RSS Feed Print
Are agents afraid of new voices?
MarieJo Fortis
Posted: Monday, February 20, 2012 1:44 PM

With the publishing world in a state of disarray, books in solid and electronic forms, famous authors deciding to go the direct money route by self-publishing, you would think that agents would stop and think: Perhaps I should look for that fresh new voice, or that bold voice, in case more of my clients decide to abandon me to make larger profits on amazon.com.

Instead, they seem to take a fetal position and wait for what will happen.  I can understand the need to put bread on the table.  I can even understand the need to add a little butter on the bread.  But what about what the French call “le gout du risque”?  For there is risk in the arts, and literature, even genre literature, is an art.  And without risk there is no art.  Without art there is no humanity.

So we come back to the question that has been posed time and again lately? Do we need agents?  

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2012 2:19 PM

Bumping this up so people see it.

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Thursday, June 21, 2012 1:05 AM

I have received literally hundreds of rejections from agents over the last 2.5 years. I gave up and self-published only to have a professional reviewer tell me that I needed to find a publisher. I laughed and ignored the advice at first.
My novel, My Four Fathers & Eleanor was called a niche book and unsalable. I almost tossed the manuscript until I remembered what Stephen King wrote in his book "On Writing," Get a publisher and then when you need one and can afford to, find an agent." So I did. Apparently a previously self published novel was not a niche as I was told. I queried one publisher two weeks ago, they asked to see my manuscript and I got a contract offer yesterday.
I do believe agents are afraid to a point, I'm not discounting their concerns but the publishing world is changing and because it is and because no one thought my work was worth the time of day, I don't have to share my royalties with anyone past the publisher. Someday I might chase down an agent but until a little more eye opening happens, I'll be keeping the 15-20% they would otherwise take.
As soon as the first book hits shelves I'll be offering up the other 10 completed novels I have and work on the other 8 in various stages.
My goal is to be read and I finally found someone who was willing to do it.

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2012 3:35 AM

Update. The publisher has since picked up another one of my novels. Looks like I may have back to back releases, fall/winter 2012.

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:23 PM

Congrats, Sinnie! That's great news. 

Jump to different Forum...