RSS Feed Print
Steampunk: Earth vs. Second World settings
J Boone Dryden
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 4:49 PM

After attending CONvergence this year, I've been inspired. It was themed "The Future Through the Past," so there were a lot of Steampunk and other retro-futurist discussions, which I thoroughly enjoyed and gained insight from.

So here's my question: what are folks' thoughts on the works of Steampunk that are set in our world -- Britain, America, et al -- compared to those set in either recognizably "not" Earth or indistinguishable as our world (ie vague "otherworld")? Do you think that there is any growing trend in this? Any benefit or downside to either or both? 

Some examples of each: Earth -- "Difference Engine," "Affinity Bridge," "Boneshaker." Whereas not-Earth: "Court of the Air," and a host of short works from the two Steampunk antho's by the VanderMeer's.

Joe Selby
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 7:59 PM

As steampunk fully establishes itself as a subgenre, I do not like one setting preference over the other as long as the story is good. With that said, however, the established subgenre is growing increasingly rigid in that steampunk should be set on Earth, and with this I disagree. I see steampunk as an adjective to be added to something else. I don't think it requires restriction to Victorian England/post-Civil War America. It's a style, one that can be used in myriad settings.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 2:40 AM

Joe -

I tend to agree. I know there are a lot of purists who think that steampunk should only be in a recognizably Victorian-era European setting, but that's far too rigid for me.

I would argue that a book like China Mieville's Perdido Street Station fits comfortably within both New Weird and Steampunk, and it's set in an entirely fictional secondary world.

Additionally, Alex Irvine wrote a compelling steampunk novel called The Narrows set in 1940s Detroit, in a Ford factory of all things. It was AMAZING.

For me, steampunk is a juxtaposition of magic and non-computer-age (or even non-electronics-age) technology. The actual setting isn't as important and frankly, steam-powered engines don't always have to factor into anymore.

I did an interview about steampunk a few years back where I talked a little bit about the different kinds of books that might fit into that category:
http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2008/09/steampunk-is-new-black.html

Cheers!

Colleen

Jump to different Forum...