth
Posted: Saturday, November 5, 2011 2:52 AM

I've been going back and forth and finally decided to do it today. Starting four days late - gasp! I just kept seeing all the Twitter and GalleyCat hype and felt I couldn't miss out.

It's going to be hard to step away from my current WIP!
decalino
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 9:56 AM
I'm doing NaNoWriMo this year, but I feel less prepared than last year--I have no idea where this one is going! I love participating, though, it's a great way to kick start my writing. I really need the boost, too, because I've hardly written a word since we moved four months ago. Now that I'm settled in I need to get back to work!

I will only post the final result here if it turns out much better than I have any reason to believe it will. That being said, I have the first few chapters of last year's NaNoWriMo novel posted, so who knows.
Monday
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:10 PM

I'm doing it, but that whole storm ripping through the place started me late. Still, better late than never.
Denise Baer
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:55 AM

Hello Everyone!

I want to wish everyone luck with their NaNoWriMo. I didn't enter this year due to other responsibilities, and because of this, I feel the silence on the internet in the writing communities.

Anyway, I wish you the best with your daily goals. I did NaNoWriMo in 2008, so I know all about the excitement and nervousness.

Take care.
Denise Baer
Larry Winfield
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 3:10 AM

Well, my NaNoWriMo experience goes back a few years:

I've participated twice, in 2005 and 2006. The first attempt produced a 30,000 word novel, the second try got to 50,000 words, but I then took the earlier manuscript and turned it into a podcast novel-in-progress as a way to force me to finish it, even as a big first draft. By the time I finished the novel it earned 5000 listeners. Cool.

This is the novel I've just posted up - "Banjo Strings" - after a few rounds of editing and converting into an Amazon Kindle e-book. I hope to eventually take the book to the next step - a printed paperback for sale. I'd rather find a publisher than self-publish the printed version, but we'll see.

The second novel has been on hold while I get my 'sea legs' on this whole process of writing and publishing, but next year I'd like to get on with it... What I learned from NaNoWriMo is that nothing happens until you finish the damn book, so writing something everyday is essential, even though the act of applying butt to chair and actually writing is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, noting at all like writing poetry...
Anna Spargo Ryan
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2011 5:53 AM

Yes, my first proper year of NaNoWriMo! I've registered lots of times but never actually written very much. This year I'm very pleased to still be on target on Day 14.

I've been uploading mine to Book Country. It needs a whopping great load of editing, but on the whole I'm enjoying it very much.

This is me: http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/annaspargoryan
NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2011 8:10 AM

The point of NaNo is to write 50k, and while the "rules" suggest you start with something new, there are a lot of NaNoRebels, like me, who don't. I had 6k of my novella already written when NaNo started (which I wrote during that crazy week of writing with you, Rebecca! LOL). I don't see the point of wasting it, or starting yet another new project when I've got so many unfinished ones. My take has always been, if you can write 50k in a month, you're awesome, whether it was the start of one project or the ending of another. 

Anywho, I've finished my first 35k for NaNo and my novella is finished (and first two chapters posted), so I'm trying to figure out what to write for the last 15k. Sigh. Suggestions are welcome.
MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:17 PM
I am, and I have a few excerpts up on my blog.

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 10:28 PM

I just crossed the finish line tonight.  One Nanowrimo down, who knows how many to go!

Jump to different Forum...