RSS Feed Print
Excited to be here
Jonathan L
Posted: Sunday, April 6, 2014 12:01 AM

Hello, my name is Jonathan. This is my first time on a site like this. I am 28, married and the father of a bookworm son. I have been writing poetry and lyrics since I was 13, and added fictional prose about ten years ago. I stopped writing poetry and song lyrics a few years ago to focus on stories. I have never finished a full novel, but I've written several short stories.
I have posted the first part of my first attempt at a full length novel here. It is called The Howling of Ghosts. It is a crime, drama, mystery, thriller. Actually I don't know which genre it really belongs in. I hope you all can help me. Please be brutally honest and help me make my book the best it can be!
Also I hope to read and review as many of your books as possible. I don't want thus to be one sided. I want to help you folks write awesome novels as well! We are all aspiring writers. Let's work together and encourage each other.
Thanks!

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 1:30 PM

Hi Jonathan,

I read your post on Sabrina's introduction thread before I saw this one, but I think it's ok for me to say hi in both places, right? It's fun to get to know you and hear more about your work.

It's great that you are using Book Country to figure out the genre of THE HOWLING OF GHOSTS. Have you taken a spin through our genre and subgenre pages via the Genre Map? You can also check out our blog where we have posts on genre conventions--those might help you as you are figuring things out.

Let me know if I can help with anything as you are looking around!

Lucy

Book County Community and Engagement Manager

Jonathan L
Posted: Monday, April 7, 2014 9:31 PM

Hello Lucy.

Thank you for the welcome. I love the site. I kind of just jumped right in. I've been reading and reviewing the work of others. It amazes me the talent everyone has here. I love the genre map. It is a really fun way to explore and just an all around cool feature. One thing I like about this site so far is that it seems everyone is pretty friendly. I read reviews on books with only one star and they are filled with encouraging words. It seems like people want to be better writers and help others be better writers. That is why I am here. I want to offer all I have learned and I am open to hearing any input on my work.

I will read the genre conventions link you included, I hope that will help. It isn't incredibly important at the moment, but as I work on my book eventually I will need to find the right genre home for it.

Once again thank you for the welcome and I am really excited to be here!

Jump to different Forum...