RSS Feed Print
Got a new SF project to workshop on Book Country? Need readers? Share here!
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 12:24 PM

Hi guys!

I notice that a lot of y'all are fairly new here (welcome!) and some of you are having an attack of shyness when it comes to asking for reads for your newly-posted manuscript. So to help alleviate that, I'm creating this thread.

Got a new project you want eyeballs on? Tell us about it here!

Good luck!

Colleen
Community Manager
Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:37 PM

I'm not new, but I would love for some brave soul to read the second book I posted - A Kaliphian Matter: Transformations - and give me some feedback. Just one catch, though, it's the middle book of a trilogy, so you'd have to read the first one - A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations - first.

Thanks!

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 9:08 PM

Thanks for the invite, Colleen

Yes, I would appreciate reviews of The Phoenix Diary
 -reviewers may feel free to pick any chapter to review or to read all that is currently posted.

Constructive criticism is welcome and if you enjoy it I also need to know what you liked.

Thanks!

Brian Lowe
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:33 PM

My novel, The Invisible City, has received several reads but apparently the reviews, too, are invisible. Anyone who is counting the days until "John Carter" premieres can use this book to help get through the wait.
Hudson MacHeath
Posted: Saturday, March 3, 2012 6:59 PM

Hello, all...I've had my manuscript here for quite a while, ever since the site started...but I've just uploaded revised chapters, including some significant changes, and it would be a fine thing if anybody here cared to take a look at them. It's called Pathfinder, Lost, and it's about a boy, lost and hunted, who joins a clandestine society dedicated to discovering the truth about mankind's dark past. 

Well, there's my advertisement. All the best,
-MacHeath

T Gillmore
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2012 9:39 PM

Greetings, I'm new to Book Country and I would love some feedback, even though my fingers are sweating just for asking. Good thing they're not visible, not so pretty.
If anyone would like to take the challenge, I would like to know where are the slow/boring points or good points. My ego requested the latter.
Thanks, T

Matthew Snee
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 10:37 AM

Hello I've been here for a little while but I finally uploaded our whole book, and I would love some feedback.  You don't have to review it, but if you read it I will be very happy ))

Matt Snee
To Brave the Crumbling Sky Volume 2

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 3:16 PM

Hi, Bill, I'll cheerfully take a look at your book, but it's not actually fully uploaded yet. I'd take another look at its page and check that you've completed all the steps to uploading. I missed this yesterday, but remember to click the 'upload' button afterwards.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 8:25 PM

No problem. Now I've just got to read it.

Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 10:47 PM

I just posted the first (small) section of what should eventually become a monthly serial. If you could, give it a look see and let me know what you think.

Please note, it is a first draft. Not telling you to be gentle. In point of fact, just the opposite - I *know* it needs some serious tuning, I want to hear what direction you think the tuning needs to be done.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:28 PM

Somehow, I kind of forgot to mention FSO here after I moved it to Space Opera a while back (it makes more sense there, kinda). It could definitely use some more reviews.

FSO is short for Fantasy Space Opera (no, it's not like I've no idea what to call it) and is intended to be a space opera set in a fantasy-rules universe. The story follows the Aegis, a quadrireme (yes that's right, a rowing boat) and its crew that inadvertantly encounters a piratical cult. Their investigations of these suicidal and dangerous ice worshippers leads them all over the Orrery before finally they unleash what has been hiding in the depths of the Dead Planet.

FSO is heavily inspired by the very crazy end of the fantasy genre, especially the old D&D setting Spelljammer. As a result it includes the following; space-going rowing boats, laser-powered, jet-propelled trees, weirdly wired internal gravity fields, massively over the top martial arts, magical mutations, steam-propelled power armour, shapeshifters and an entire armada of titanic skeletal frost dragons (eventually). It's kinda fun in other words.

Patty Jansen
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:10 AM

I've just uploaded the first three chapters of my hard SF Shifting Reality (political/cyberpunk set in a space station with a huge expat Indonesian workforce and artificial humans).
Niko Dark
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:19 PM

Hi all. I'm definitely one of those having an attack of shyness about getting reviews for my book. So, here goes. I've posted the first couple chapters of my YA novel and would greatly appreciate any reviews. It's my first real attempt at writing fiction and I need an honest opinion on whether is has any potential at all or if I should just go back to technical science writing and forget about it. Thanks!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:12 PM

I've been meaning to get around to reviewing your book for that last few days. My current excuse is that Nanowrimo is kicking me up and down the walls, but I'll try and take a peak at it soon.
Niko Dark
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:36 PM

Thanks! I also just realized I was so nervous about posting I didn't mention the name of my book. *slaps forehead* It's The Indigo Chronicles (working title for now at least).
Yezall Strongheart
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2012 7:45 AM

I will read and review anyone who will help me out and do the same.  I just uploaded Captain Lanie Romein, A.K.A. The Ice Queen and I would love some feedback.!! Thanks!
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 5:58 PM

Hello All,
  Just uploaded a new short story, A Streak of Silver in the Sky, and would love some feedback.  It's a time travel story - changing history, but not recent history - the history fo life on the planet. Want to see how many people get it.  Thanks in advance.
CorrinaT
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 6:18 PM

Hi! I am very new here and have just posted my first two chapters of my manuscript, THE GIRL WITH NO NAVEL. I would love feedback on it! Here is the link to it to make it easier for you to find it.

http://www.bookcountry.com/Books/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=137406

Thanks so much for taking the time to read it!

Donna M Berrier
Posted: Friday, February 15, 2013 4:09 PM

I recently uploaded a couple of chapters from my science fiction novel The Three Cores of Arderhur. I would love some feedback. I will try to read some of the stories in this thread and give feedback as well. Thank you in advance. 
Marc Poliquin
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:00 PM

Thanks, Colleen, for starting this thread. I've just uploaded a new draft of W.U.M.E.  Any and all comments welcome.

Marc

https://www.bookcountry.com/Books/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=127066
lisahall
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 12:39 PM

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to this scene and have uploaded a soft SF that would benefit from a couple solid critical reviews. The title is Crane's War. It's a working title and a work in progress. Thanks.

Lisa
thomas keesman
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 2:19 AM
I have posted a short at http://www.bookcountry.com/Books/BookDetails.aspx?bookId=141650. .  It is set in the Extraordinaire construct [I will be posting a scene from my novel Extraordinaire soon.].  I would appreciate a few reads and comments.  Thanks.  TK

MAS Douglas
Posted: Saturday, June 8, 2013 7:43 PM

Hi, i'm new and would love some feedback on my book Omega. its not finished, but i have a good chunk done.
please feel free to criticize, praise, tell me what you like, dislike, if their is anything you don't understand, or anything, i guess u don't even have to review but it would be nice to at least say hey, i read this i give it a thumbs up/down. that way i'll know if i'm on the right track. it will also prompt me to check out your stuff!
Thanks , and thanks colleen for starting this discussion.
P.S. my book isn't hardcore  science fiction so for anyone who is a die hard sci-fi fan, you've been warned.

Frank Darbe
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 6:36 PM

Hello,

New here, and I just posted the Forward and first two chapters of my SF novel The Jungian Gate, a complete 129,000 word novel. I wasn't sure whether I should post the whole thing or just the beginning.

I would appreciate anyone who would like to look over the manuscript. 

I've tried shopping the novel around to agents and publishers with no joy. One publisher told  me that it needed further editing, and that the original first chapter did not promise or scream soft science fiction, so I wrote a forward and edited somewhat.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 10:25 PM

Hi Frank, I'm interested in your novel, but I can't find it on the site. Could you just check that it's actually been published for us to read. More than one person (including me!) has accidentally not published their book when they've thought they have. You're probably best served checking your dashboard for its status and then making sure you've completed the checklist on the book page.
J. Michael Edwards
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 9:11 PM

I am new to this site. Heard about it at the Pacific Northwest Writers' Association annual Writers' Conference. I have posted the Prologue and first three chapters of the soft SF novel I am currently working on, and would value some constructive criticism to help me take it to the next level. It's called The Black Box.  The content I have posted is about 10K words. Thanks in advance for take the time and effort to critique it.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 10:07 PM
Easier said than done, I'm afraid. Unless you've reviewed several stories (I think it's three, unless they've changed it) your own won't appear on your home page. In any case it's easier, these days, if you post a link.
J. Michael Edwards
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:50 AM

Jay, thanks for the suggestion about including the link to The Black Box. And yes, I did review a short story prior to posting this, so it is available for review.

--edited by J. Michael Edwards on 8/14/2013, 9:53 AM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 9:43 AM

Hi everyone!

Book County 2.0 has 1:1 feedback--you only need to review 1 book to post your own.

Thanks and happy writing and reviewing!

Lucy

J. Michael Edwards
Posted: Tuesday, October 8, 2013 10:46 PM

I have posted a 4000 word SF short story intended to be humorous. I'd appreciate some serious critiques. I think this one might be worth submitting to a few journals, but it needs some polishing. So, polish away my SF brethren. And thanks for giving it a look.

The Cat, the Raccoon, and the Dragon

"Benny's otherwise mundane life takes an unexpected turn when a talking cat shows up at his door to convert his living room into an inter-universe transit station. 

--edited by J. Michael Edwards on 10/13/2013, 3:22 PM--

Marshall R Maresca
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2013 1:54 AM

Hey all.

After a long hiatus, I've turned my attention to a project that's I've had simmering on the backburner. I've put up the first three chapters, so check them out. 

Banshee

Thanks!

Angela Donnell
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 12:00 PM

My book Syzygy has yet to receive readers.  Only ten chapters are up and there's more to come, but I would appreciate a few reads.

Thank you!happy

--edited by Angela Donnell on 10/25/2013, 12:02 PM--

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:46 AM

Hi Angela--thanks for posting a link to your book Syzygy! Going over to take a look now, see what you are up to!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Richard KeslerWest
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2013 4:00 PM

I recently posted a novella about time travel and its complications, especially for relationships, called continuity. It's been rewritten a couple of times, so I'm wondering what people think.
ENLove
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 11:59 AM

I recently uploaded the first few chapters of my book Pouring the Cup on book country for review.  Anyone who appreciated a utopian future and a realistic female protagonists will love this story.  Utopias aren't perfect, of course, and neither are women. This work looks at a society based on humanist philosophies and an overall belief that the community is stronger when everyone shares the load.  Take a look.

Bee

Angela Martello
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:29 PM

Hi,

It's been awhile! Just uploaded a new draft (NOT draft 48 or whatever BC is showing) of part one of my space opera trilogy: A Kaliphian Matter I: Revelations. Not sure how to paste in a URL for the work. Hope this works: http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=2275

As usual, would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Angela

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 4:12 PM

Hi Angela--nice to see you back on Book Country, and it sounds like you've been busy since we last heard from you!

Cover looks great--thanks for letting us know about the new version!

Lucy

Rob Emery
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 3:55 PM

I am so new to this sight that I feel like the Bon-ami chicken (so young it hasn't scratched yet.) Though personally I am not so young. In fact I'm older than dirt. But, on to the plug.

I have uploaded two novels to book country.  'The Hall of Doors' is in the hard sci-fi genre.  It starts out as a murder story with car chases through the mountains of West Virginia.  But that is the opener to get our lead character in contact with the aliens, who have lived quietly on earth since the closing days of the Civil War. Once Officer Bryan Clifton is on the scene this other worldly adventure really begins.   All sci-fi stories begin with a what-if question.  (what if something so catastrophic happens that all humanity must leave the Earth or die, and there is one way out and only four men and their families know about it with only six hours before America begins to die.)

Your reviews are coveted as only a very few people have ever read the thing.

kjmiller
Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:19 PM

I’m almost done with my fourth novel and I’d like to set up beta reading community with some of you all. Briefly, the plot of this novel: In the near future, a top secret international time travel project exists. A mission to the future convinces the project’s head of security that the Earth is under eventual extraterrestrial threat and convinces the civilian director of the project (my heroine) that humanity shouldn’t assume the worst about the aliens. As the story unfolds, an old tragedy from my heroine’s past will become terrifying and real for the entire world, she will be dragged into an elaborate criminal and political conspiracy, and the future of a damaged and declining America and world will hang in the balance. The name of this book is SEX, DEATH, & THE FUTURE. Any takers? Go ahead and drop me a line at kevin.kjmiller.miller0@gmail.com

Posted: Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:32 PM

Hi KJ--Thanks for joining the conversation about new SciFi books on Book Country. The book sounds really interesting--I think you are well on your way to a compelling hook!

Are you planning on workshopping the book here on Book Country? I noticed you haven't reviewed anything yet. Use this thread to find other SciFi WIPs to check out--we've got some terrific SciFi writers here on Book Country that you can beta-read with!

I just sent you a connection request. Let me know if you need help getting involved with Book Country.

And, welcome!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

kjmiller
Posted: Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:44 PM

RAGE AND LOVE.

These are the reasons why I write science fiction.

Going into more detail than that, I'm afraid I'm gong to turn into "Meet the Press."

Give my The Stars Themselves Under the Gun a read.

RobinCandelario
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 6:06 PM

Finding The Right Shelf For MY Book as well as getting reviews! It is sci fi; but do I have the right sci fi label for Warped Time and Punishment?

Partial  Glossary Excerpt

Bacco HH - First successful encapsulating program which could only enter as far as eight years into the past. Any time further met with failure; Encapp’s only survived less than seven months.

Bacco-Tessla Drones -  updated, more successful versions of the Bacco HH time travel drone. With Bacco-Tessla time travel now can retrieve life further back than eight years.

BT Encapp Commencer - person in charge of sending off the current Bacco Tessla criminal apprehension and fetal encapsulated retrieval mission. Marlboro’s job solely until Salphaone is fully trained.

Criminal Encap Implantation - three years after the successful retrieval of the murdered woman’s fetus; this encapsulated life is implanted in the criminal who murdered the mother. Encapp retrieval, witness to the retrieval, and all original conviction evidence must be present. At the beginning of the story there have been twelve successful criminal encap implantations.

Encapp - encapsulated life fetus brought through time to the future and implanted after three years of mandatory waiting for survival. 

Lyrics - unknown Sally Fay watched secret history videofeed sent to her by Salphaone and “Not that innocent” lyrics by a B. Spears only confused her. Was this Spears a criminal? What is lyrics?

Music - another unknown. Same scenario as above; Sally Fay believes music is an extinct animal such as a dinosaur. Nobody has heard or seen a music in over 100 years the secret history videofeed claimed. What is music?

Pips- doughy plastic like dna time travel molders. S-Squid Squad members learn how to use them for themselves, the encapsulated fetus, and the criminals they apprehend. Lor T. will become the first S-Squid Squad member to use a pip on a pregnant mother who lived. Bacco HH ones were used in the past, now BT and BTHH pips are the best pips for time travel.

Salt Precipitation Era - 2116AD it rained salt for two years and caused major traveling on roads havoc. New vehicles needed to be invented.

S-Squid Squad - humans given top secret medical formulas built into their dna to enable time travel. Scientific study of microscopic squid created this formula in Marlboro’s lab.

Simple-Scannex - vehicle used worldwide until 2116 when the Salt Precipitation era took hold. It rained salt for two years and these vehicles became unsafe and unreliable at speeds over 15mph.  

Turbo-Scannex -most used and also most preferred vehicle for Marlboro-Squid administration in 2144AD.

Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 3:30 PM

Hi Robin,

Not quite sure how to interpret your post. Give us a little more context for your book and your goals for it here on Book Country. Glad to see you using the discussion boards to bounce ideas off fellow members!

Lucy

Fluidity
Posted: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 1:41 AM

Hello everyone!

I'm working on a dystopian novel called "When We Was A Child"

I've posted a Nanowrimo prompt that I would love for people to review, it's 1535 words, so a short read. After I've done a lot of planning I will start posting chapters of my novel.

Here is the link to the prompt:

Rent your home to a stranger?

Please read, review, and leave a link to your masterpiece in the comments so I can do the same.

I look forward to reading your work,

Fluidity

--edited by Fluidity on 7/9/2014, 1:47 AM--

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Hi, everyone,

I've posted new versions of books 1 and 2 of my A Kaliphian Matter trilogy. Book 3 is with a brave volunteer reader. When I hear from her, I'll post that one, too.

As always, I'd really appreciate some feedback.

Thanks,

Angela

r-Erik
Posted: Monday, September 1, 2014 4:57 PM

Hello,

I would most certainly appreciate reviews of my story, Eternal Life.

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7120

It is a sci-fi.  The story is set in the future, where the main character, Arthur, is back home on Earth.  Though he lives very well and feels great, he does has allergies, which his laboratory is trying to find a cure.  Thinking that things in his life and research is going well, a stalker is about to change all that.  

Thanks for your time,

Erik

--edited by r-Erik on 9/1/2014, 4:59 PM--

Posted: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 9:55 AM

Hey, @Erik, nice to meet you on Book Country and welcome! Thanks for posting a link to your book here on the site.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything as you are getting acclimated.

Lucy

Scott Burdick
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:03 AM

I joined book country yesterday and am so excited to have found a place to connect with other writers! I've done some limited writing for film, but make my living as a gallery painter. I've written a lot in my spare time, but this is the first time I'm putting a story out to have someone else read it. I posted the my first finished novel, "God's Dark Shadow", in the hard sci-fi section here and am looking forward to seeing what those of you with more experience than I think. Even if you just have time to read the first chapter, I'd love to hear any critique or reaction. I realize that there is lots of room for improvement and would love to know what I need to concentrate on. I'd be happy to read anyone's story in return.
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 2:40 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for posting and introducing yourself. I went over and found your book and it looks great. I saw you went to Columbia College Chicago--were you a part of the Summer Writers Club?

Please let me know if I can help show you around the site. Welcome!

Lucy

Scott Burdick
Posted: Tuesday, September 9, 2014 5:25 PM

Lucy, great to meet you hear and congratulations on your writing success. It is an honor to get to connect with so many accomplished writers like yourself since I have so much to learn. Thanks for the nice words on my story. I wasn't a part of the writing club at Columbia since my focus when I went there was on film. I enjoyed the creative writing course I took and had one of my short stories published, but I mostly concentrated on the screenwriting and cinematography while I was there. Wish I could go back and take some more creative writing courses now!

Jump to different Forum...