RSS Feed Print
Books you've read in September
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2015 3:29 PM

Hello there!

It's only a few days into the month, but I'm almost done with READY PLAYER ONE- by Ernest Cline .  What I find interesting, but Very depressing, is how few female authors and directors are listed when the main character does a run down of the 'classic writing' there's no a single female author listed.

Douglas Adams, Kurt Vonnegut, Neal Stephenson, Richard K. Morgan, Stephen King, Orson Scott Card, Terry Pratchett, Terry Brooks, Ray Bradbury, Joe Haldeman, Robert Heinlein, J.R.R. Tolkien, Jack Vance, William Gibson, Neil Gaiman, Bruce Sterling, Michael Moorcock, John Scalzi, Roger Zelazny

Not a SINGLE female in the authors or directors. 

No Anne Mccaffrey. No Ursula K. Le Guin.  No  Elizabeth Moon . No Anne Rice .... It's like females don't count as worthy of note.

I get that you can't name them all, but COME ON--not a SINGLE female fantasy/sci-fi author mentioned?  That really made me angry.  

Ok, off my soap box now. *fixes necklace*

On deck I have CRYSTAL DRAGON by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (I managed to get Crystal Soldier finished in Aug to make an additional August read.)   Will likely also read BEAUTIFUL SECRET by Christina Lauren ahem.  Need my smut ya know.

What is everyone else reading?  I figure I'd start out early in the month and we can coffee-talk about our reading (or vent as I just did about the READY PLAYER ONE)  Also, while I'm griping about that book, there's a whole lot of 'telling', over two chapters downloading background.  I might be nitpicking about it now so I'll let others decide, I like the 'Modern day Willie Wonka' twist but even that is pretty blatant. Maybe my attitude will soften as I start getting into the actual story but I'm not feeling very charitable.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:32 AM

Interesting! This is not actually the first time I have heard this complaint about READY PLAYER ONE, but I've also heard that it is really good. I understand the sequel just came out, too. Do you think you'll read it?

Also, @Diana--Elizabeth Moon is one of our Book Country members! I will send you a connection recommendation. I think you 2 would get along swimmingly!

What I've read so far in September: HAUSFRAU by Jill Alexander Essbaum, which was, well . . . um . . . intense. Also, I've been listening to the audiobook versions of BAD FEMINIST (essays by Roxane Gay) and CIRCLING THE SUN by Paula McClain. Not sure how I feel about either, though I'm engaged enough to keep going. I read about 130 pages of a Marian Keyes book called ANYBODY OUT THERE and really surprised myself by not being able to get into it. Last night, I read the first story in GET IN TROUBLE by Kelly Link, and it was really good. I usually don't read short story collections all in one go, but I might go back to this later today.

What else are others reading this month??

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2015 10:52 PM

Hey Lucy -- I rather enjoy READY PLAYER ONE despite the male-bias. It's a cute story.  I will likely pick up the sequel and read it.  

I'm really looking forward to a new Jim Butcher book -- The Cinder Spires: The Aeronaut's Windlass (It's out the end of this month.....mmmm!!!)

Ok...now honestly--maybe people are swamped with school going on. That's a killer for the library for sure!

Jump to different Forum...