RSS Feed Print
Steampunk - Fad or here to stay?
Matthew Sylvester
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:52 PM

What do you think about the way that Steampunk is spreading right now? Is it a fad, or is this going to be a long-lasting sub-culture, which is going to spawn its own sub-genres (since there does seem to be a massive deviation between the 'purist-Victoriana school' and the 'weird wild west leather-wearing punk school?
Arcadia Divine
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 3:59 AM

I do think of steampunk as a fad but, like everything, it's going to teeter-totter in popularity. I don't think it'll ever die out.
jim preston
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:44 PM

Steampunk is currently a fad, but only in the sense that there is so much of it about (and much pretty bad). We'll see some more steampunkish movies come out, the trend will increase, then implode due to the flooding of the market with endless titles. Most of these will be pretty bad and involve women wearing goggles (why does everyone wear goggles?) fighting it out wioth a steam powered robot on the top of a zeppelin.

Then it will settle down and the "jumping on the band wagon" people will go somewhere else, and let the folks that really like the genre have it for themselves. Much like Zombie fiction is now doing.

So yeah, it'll be around, just it may drive readers away for a while before they remember there is some good stuff out there other than the .99 E-books on amazon.
Joe Selby
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:08 PM

I want to say here to stay but it's surprising how focused steampunk has become in its definition. It used to encompass a wider swath of creative possibilities (clockwork used to be rolled up in steampunk). Any more, steampunk only applies to set-on-Earth, circa Victorian, planes and zeppelins adventure fiction. While there's nothing wrong with that, it's incredibly limiting and as such, I think the popularity of those stories will run their course until a resurgence comes again as part of the natural cycle of these things.

I was first introduced to steampunk in a fantasy setting and loved it. I don't see any such stories on the market right now.
Matthew Sylvester
Posted: Sunday, May 1, 2011 8:20 PM

@joeselby Take a look at my book
Elaine Turner
Posted: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 7:17 PM

Steampunk has a growing community that not only involves novels and costumes, but music and variety shows. I think that it might be trending as a fad right now, but Steampunk has appeal to so many people across age and culture that I do not think it will go away.

The society of Steampunk has exploded and I doubt it will dwindle anytime soon. Since it is so new I don't think there have been many quality stories written and published. The fact that there are so many .99 cent Amazon books out there attests to that.

Yet Steampunk in many ways is in it's infancy. I do not believe that it is limiting. Diselpunk and Cyberpunk and even Post-Apocalyptic are cousins to Steampunk and if one ventures forth into the community one will find that they all get along like a family. Sure they might not agree on everything, but they have a similar vision.

Steampunk multiculturalism is a hot topic right now. If you are interested in why Steampunk is a hodgepodge and not unilateral in it's vision (like many SF versions of vampire series) check out BeyondVictoriana. It's a blog about multiculturalism and the Steampunk community.

I don't think that Steampunk will turn out to be a fad in the end. There have been too many Conventions across the globe and genuine interest in it for it to go anywhere other than up to the aether anytime soon.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:05 PM

Bumping this up!

I overheard a lot of talk about the popularity of Steampunk at Book Expo this year so I thought we should revisit this conversation.

What do you think?
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2012 4:42 PM

It's still going strong, it has a heavy nostalgia element, and it's spawning its own subgenres.  In fact, part of my writing time right now is story plotting and character design for a Dieselpunk (steampunk with a wwI wwII feel) web comic I'm working on with an artist.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2012 9:44 AM

That sounds really cool, Alexander! 

I'd love to see some more steampunk pieces on Book Country, even though in your case it might not be possible to share with the community because of the format. 

Be sure to share info about it when it's ready!

Cheers.
Nevena
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:11 PM

well, since I'm the script writer, not the artist, I do think it would be shareable, not quite within the intended scope of the website, but I may novelize it as well as I go.

Allen Curtis Meissner
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 11:05 AM

I have the feeling that Steampunk is here to stay . There are so many possibilities with the sub-genre , and there are many steampunk parodies of contemporary stories that I don't forsee it leaving anytime within even the distant future .
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:52 PM

This might not be the place but this question makes me wonder: What happened to CyberPunk?  Is Steampunk fitting into that market? 

I have an idea for a Steampunk story but by the time I get it out of my head, the market will likely change.  Not sure it's worth it.

Jump to different Forum...