RSS Feed Print
Genres
nfuschetti
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 5:51 PM

Something I find myself often conflicted with is how many writers only write in one genre, and when they do decide to branch out into another genre, they use another name.

I find that I tend to write in fantasy, and for a long time, it was high/epic fantasy. I'm beginning to realize various sub-genres, such as urban fantasy, or paranormal. I find that it's important for a writer to try and branch out into different genres or subgenres.

I find that I am so in love with reading so many genres...everything from fantasy to romance to scifi to mystery to thriller, that I too, want to write in all of these genres. Of course, since my foray into other genres has so far been minimal, I am worried about how well I will do, but I think it's important that we don't limit ourselves to one genre.

What about everyone else? Do you often find yourselves writing in one genre or branching out and experimenting with many different forms?
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 10:14 PM

I would like to stick to one genre (historical fiction) but I have found myself also writing fantasy. In some ways, the fact that I like history extends to the fantasy world as it is a mixture of medieval times and the 18th century. In my opinion, you should follow the muse wherever it takes you.
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 11:52 AM
I agree with Alexandria.

Don't worry about your experience. The first time you started writing fantasy, I'm sure you felt the same way. Now that you're comfortable, it might be good to branch out. See what else you can do. Who knows, maybe you'll find another genre you prefer.

My portfolio consists of picture books, YA and Science Fiction novels.

I'm not published, but working toward that in 2011.

Shannon Borg
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 1:46 PM

I think you should not worry about this. Look at someone like Ursula LeGuin or Philip K. Dick. They write in different genres - good (or in their case, great) writing is good writing! 

in my own experience, I'm a wine columnist, i have published a book of poems and a book on food/chefs, and i have this novel I'm working on...glad to be among fiction writing folk for a while! the world has changed!  Everybody does everything these days! 

I'm trying to review as many books as i can, and i'd love to hear feedback on mine from all y'all. Especially since I'm not sure of my genre yet...but there are only 2 chapters up, so it is probably hard for others to tell. 

Anyway, I look forward to reading your books!
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, January 19, 2012 4:51 PM

From a traditional publishing standpoint, name recognition is HUGE. And people expect certain things from people. Imagine if Stephen King released a romance novel....

So once you have a name in one genre, why would you go outside the genre? You'd be practically starting over!  And actually, several authors DID go multi-genre, but from what I've heard, used pseudonyms for other genre's.

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:57 PM

I write under three names. Sinara Ellis is a pen name used for the detective series and her own romantic comedy list, I write. Autumn Rosen (my real name) for the serious stuff and Ammari Sky for my YA.
You really have to do this so readers are not confused or disturbed, because I don't think Stephen King could write a romance novel without a few heads rolling.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:00 AM

I'm writing a blog post about this right now. Since I realized I was writing in two genres, I realized I would need to use a pen name (I plan to publish under my own name for one genre) to avoid any confusion. Of course the debate now is what will be my pen name and which genre will I publish under it!
Marcie
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:44 AM

I write under 3 names - one for adult, one for juvenile, and one for erotica. Since I'm out of names, I guess it's time to double back and write a second book in a genre I've already done

Jump to different Forum...