RSS Feed Print
Light-hearted Romance - who do you read?
Judi Fennell
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 12:31 AM

I'll start off with mentioning my all-time favorite book EVAH - Jill Barnett's Bewitching. And there was no one happier than I when Jill told me it's available on Kindle. I think I've read it 3 times since I downloaded it.

Who else?

CarlaKempert
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 1:50 AM

Jenny Crusie, first and foremost. She'd be an autobuy on release day if I could afford hardcovers. (Kindle copies are good but anything over $10 makes me think seriously first.) I love her snark, her characters are alive, and sometimes I don't know if I want to laugh or cry. (Dogs and Goddesses, OMG! My new favorite, even over Bet Me or Welcome to Temptation. When Sam...oh, oops; almost spilled the beans.) Then there's YOU, and Susan Elizabeth Phillips (though the spoiled rich heroines are
Jill Myles
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 2:01 AM

Carla, your response got cut off! I wonder if there's a character limit or a cut that's supposed to be in there somewhere? I don't read a ton of lighter stuff, which is weird because my stuff is lighter. But I do enjoy Julie Garwood (who is lighter) and some of Katie Macalister, and Michelle Rowen.
Eliza
Posted: Friday, March 4, 2011 2:16 AM

I loved, loved, loved DOGS AND GODDESSES. I tried to mention Jenny Crusie earlier but was getting an error message.
Jessica Reilly
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 3:31 AM

Anything by Julia Quinn is awesome and guaranteed to make me laugh. My all time favorite is 'How to Marry a Marquis'. It's laugh out loud funny.
Judi Fennell
Posted: Monday, March 7, 2011 12:18 PM

Jill, I'll have to give yours a try. You're new to me and I love light-hearted. Yeah, Jenny Crusie is a good one. Jessica - my favorite JQ was When He Was Wicked. Not so much light-hearted, probably her most serious one to date, but the emotions in that one just reeled me in and hooked me. That's one for my keeper shelf.
Samantha Jane
Posted: Tuesday, March 8, 2011 7:36 AM

I love ANYTHING having to do with Johanna Lindsey or Jude Deveraux. Both authors really suck you into the vortex of their characters' worlds. I like the stand alones, but I REALLY dig the series. For Lindsay, it's the Malorys that get me, and for Deveraux, it's the Montgomery/Taggert clans that keep me interested. There is so much fun and laughter and tears involved when I read any of these books.
Judi Fennell
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 12:33 AM

Samantha - yep, I totally hear you on that. Jude's A Knight In Shining Armor is on my keeper shelf!
KathleenCollins
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:50 AM

Katie MacAlister's contemporaries are my go-to books when I want something light or need a laugh. Lynsay Sands historicals also are guaranteed to make me laugh.
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Wednesday, March 9, 2011 5:32 PM
I'm a huge fan of Sabrina Jeffries's and Karen Hawkins's historicals for some light Regency and Scottish action. They're both so delightful and smart!
LexieGirl
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 2:14 AM

Sarah MacLean for historicals, Molly Harper for paranormals, Gail Carriger for Historical Paranormals, oh Meg Cabot's books from a few years ago (Every Boy Has One, Boy Meets Girl, The Boy Next Door) are some of my favorite contemporary romances and oh! oh! Kristan Higgins is a recent love of mine!
Cid
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:18 PM

Ooooh, Lexie hit it on the head with Sarah MacLean for historicals. I'm soooooooo ready for her next book!

Other light hearted romance I like to read...

Victoria Dahl's contemporaries. They're funny and sexy and so much fun!

The Lucy Valentine novels. Very sweet mysteries with nice tension and not much graphic sex.

Dakota Cassidy, anything she writes really!

Michele Bardsley's Broken Heart series, paranormal romance that's supah funny!
Judi Fennell
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 1:10 AM

And now I have more to add to my TBR pile... sigh.

How do I add TIME to that pile?
slhunsberger
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 5:14 AM

I really like Stephanie Laurens because her female MCs are always really strong and independent. No swooning!
Marcie
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 2:32 PM

My current favourite is Karen Hawkins' series set in Glory, North Carolina. So far there are just two books -- Talk of the Town, and Lois Lane Tells All. The setting seems to be outside her norm so I hope she sticks with the line. She does a great job balancing romance, suspense, and humour.
NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2011 9:04 PM

A couple of people already mentioned two of my favorites: JQ's When He Was Wicked and How To Marry a Marquis. I also really liked her What Happens in London (though all of hers are GREAT!).

I like Sabrina Jeffries, Karen Hawkins, Sarah MacLean, Teresa Medeiros, and Tessa Dare, too. Oh, goodness. I'll stop there or I'll be here forever.

Thanks for all those recommendations. I'm always looking for new-to-me authors for my TBR pile.
judyblackcloud
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 1:04 AM

I second Gail Carriger! But lately, almost anything and everything from Carina Press has been wonderful! And the fact that I can download instantly to my kindle? That means danger for my wallet!
LisaMarie
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:06 PM

Another Jenny Cruisie fan here. Anything she writes is going to be golden. I'll also buy anything by Sarah Bird. She's not technically a romance writer, but her books always have a strong element of romance in them. "The Boyfriend School," which is about an aspiring romance writer, is simply awesome. Bird has the ability to make you laugh and cry without an abrupt departure in style.

I recently discovered Louisa Edwards' "Recipe for Love" series -- awesome stuff. Cruisie fans would probably love her novels. And anything published by Red Dress Ink is going to be on my wish list.
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Friday, March 18, 2011 12:38 AM

My Kindle is going to get a workout tonight. I'm going to download To Marry and Marquis right now.

One of my favorite authors is re-releasing my favorite romance book of all time next month. Her name is Kathleen Gilles Seidel and she doesn't have a lot of books out but the ones that are...

This woman can write characters that you would SWEAR actually exist somewhere. Her characters just leave me in awe. My favorite is Summer's End, it's getting re-released next month. Again is a favorite of mine too. Seidel has recently branched into straight fiction but I'm still loving her style.
mimiwells
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 12:57 AM

I'm with Lexie--Kristan Higgins is a new favorite. Jenny Crusie is a hoot (anyone who writes smart-alecky is practically an auto-buy). And LisaMarie--did you know they made a movie forever ago from THE BOYFRIEND SCHOOL? It's cheesy and awful and I just love it to pieces: "Don't Tell Her It's Me" with Steve Guttenberg (of all people) as the hero and Shelley Long as the aspiring romance writer. There's also a bit from the "Romance Writers of America" convention that looks a lot more like RT, with buff cover models walking in and out of the frame. Total Velveeta, but a guilty pleasure nonetheless.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2011 3:16 PM

Am I going to be strung up from a post for mentioning MaryJanice Davidson? She makes me giggle.
Monday
Posted: Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:02 PM

@Robert C Roman, I hope not! I was going to mention MaryJanice Davidson as well. I love her character's voices and the one time I got to hear her speak I thought I would pee myself because I was laughing that hard.

I also love older Jayne Ann Krentz and Amanda Quick. (I like the new stuff, but for light, I go back to the older ones.) They always have light parts in them and eccentric characters even when some parts of the book are more serious.

Jennifer Crusie, to, you know, preach to the choir, is also one of my favorites.

KellyMaher
Posted: Friday, March 25, 2011 4:21 AM

A lot of my favorites have already been mentioned, so I'll toss Julie James into the pile. Contemporaries where, more often than not, it's "dislike at first sight" for her heroes and heroines.
Linna Lee
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 10:28 PM

I'm with Kelly! Julie James is fantastic! She's a new find for me, and I mourn the fact that she only has four books out so far. PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT had me laughing out loud throughout.

Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Rachel Gibson, and Kieran Kramer are other favorites.
Kim Ann McCann
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:27 PM

Wow, well I guess I'm joining the group as far as being a Jennifer Crusie fan! I also like Susan Donovan, Erin McCarthy, Debbie Macomber and my latest favorite author is Kristan Higgins. She has me laughing throughout her books but also throws in a good cry here and there. I love how she incorporates a dog into every story. I've bought every one of her books for my Nook...... still working on them!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:21 PM

Just chiming in to say I got to meet MJD at RT. She's as nice in person as you'd imagine.
Rebecca Kovar
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:17 PM

Katie MacAlister and Gail Carriger are both go-to reads when I want my romance with laughs. I also adore their imperfect heroines.

Jump to different Forum...