RSS Feed Print
Main Characters in a Series
Joan Rylen
Posted: Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:01 PM

We could use your input!  We have a series of at least 7 books planned.  The books will all take place on a vacation for the same 4 characters in our first book, Getaway Girlz.   All of the books will have a caper/conflict, thus the mystery genre.

Getaway Girlz is written from Vivian’s perspective and she is the main character.  The conflict happens to her character.

Should we switch main characters in the subsequent books?  Tell the story from one of the other 3 girl’s perspective and have the conflict happen to them?

Or should we keep Vivian as the MC in each book and always have the conflict happen to her?  Will it get old?

Thanks,

Johnell & Robbyn

Robert C Roman
Posted: Monday, May 30, 2011 12:27 AM

I'd say go with a different MC in each of the first four, then do some multi-POV books in the later sections. But that's me. I'm known for being odd...
ME Chick
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 10:27 PM

I'd go with changing the MC each book. Besides letting us meet the other characters on a more intimate level, it also solves possible time/realism issues. If it's the same character, book after book, then it can get unrealistic that so much could happen to one person so often. Break it up with different MCs, then the stories can alternate, or even take place in parallel (if you want a real challenge).
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2011 12:42 AM

I agree with Robert, give each girl her own book then switch POV's throughout the last three books. I've read a few series where this is done and I've liked them all, especially if the girls are really different. It can be fun seeing how each views different situations and each other.
E D Johnson
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:02 PM

Maybe I'll be the odd one out here, but...

Let us accept a few potential givens here.

A reader that liked book 1 will expect a similar showing from book 2.
A reader that picks up book 2 will expect a continuation of the story from book 1.
Readers may have, if all things work out correctly, formed an attachment to Vivian as an MC.

Now, one of the interesting things about the mystery genre is that in a series, the MC is rarely the DIRECT target of the actual mystery. Yes, the come under scrutiny, get attacked, etc. etc., but initially, the MC is usually brought in after an initial problem arises.

So why not leave Vivian as the MC and let the conflicts happen to whichever character you had planned for it to happen to? Vivian can still experience and be concerned about the events, and obviously if she is a good friend, she would be more than happy to help solve another mystery. It gives your reader a stable place to watch from while still letting your plot flow organically.

That is just a thought. In a mystery series, I know people get familiar with the POV character. The Sherlock Holmes stories have Watson, and I know I have enjoyed keeping Dresden as the main POV character for Butcher's series.
Joan Rylen
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:41 PM

Wow! So much great feedback. Thanks to all of you for your insight.

Jump to different Forum...