RSS Feed Print
Closed beta users, please introduce yourselves!
TYHatch
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:27 PM

I'm Tina Hatch. I'm really excited to be here and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you. I started writing YA Paranormal Romance a few years ago, but have recently been writing Women's Fiction - romance, mystery and a little bit of tragedy. I also love to help edit other people's work. That probably makes me strange, but I'm okay with that.

I joined after seeing Colleen's tweets about her Sekrit Projekt. The sense of community is already wonderful. I'm looking forward to being a part of it.

I'll be uploading the first chapter of my latest novel, Darkness, when I have a little more time. (Sadly, I must get back to work.)

Thanks for this opportunity.

midian
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 9:12 PM

Hi everyone! I'm Cheryl and I'm now working on two urban fantasies that, at the rate I'm going, will likely become three or four, with none finished. That's how much I procrastinate. I want to finish. Really, I do. *sigh*

I look forward to playing with you all.
Addie J King
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 9:16 PM

I'm Addie...and thrilled to be here to see what was really being talked about on Twitter!

I write weird stuff. I mean, I know a lot of people say the same, but it's easiest to say contemporary fantasy. It's not as dark as urban fantasy, it's kinda funny...with elements of romance, mystery, humor, and paranormal, well, stuff, all squished in there. I once called it "contemporary humorous women's fantasy" and someone asked if it was funny erotica (it's not).

I'm currently querying agents and submitting short stories, and am always happy to meet new people, and always looking for new reading material and new critique partners!
torreybird
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 10:31 PM

Hi folks! I'm Torrey.

Like so many others here, I couldn't stand the twitter-taunting - gosh, that marketing ploy really works. ::takes notes::

I write technical and non-technical fiction, from my published superhero novel (GATHERING GRACE, Hanford Mead, 2006) to my super-short fiction AUTOMATIC SELECTION at dailysciencefiction.com.

Current works in progress include:
- Completed draft of post-apocalyptic novel
- The only authorized biography of the CEO of Death, Inc.
- The natural history of the carnivorous unicorn

Looking forward to reading, providing and receiving feedback!
RebeccaStevenson
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:30 PM

Hello.

My name is Rebecca. My genres are fantasy and SF. I am currently querying a straight-up fantasy, and finishing a new fantasy/SF blend -- I expect that's what I'll be inflicting on the beta group. I signed up because I figured that anything with Colleen's name attached was a) legit and b) likely to be interesting.

I am a technical writer at a software company by day, 37 years old (which frequently feels ANCIENT in the online aspiring-writer community), have a family, and keep busy with assorted hobbies, one of which is complaining that I need more sleep.

Looking forward to getting to know folks here, and working on writing.
wendylbolm
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:15 AM

Hello,

I'm Wendy. I gave up the glamorous life of a wage slave and freelance journalist last year (I wrote for the St. Petersburg Times and The Tampa Tribune) to move to New Orleans and go to grad school in English. I am now an adjunct English professor, a writer, and a PR and go-to gal for a local charity. I'm hoping that this site can help me get more opinions on my WIP novel and some short stories I've been subbing. I write horror (or maybe what modern readers call urban fantasy) and science fiction. My fiction also usually includes snippets of Jewish and GLBT themes, because I am interested in both issues. I will have something up soon; I'm trying to figure out what I want to put up, because I have a lot of pieces in the revision stage.
Jessie Kwak
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 3:41 PM

Hi, I'm Jessie. I write fantasy and soft sci-fi, with a tendency toward magical realism. I'm happily living the dream life of a English Lit major--waiting tables and scribbling novels, combined with the occasional jaunt to South America.

My real-life writing group has recently dispersed to the far corners of the earth, and it's hard to find other groups who don't laugh when you say you write fantasy, so I'm excited to find an online community dedicated to critiquing and helping each other.

Thanks for having me on!
srgruber
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 7:49 PM

Hiya everybody! I'm Suzi, and I'm here because I couldn't resist... when I read the last call for beta fish on Twitter my curiosity got the better of me. I probably should have warned Colleen that I have a tendency to break websites in new and interesting ways and my programmer friends don't let me beta for them anymore.

I'm a good cook, though, so if I bust something I'll send cupcakes to make up for it.

Most of my stories are science fiction or fantasy, but I like to venture out into other genres from time to time. I write as S. R. Gruber and I'm currently working on a book about an auction house in space. I founded (and still run) an offline writers' group that includes a playwright and a jack-of-all-media.

Looking forward to getting to know you and reading your books!
Lexcade
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 5:59 AM

Hey y'all, I'm Cate. I decided to do this because I'm always looking for ways to meet other writers. I write speculative fiction with romantic undertones *I guess. I don't really know* and can't wait to make some new friends
megan carpenter
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 12:54 PM

Hi everyone, I'm Megan. I wanted to join BookCountry because it looked like a great opportunity to meet some other amazing writers, and I've heard that working with other writers can really help your own writing skills. I'm also just coming out of a college writing workshop, and would love to keep expanding the skills I've learned there.
Currently I write fantasy, though I do have a story that I think will fit under speculative fiction. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone here, and to help build an amazing writing community!
T R Garris
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 1:46 AM

Hello to all!
My name is Telisha, although I will go by T.R. Garris. In the hopes that when I do get published I won't have to worry about people mispronouncing my name!
I started to write a short story almost 2 years ago now and it turned into a 3 book saga! I am now in the wonderful process of getting it edited and searching for an agent.
I found this group from the recommendation of a friend and barely made the cutoff!
I am happy to find others in the same place as I am as well as those that can help. I love getting feedback in a non judgmental way!
I am a blunt spoken person who often says things more abrupt then they are meant so please don't be afraid to take me with a grain of salt.
I am happy to be here and I love having a ton of new material to read through!
kaolin
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:33 AM

Hmm. My bio ~ Kaolin Fire is a conglomeration of ideas, side projects, and experiments. Outside of his primary occupation, he also develops computer games, edits Greatest Uncommon Denominator Magazine, and very occasionally teaches computer science.

I've had a handful of pro sales (poetry and fiction), more semi-pro, have an absurd amount of half-written or written-but-needs-revision stories and poems that I'm trying to come to grips with.

Many of my publications-to-date can be read online, and are linked from my website ~ http://www.erif.org/

Annnnd I /think/ I've managed to post my first "book" (short story).

Hello all!
Sherry
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:00 PM

Howdy!

My name is Sherry, and I was given the opportunity to become a part of this community by a fellow writing friend. And thank her I did. This is an honor for me. I like to think I can write historical romance, and I’m of the firm belief that any story can be made better with romance or a hot sex scene. I’m working on an erotica now, but not ready to post it here – yet. I’m still feeling my way around the site. I live in a small town in Texas, have worked in the medical field for 15 years, and have 2 grown children with an 8 month old granddaughter. I’m always willing to help with any kind of medical questions, so feel free.

Victoria L White
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:45 PM
Hola. Victoria Lee White here. I'd been seeing Colleen's tweets about the #sekritproject so much that I just had to join to fulfill my curiosity.

I write mainly LGBTQ-centric works in high fantasy, urban fantasy, and science fiction. Outside of writing, I'm a computer programmer, specifically in web development and the PHP/MySQL universe.

I don't have anything to post just yet, but hopefully will soon once I get a few other writing projects off my plate.
CPBlackburn
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:03 AM

Hi! I'm Candace and I write paranormal romance. I'm here because it's time to kick this journey to publication up a notch. Not only do I love to write but I'm a huge fan of the written word and the industry in general. We get to create stuff that will live on for generations. I love the thought of people picking up my work 50 years from now and reading it. I don't have aspirations of becoming the next industry juggernaut, I just want to tell the stories about the characters who haunt me day and night (hence the insane coffee addiction I have) and entertain people while I do so. And hey, I'm not going to lie, making money for doing something I love would rock.

I'm going to review a few of the thousands of books I have read so I can get some of my work posted. I hope you guys will check it out.
KristenH
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:17 PM

Hello. My name is Kristen. I write thrillers and romantic suspense. I'm here to get feedback on my work, even my two mss I'm shopping around. It's so hard to find true beta readers/crit partners, when mine leave, due to busy schedules. I have a short story, Buried Secrets, up for the past 2.5 weeks, under General Mystery, since I couldn't find a place to categorize it. It's gotten two reviews. Why am I not getting more, like the others? I'll be doing a revision next weekend, before I upload my novel. Please feel free to connect with me.
LauraKCurtis
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2011 2:42 AM

Kristen -

Heck, my book's been up for ages and only has one review. I don't think there are many mystery folks here. The romances seem to have more reviews.
snurf
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:08 AM

Hi Laura,

You're on my LIST!! I just haven't gotten to you yet. Live intervened and bit me in the butt recently, but I hope to be back on task soon.

Snurf
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:48 PM

i have a dozen books to read and review on here, my personal project, an anthology I was editing, was taking up all my reading time. that is done!
Reziac
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 11:19 PM

Is this thing on?? After a war with the browser requirements, I'm finally here.

I write somewhere between space opera and soft-SF, character-driven stuff. Some editing experience outside of my species. I'm a pro dog trainer in Real Life[tm].

Where do I pick up my little teeny eyes, for these little teeny fonts??
LauraKCurtis
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2011 4:32 PM

Reziac-

Sounds like good stuff!

I've found that "zoom" really helps on the tiny fonts. On a Mac, you just hit COMMAND and + and the page zooms in. I am not sure what the key command is on a PC, but surely someone here does.
rdouek
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 4:11 PM

Hi, I'm Rich Douek, also a little late to the party due to me having an insane couple of months at work.

I write fantasy and science fiction, currently I'm on a steampunk-with-wizards kind of kick. I have published a few short stories, and I'd like to write a novel someday.

Right now, I'm working on a comic book/graphic novel... script is underway and I'm in the middle of looking for an artist, which should be fun.Will have more info soon.

I wanted to join because I find I work a lot better when I'm talking to/interacting with other writers and talented people. It gets me motivated.

Looking forward to having some fun and meeting some cool people!

Rich
David Kazzie
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 8:16 PM

Hi,

I joined up because it seemed like a cool idea, and I wanted to be involved from the beginning. I write comic thrillers, and I am currently outlining my new novel.

I've published a couple short stories in online magazines that I'm not sure even exist anymore -- my claim to fame so far is that I'm the author of the animated So You Want to Write a Novel video, which has nearly 200,000 hits on YouTube. I also wrote one about law school that has about 1.4 million hits.

Great to be here.
Senny Dreadful
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 10:12 PM

Greetings all!

Just this minute signed up due to some chatter on Twitter- looks like a very exciting project! I'm a fantasy/horror writer currently wrestling with a lot of editing, so hopefully the incentive to post stuff on here will keep me working!

I look forward to reading some fabulous stories and getting to know my fellow writers
Ian J Smethurst
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:04 PM

Hello all!

I am Ian J. Smethurst, I am typically a science-fiction and fantasy writer, although I have uploaded a piece in the supernatural thriller segment, called Afterlife, but hey ho!

I decided to join the site on recommendation from a friend, and I have to admit being somewhat intrigued myself.

Kindest regards.

Ian.
kbmakansi
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:14 AM

Hi all,

I was/am a beta user who got side-tracked by life. Just today I finished reviewing my first three books.

I write lots of things, but my current obsession is historical fiction and Ancient Greece. The book I uploaded is Oracles of Delphi set in 340 BCE. It's a murder mystery/romance and, hopefully, the first in a wildly successful series ala Lindsey Davis.

In my "day job," I'm the co-founder of Blank Slate Press-a small press dedicated to "discovering, nurturing, publishing and promoting" new voices from the greater St. Louis region. We've got two books out and we're in the process of selecting two new authors.

I'm looking forward to getting some valuable feedback and building new relationships within the writing/publishing community.

Kristy
Michael J Lee
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 2:46 PM

Hello there,

I'm Michael J. Lee. I just recently uploaded the first 7 chapters of my paranormal romance epic My Frankenstein.

You can also follow me on Twitter @GoldenAgeofGeek

I'm currently working on two more projects that I'll be posting here. From Russia With Blood, Vampire Romance/Espionage Action Thriller.

And I'm currently working on a humorous "Worst Case Scenario" type manuscript The Alien Invader's Strategy Guide. Let's face it it's the aliens who need help. They have centuries of technology on us and they're the ones who always get their butts kicked!
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:13 PM

Hello, I'm LeeAnna and I found out this site existed from my creative writing professor, so I decided to give it a whirl.

I am currently working on a traditional/ high fantasy novel (which I have been working on for 8 years, but that is what I get for being a full time student). Only 4 of the chapters are up here out of 37, so if I get good feedback, maybe I'll put up the rest soon (that is up to chapter 11. They are the only ones I have typed up. I long hand everything.)

I also write short fiction, so I might put that up too.

I can also be found on blewskymoon.deviantart.com. (More of my work is posted there.

Twitter is @blewskymoon.

I am mostly known for giving honest feedback on work, so don't knee jerk if you don't like what I say. I have a tendency to be a tad abrasive, but everyone I have worked with appreciates my input. Feel free to talk to me. I don't bite!
Steve Weiler
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 1:00 AM

Hello, I'm Steve Weiler. I found out out this site when I finally decided to set up a site for myself and sign up for twitter. BookCountry was in a tweet from one of the people I am following. I checked it out and decided to try it out.

I am a software developer for an insurance agency. Recently they have asked me to get into accounting. I guess they think if I am a programmer, I can make the numbers add up.I have been working on a novel for 6 years.
It transplants mythological creatures into a science fiction setting.
I am going to try to get it published. I am split between the traditional route and self publishing.

I am at steveweiler.com. I don't have much on site yet as I have just started it and am still configuring a few things.

Twitter is @steve_weiler.
Revenant
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 6:25 PM
My name is Scott and I'm a writer based out of North Carolina. I will be teaching while working on my new novel, Revenant. The story is a Tolkien-like tale of the undead. Go ahead and check it out or follow me on twitter...

@RevenantBook
Joan Rylen
Posted: Monday, May 2, 2011 8:43 PM

Hey! I'm Robbyn, on the left, and Johnell is my co-author, on the right. We have written Getaway Girlz under the pen name Joan Rylen.

Our book is based on our annual girl's trips, but unlike our book, no one has died or been suspected of murder on our trips. We hope it makes for a great story though!

An extra perk with writing about our girl's trips, is that we now get to write them off on our taxes. Research!
Paroma
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 5:15 AM

Hello. I am Paroma, student and hopeful writer based in Calcutta, India. I write as my mood dictates but my favourite genres are high fantasy and traditional historical romance.
:]
Liz OT
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 4:25 PM

Heya, I'm Liz. I'm a student, attempting to balance coursework with the outside world. Since I'm feeling out this site instead of studying for this week's exams, however, I'd say you have a pretty good grasp on how that's going. Looking forward to getting kneck-deep in all of your work.
Elizabeth OConnor
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2011 4:53 AM

Hi, I'm Beth. I finished my first novel , The Dorian Stone, over a month ago and am looking for a community where I can learn more tricks of the trade and get some constructive feedback on my work. I am a mother of two, a makeup artist, a lover of horror and physics and books, books, books. I have posted my prologue and first chapter with more to come later. I am very excited to bond with some fellow writers!

Jump to different Forum...