RSS Feed Print
Progress Report
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:11 AM

Yay! Congratulations, Nicki! Good luck trying to write a novel before the baby is due.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:51 PM

Yahoooo Nikki!
Now, can I write this response in the time the conception of my first child took?..... Darn nearly made it!
Great news, I'm sure you're on cloud nine!
Mike

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:17 PM
@ Nicki Hill "I mean, authentic ones" To me, there's an enormous difference between an ego stroke and praise. An ego stroke is someone blowing sunshine up your ass. True praise is what you were calling constructive criticism.

@ Alexandria Brim "I hadn't been too focused on the title but I wanted to take advantage of the artists on the NaNoWriMo site to get a cover" Good plan! I'm still stuck with "Destiny's Story" until something better comes along.

@ LeeAnna Holt "I love Moleskine notebooks for their paper, but there is no way I could afford to get the portfolio size" I hear you. I've recently developed a lot of Moleskine. I'd love to be able to drop the money on a "writer's kit" whenever I wanted one, but yegad. They're pricey.

"Pens, same deal. Have to get cheap ones. I kill them so fast." Wal-Mart back-to-school sales in July are among my favorite friends - especially the way prices have gone up; today you pay 80 cents for 150 sheets of paper when "back in the day" you paid 20 cents for 300 sheets, or even a whole ream depending on where you bought it. I'm picky about my pens. Even so, the ones I use are Pentel RSVPs - you can get those at Wal-Mart for 97 cents for two.

"I finished writing my manuscript" Congratulations! That always feels so good.

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:55 PM

Congratulations Leanna and Nicki! That's awesome news on both fronts.

On the whole paper/digital front, I'm computer all the way, I have to admit. However, that's due to my handwriting basically qualifying me for a medical degree....
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:10 PM

Mari, I love the Pentel RSVPs too! I actually need to go buy more. Thanks for reminding me.

Yes, Moleskine is very pricey, but they're the only small notebooks that I found survive in my purse. So I spring for one when I burn one out with note taking, but that isn't very often.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:58 PM

@Mari: "Good plan! " Thanks. I posted in one thread but haven't gotten a response. If I don't by Friday, I'm going to create my own thread. I just hope I don't sound to particular--I am trying to avoid use of an apple on the cover. While apples do play a role in my story, I don't want to resemble Twilight's cover.

And Nicki, congratulations! I remember J.K. Rowling  writing on her website she was trying to see who came out first: the kid or the (sixth?) book.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:36 AM

Hey Alex.
Can you give us a little more to go on, so that we can stick our heads together and come up with an intriguing, tasteful and, most of all appropriate, cover.
I'm thinking of a young lady gazing to a mirror, which shows a reflection of the face of who she imagines herself to be, but without knowing more...

Or a magical, fairytale forest, complete with mysterious path, but instead of leading to a castle, it leads to a very out of place looking semi detached townhouse (or whatever she actually lives in)
Give me some info, this could be fun!

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 3:13 AM

Here is the synopsis from the NaNoWriMo website:

After an embarrassing night out, Gwen White begins to have some odd dreams. These lead her friends to believe she is the reincarnation of Snow White.

At the same time, a management position opens up at the hotel where Gwen works. She competes for it with a fellow supervisor, a woman the employees call "the witch." The two have to impress the handsome son of the hotel's owner, who will help in making the final decision. As Gwen fights for the position, she finds her life starting to mirror the famous fairy tale.

Is she really Snow White or are the dreams starting to get to her? And will she get her own "happily ever after"?

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2012 6:41 AM

Hey Alex
I have no idea how feasible these are, or whether you know a Van Gogh or Salvador, so I'll just belch these out and you can amend them or discard them as required!

So we have Gwen either sitting by a mirror, her reflection being that of Snow White. If that's a bit Mills and Boon, then she could be walking past a mirrored hallway or building, with the reflection showing these.

She could be glancing at the mirror, with a man behind her in the backround (the foreground of the cover,) her reflection true, but his that of prince charming. (If the book is predominantly a romance, this could work.)

She could be behind the reception, with the older supervisor handing her something across it (evoking the apple handed through a window) The dashing son of the hotelier could be leaning against a wall to one side casually tossing an apple in the air. (There's that damn apple again.)

If you went with the apple, it could be a simple cover.... 2 bites from it though as this is a suspected 2nd time around.

Gwen's face could be predominant on the cover. facing the reader, the left side Gwen in modern make up, the right side, made up in style of the Snow white....

Even have Gwen's left side as a photographic image, the right animated, I think the Ipod has apps that will do this. (I'd still have the hotelier's son tossing an apple in the backround, but subtlety has never been my strong point.)

How about a busy New York street, with a castle/palace superimposed over a building, so it looks like there's nothing out of the ordinary, it's just there.

The 'half and half' thing again... left side fancy hotel, right side, castle.

Have Gwen walking, or going about her days work, and either the shadows cast or mirrored reflections of those around her being, any or all of, the seven dwarves, the witch, her prince etc. But her image stays the same.

Again back to the miror, Gwen could be in the hotel looking into it... her refection true, but the entire backround scene in the mirror forestry with, or without, little woodland creatures, instead of the hotel with, or without, guests.

That's about it for now, but I'll belch forth some more if they occur to me
 Best of luck
Mike

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2012 5:39 PM

Hey Alex,
One more just came to mind. It's a bit naughty perhaps, but it'd make me look twice at the book cover.

OK it's apple based again, but bare with me.

Gwen (face close up only) facing in towards the centre of the page, head tlted slightly to take a bite from a lushious red apple (maybe even, ever so slightly heart shaped.) Snow White facing towards the apple from the other side, also in the early stages of taking a bite. Now have the apple semi transparent, so that depending on how you look at the cover, it could be the two each about to bite the forbidden fruit, or the two about to passionately kiss.

Yea baby!

Mike

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 2:42 AM

Yes, it is predominantly a romance. Brendan (the hotelier's son) falls for her at first glance and pursues her through the novel. Gwen, though, is in denial. At least at first. So I do like this suggestion:

"She could be glancing at the mirror, with a man behind her in the backround (the foreground of the cover,) her reflection true, but his that of prince charming. (If the book is predominantly a romance, this could work.)"

As for your last one, while it would probably attract people's eyes, I wouldn't want to mislead people into thinking it was a female/female love story.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 3:30 AM

Quite right!
Keep that for the sequel, should prince charming not prove as dreamy, after they move in together!!!
Best of luck with it,
Mike 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 11:00 AM

An acquaintance of mine, just self published his first novel. He is a pretty decent writer, so I'm not ashamed to help him whore his work. He's also a member of BC, but hasn't been particularly active due to how hectic his life has become. And the unforeseen difficulties his internet is having.

Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16172345-it-began-with-ashes

MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 5:14 PM
I like the title of that, LeeAnna.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:00 PM

I know, right?

Anyway, I plugged in edits for chapters 30 and 31 today. I debated putting up the "rough drafts" so those doing reviewing now like Mr. Mike Hagan can finish up the book, but for that to happen I would need a lot of supportive prodding. 
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:12 PM

@Michael: "Keep that for the sequel, should prince charming not prove as dreamy, after they move in together!!! "

I will.

(Actually, the book is the first in a planned series. Gwen has four friends who may also be reincarnated princesses themselves)

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 8:28 PM

Hi Alex, Joking aside, I like the idea of the sequels (your ones, not my jest,) the five combined somehow being greater than the sum of each.......... I've worded that wrongly, I'm sure, but hopefully you know what I mean.

LeeAnna, as you'll know, I can only post once per draft, so my wee review on the remaining chapters of 'Hands of Ash' is being done in a notebook. (that is to say, I won't lose it all if you post a redraft!)
P.S. prod prod!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:46 PM

Thanks, Mike. I might wait, but we'll see what happens after this busy week. I'll shout it loud and clear when they're all up though.

Then I will proceed to review other people's stuff. I've got such a list.
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:52 PM

Hello All,
Finally getting back to Book Country.  Very interesting thread.  Just as far as writing - I write on the computer, then print out double spaced hardcopy and work on revision.  Then enter revisions into computer.  Uses a lot of paper, but I recycle so it doesn't kill quite as many trees. I also write in note book, but that is more a matter of continuity - by keeping a record of events, ideas, items as I create them, it prevents me from making dumb mistakes (e.g., MC having different hair or eye color in different chapters, etc.). 

Progress?  Mainly working on short stories.  Entered one in contest on Bookkus web site.  Another, just finished, just posted to Book Country - kind of nerdy as you need to know some earth history to really appreciate it.  Oh well, will be back to looking for books to review soon.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2012 10:33 PM

Thanks. I liked the idea of doing a series where the readers didn't have to start at Book 1 if they didn't want to. And if I wanted to, I could introduce more characters in their stories who may be reincarnated fairy tale characters. It's like the literary version of "Once Upon a Time"!
MariAdkins
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:39 PM
Sorry I've been absent. Fighting the flu. Will be back in the game soon!

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:38 PM

Wrap up well, have some chicken soup and don't believe the doctors..... antibiotics do help. They don't clear the virus but they stop you getting the chest infection that's the worst part of it!
While you're unwell, why don't you curl up with a good book. If you can't find a good book, you can always read mine instead, The Desolate.
(Sorry, due to the illness, I thought you might be particularly open to influence and not just influenza.)
Get well soon,
Mike

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:01 PM

Tis the season, Mari. Feel better!
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:48 PM

Mari, Best wishes for a speedy recovery.  Just out of curiosity, if I remember correctly, you list yourself a wickan or pagan.  Any special way you celebrate the season?  Just curious, might come in handy in a story someday. 
MariAdkins
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 1:08 AM
Thanks gang! I'm having the typical one-week in rebound. I can't even breathe through my nose; it's pitiful.

Michael - you crack me up! I laughed - or tried to.

Tom - Pagan. e-mail me (mari @ mariadkins.com)

Alexandria - i wouldn't have to go through this if i could take a flu shot! lol oy

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 3:52 AM

I don't get the flu shot. Haven't since I was 12 (I'm 26 now). I also haven't gotten the flu since I was 12.

Turns out my father and I are in a small part of the population that get the flu from the flu shot.

Umm, sticking on topic, I'm still editing Chapter 3 of "The Wedding Game" and working on "Fairest of Them All."
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:13 AM

Sticking on the topic.... It occurs to me that I haven't used this thread for what it was intended as yet. So here goes!

Inspired by Tom's idea of trying to promote my 'great masterpiece' by getting some short stories out there, and by everyone else passion for Sci-Fi, I'm writing........................................... a short Sci-Fi story.
The subject matter is very different from my longer, beautiful creation, but the structure is similar, in that very selective info is departed through the various MCs POVs, so that you are lead to think you know what is going on, then it's turned on it's head. On a re-read it should seem a different story to the first look.
I'm keeping it to about 3000 words so that folks are likely to finish it in one go. The idea is, they put it down and go "What! Ah, I see." and then read it again.
I'll have it finish in a few days, so will post up and see if 'I've pulled it off.'
I can promise you it'll have more twists than the tail of a piglet, who sports a set of extreme curling tongs!
G'luck all,
Mike

MariAdkins
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:15 PM
I'm allergic to the flu shot.

I managed to finish NaNo with 33k more words than what I started with. So this is good. And I'm jumping back into that for hire editing job I have.

It's busy!

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 2:41 AM

And now I got a cold.

But I'm still writing, just not the same output as during November prior to getting my wisdom teeth extracted. Once I shake this cold, I'm going to start editing "Fairest of Them All" to upload here.
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 6:10 PM

That's my short (very short) Sci-Fi story posted, 'A final day in Central Park.'
 As promised, though it's really short, it has more twists than Rapunzal's braids.  I'd really appreciate any feedback on this short piece.... Oh, did I mention it was a short, quick read?

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:11 PM

Hello Michael,

Gave your story a quick read yesterday, but I never review until I've read through the second time. Will do so either tonight or tomorrow. Also posted a very short story of mine called Staircase (only about 2000 words). It was entered in a short story contest. Close, but I lost.  Came in 2nd I think      Some people from BC have read it, but I’d like to know what you think.  Cheers!

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 5:05 AM

Where do you find these contests? I always come across them a year after they've closed.
Be delighted to take a peek at staircase! Will do so tonight.
P.S. Is coming second really losing?
I once, at 8 years of age, came in second in a sunflower growing competitition. To date, at 42, this has been my crowning achievement in lif............... Oh god, what have I done.
{

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:02 AM

Hello Michael,
If you go to the Bookkus web page they have a list of upcoming competitions. As of now they postponed the last because of lack of submissions. The problem I think is that it was the same requirements as the one I took part in (humor, danger, water) but the story had to be novella length. Scatched my head for a while about that one, but couldn't come up with an idea that I liked. In the future they are listing a mystery story contest and a scifi story contest.
2nd place? Just kidding about losing. Got a good review from one person, made my day.
BTW a story that I have posted here on BC, A Streak of Silver in the Sky, has a somewhat similar thought to your story. Very different approach though. If you have a chance let me know if you get it. These stories, after all, are a bit like jokes – if you have to explain the punchline….

Nicki Hill
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 8:32 AM

Michael, you can also find writing contests by Googling the genre and/or length of the sort of stuff you like to write.  I found one website that lists all of the romance contests (sponsored by various Romance Writers of America chapters) for a calendar year, for example.  You can also flip through recent issues of Writer's Digest magazine or go onto their website - they post contests like ads (or at least they used to - haven't actually looked into it in some time, so I'm assuming that they still post contests), so it's all different types, styles, lengths, sponsors.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:45 PM

The flu and contests, oh my! The stuff you miss when the holidays start to roll around.

By the way, thanks for the info on the contests. It's nice to know how and where I can find that stuff when I finally get my novel in querying mode. Bleh, I hate editing. It's so tedious, but must be done. Like I said before, I hope to have the last six chapters up here this month before I go through the whole thing.

Mike and Tom, I might give your short stories a try but I have other things to review first. It may take me some time. I'd like to look. Always did love a good short story.

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:44 PM

I've been lost in the story lately. The book is writing itself and I'm afraid to come out. Reality avoidance is my reward for writing.

So ;p see y'all after the Holidays.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:52 PM

I am not going to report that I have written chapter ten or edited chapter eleven. I see no point to it. I will announce a new approach, if and when that comes to pass. (Actually, I have a new idea, but I doubt that many will like it any better. Except for good old JoeTeeVee, who has given it his whacko seal of approval. He's as much of a nut as I am.)

I am researching, I am thinking, and I am writing pieces (nonfiction, for another site) that may help me find my way.

Sly will return, tinkered with to my satisfaction, if not yours. I am enjoying the process, though not making solid headway. Possible strategies will eventually find their way onto the page for a try-out. Sly will reappear here and elsewhere in a new iteration. Look for it, or not, whatever floats your boat.

Nicki Hill
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 8:22 PM

Progress is nil at this point.  The first trimester is totally kicking my butt.  At least I haven't been sick to my stomach, but between random body aches, random queasiness, and exhaustion that likes to tackle me like I'm carrying a football made out of solid gold, I consider just making it to the gym and all of my tutoring appointments a daily win.  Maybe after the holidays and these first 12-14 weeks have passed, I'll be more productive on the writing front.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2012 2:38 AM

I hope so. Good luck with the morning sickness, Nicki!

In my own news, I'm going to entire a contest sponsored by the Connecticut chapter of the Romance Writers of America. I'm editing chapter three of "The Wedding Game" right now and hope to have it posted soon. I would like some feedback on what I have written before the contest deadline (which is Jan. 21, but I'd like to submit earlier). Please and thank you!

DavidABossie
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 2:32 PM

Thank you Mr. Deckard for beginning this discussion.  I am new to the site and have had my novel, Dysfigured, reviewed twice.  The reviewers have pointed out many great suggestions so I am now on my second copy-edit.  This time, instead of trying to edit the whole book, I think I will try doing a thorough edit chapter by chapter.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, December 17, 2012 4:03 PM

Hey, everyone! Chapters 30 and 31 are up now. Still working on the rest.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, December 19, 2012 2:43 AM

Chapter 3 of "The Wedding Game" is now up. Once again, I'd appreciate opinions as I do want to submit it to a contest next month.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:34 PM

All chapters of Hands of Ash are now available for critique on Book Country. Looking forward to everyones thoughts.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:43 PM

LeeAnna

I am reading Ash. I am also reading many other things. I hope to finish the reviews I've started on over the holidays. I have not abandoned you, by any means.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:54 PM

Thanks! Glad to know people aren't jumping ship on it.
MariAdkins
Posted: Saturday, December 22, 2012 2:12 PM
70 pages left on this editing for hire project! whoohoo!

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 2:08 PM

Hey, gang! Oh, how I've missed you all! After my really long hiatus from regular writing, I'm done with the holidays and all of the (too-many) projects I embark on for them. Now I can get back to writing. So, Chapter 5 of Aequitas is up for review. I hope I'm beginning to improve with your suggestions, and I'm working on wrapping up chapter 6. I can't believe how much I've put in these chapters and I'm not even in double digits yet. Oh geez. Someone PLEASE tell me if I'm info-dumping in my chapters. *cringes with new paranoia*
Glad to be back! And a belated Congrats to Nicki!!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 3:24 PM

Finally finished rewriting chapter 3 of Scales. Now I just have to write the chapter after, make it all line up with everything else and then turn it into a coherent whole. Sigh. I'll get there eventually.

In other news, I'm working on my new year's resolution to do something on this site everyday (beyond checking to see if I've got any reviews of course). Three days in, I've already missed a day.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, January 3, 2013 12:04 PM

Hey, Timothy. You could always spend time on my new chapters. You've already read the first half of the book. Wink-wink.

Anyway, I've been working on edits for my manuscript and outlining the sequel. I have some short stories I should be working on that have been sitting around, but I don't want to. I'll get to them eventually.
GD Deckard
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 10:29 PM

The Writing Watch

Imagine my surprise New Year's day, remembering the resolution I had made the night before: "I will spend 4 hours writing every day until the book is finished." Am I the only one who made a similar resolution?

What I needed was a fun way to know when 4 hours were up. A vintage watch came to mind, so I visited my local antique mall and serendipity, a new vendor was setting up, "Jerry's Watches." The guy had hundreds, ranging from real Rolex watches to fake ones. (Big difference in price I chose an  old Elgin Chronometer with one of the first solar powered capacitors instead of a battery. It's in excellent  condition & after a bit of sunlight, it runs more accurately then my everyday watch. For some reason I honestly don't understand, writing 4 hours a day is easy fun when I'm wearing my "Writing Watch."

Makes me want to try holding a feather in my nose & fly.

Jump to different Forum...