RSS Feed Print
Does your Book Country profile need a makeover?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:04 PM

Hey folks. You know I love browsing everybody's Book Country profiles. When was the last time you looked at yours and updated it?

Book Country profiles are a great way to position your platform as a writer, as well as help the community get to know more about you. Last fall I put together this post with tips for filling out your profile--you might take a look and see if you are missing anything.

Another thing I want to make sure people are doing is including their published work in their bio or reading and writing section. Even if it's not work that is posted on Book Country, you're missing an opportunity to show off your publications if you don't mention them explicitly on your profile. I am seeing a LOT of folks who have neglected to even mention that they have books available in their profiles.

?????

*end rant*

biggrin

AlysArden
Posted: Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:30 PM

Thanks for the reminder! My profile def needed a refresher!   biggrin
gloria piper
Posted: Friday, November 7, 2014 10:17 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the rant. I just described some of my published books in my profile.

Gloria Piper

jessicahawkins
Posted: Saturday, November 8, 2014 1:50 AM

Good tip! I kind of already thought I had done this, but I hadn't confused

I'm all fixed up now, though. Thanks, Lucy!

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, November 10, 2014 12:11 PM

Both of your profiles look great! Love seeing what you've accomplished recently!
Lisa Hoekstra
Posted: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 2:34 AM

I was wondering recently if it would be valuable as a creative writer to put non-creative published works (ie. articles published in magazines). Would advertising being published as a lifestyle/freelance writer be a valuable promotional tool for the novel/fiction industry? 

I ask because I've noticed that bios (at least in the magazine industry) tend to cater to the topic matter. Ie. if it's a lifestyle magazine, the bios try to focus on the author's previous lifestyle publications; wine, food and drink, focus on the author's expertise in culinary arts/wine tasting, etc. The idea being to show that the author is an expert in the field/topic covered in the article. 

Does that apply to fiction as well? Should bios/profiles mention writing and hobbies related to the genre of the book only? (ex. Supernatural novel about werewolves and vampires; bio talks about how the author is a night owl with wilderness survival training). Or can they be more inclusive: "A lifestyle journalist by day and a wilderness survival expert by night."

Jump to different Forum...