RSS Feed Print
Progress Report
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 12:08 AM

Angela, glad I could give you something to laugh at. I like making a person's day. I find that writing the reviews are a lot more fun than I expect.

GD, I'll try to give it a look.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:00 AM

Busy working on "Fairest of Them All." Realized I'll have to move some passages around because (duh) the dreams regarding the queen's attempts to get rid of Snow White should be come before Melissa's related attempts to embarrass Gwen.

And I want to upload the first chapter of it soon but I realized I don't know exactly where in the romance spectrum it lies.

GD Deckard
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2013 3:56 PM
Thanks  LeeAnna. Hmm, I'm gonna owe you & Tim both a review.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 2:10 PM

New writing developments: I have discovered that there are two more scenes that need rewritten, which brings the count up to six from four. So, that's three more I have to do before I can insert them into the book. Bleh.

The editing is going too slow for my liking. Trying to pick up the pace, but these early chapters need a lot of work as those who have read them will tell you. Clearing up motivations and fixing weak descriptions takes a lot out of a girl. I just want to curl up with Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon, but I feel so guilty if I shirk my writing duties. I swear, Catholic guilt is genetic.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 4:08 PM

LeeAnna,

I want to reread from the beginning, after you feel it is ready.

I do not want to start from where I left off. I want to see the latest and greatest. Let me know when the reconsidered Ash is up. I'll be looking for the announcement here, in Progress Report.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2013 7:29 PM

Okay, Mimi. I'll be really obnoxious about it when it happens.
Ben Nemec
Posted: Wednesday, February 6, 2013 1:23 PM

Okay, I'll try to keep this reasonably short, but no guarantees...

I started working on High Altitude Magic (a title I made up to post here, the project is just called Something on my PC a few weeks ago.  The project ultimately traces its roots back to my freshman year of high school.  I had just discovered R.A. Salvatore and met a girl at band camp (yes, really), so I decided to combine the two and write a fantasy story starring myself and the girl.

Wait, wait, don't go!  That's not what it is anymore.   I did work on it off and on through high school and even a little in college, but I consider that work abandoned at this point.  Maybe I could have salvaged it, but it was 37000 words that pretty much all needed to be rewritten.  As you might expect given the origin of the story.

However, about a year ago I bought a Nook and that broadened my reading horizons considerably.  On multiple occasions since then I've read published works and thought, "I could do better than that."  For maybe six months I've been thinking about revisiting my high school project to put my money where my mouth is, and in early January a shoulder surgery provided the perfect opportunity.  I was (and am) very limited in what I can do, but tapping away at a laptop keyboard is on the short list of allowed activities, so I started rewriting that story, keeping only the very basics of the plot.  There's still a boy meets girl element, but I tried to make them real characters instead of just idealized versions my life.

In any case, 15000 words later I'm pretty happy with the way it has gone so far, and I've been having a lot of fun.  Right up until the last couple of days anyway.  That's when I finally got to introduce a character I've been looking forward to, and...it hasn't gone well.  I had this great picture of the character in my head and was imagining all these conversations with her, but when it came time to actually write the first one it just didn't work for some reason.

I have theories on why - this conversation involves some important worldbuilding that has been more difficult than I anticipated, and I'm realizing that snippets of conversation do not a character make.  My solution so far has been to make the conversation less concrete while making the character more so.  A bit of mystery fits her better anyway, so I think this rewrite might be okay, but I haven't had the guts to go back and read it again to see if it even makes sense.

Anyway, that's my progress report.  I'm hoping writing all of this down will help get me over the current speed bump and making real progress again.

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 8:36 PM

Ack! Just as I was about to finish up my revisions of A Kaliphian Matter: Revelations I decide to make a major change that will require MORE revisions of book 1, then many, many revisions to books 2 and 3.

I wonder if I can take a leave of absence from work for the next month or two?
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 10:42 PM

Ouch, Angela, though I'm sure the revisions will only make it better.

Meanwhile, I'm watching Youtube videos of people dancing the Virginia Reel because I want to incorporate it into "The Conference House." Because I decided to edit the first chapter before completing the whole first draft because I'm insane.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:41 PM

I'll admit, I've gotten sucked into a few other good books instead of working on my own. But then again, many folks here say that's just as good as writing. Still, I feel my characters scowling at me for leaving them frozen in stasis. 
As a side note (and I apologize in advance but I have no idea where to field this query properly), I've been trying to do some research online on my subject matter, but keep running up against virtual walls. Should I just get my butt to a physical library and look up Grim Reaper, or does anyone have a really great search engine/tool for doing online research? Online sure would be preferable, given my constant time crunch.
MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:56 PM
I've been reading and also doing two edit for hire projects. I'm up to my eyeballs. Also doing a bit of journaling and scrapbooking (the old fashioned kind, not the new themed kind). Also still in process of getting our apartment streamlined to the barest bone and organized to within an inch of its life; that's a full time job all by itself! And tomorrow is the six month anniversary of my surgery - already!! - we're going to have a small party.

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 9:04 PM

Ben - take lots of notes regarding characters.  Get a notebook and allow a few pages per character.  Another method is notecards - that's explained in "The Writer's little helper" by James V. Smith, jr.  That book was recommended to me by a writing teacher. It's inexpensive and a good source of info.  If you concentrate on notes - not just dialogue - the character will jell for you more quickly.

Laura - lovely picture.  Just noticed the lighthouse was gone.  I assume it's you and your biggest fan?

Progress?  Revised "Staircase" for more show, less tell and submitted it - we'll see.  Same with "And the Last Shall be First".  Hoping "Agony of the Gods" makes an appearance on Bookkus soon.  Revising "A Streak of Silver in the Sky", although kinda difficult.  All my other stories initially plot and character driven, while "Streak" was an idea story - try to build a story around the ending, arrgh!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:29 PM

Doc T - Yup, you guessed right. I decided a picture was better than a painting. 
As for progress of the real sort, I've caved and am revamping (horrible pun) my early chapters because I've had a plot epiphany and I cannot continue until I add these elements to my story from the start. I'm excited and energized. If only I could find time to write. It makes me anxious not to.
Please, everyone, help a girl out with her researching (please see my earlier post here)! Thanks!
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 11:49 PM

(Shifts dirt around with toe.) I've been productive, but not really with my writing. I've been reading a lot, trying to finish the third Mortal Instruments book before it goes back to the library in five days. I would feel ashamed if I checked it out again. It's not really worth hanging onto that long.

(Covers face.) And my husband brought home Guild Wars 2.

(Throws hands in the air.) I know. I know. Such poor writing behavior. But it's so much fun!

Anyway, I'm working in a critique group through Google+. It's been a lot of fun. The other two people are really nice. Who has a G+ account?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 12:45 AM

LeeAnna,

I'm so out of it with these things. I can barely handle my email. What's a G+ account?

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:15 AM

It's basically Google's much cleaner and much more professional looking answer to Facebook. There are a lot of authors abandoning the Facebook ship in favor of Google's social networking platform. It's not money driven, and stupid is kept to a minimum. Plus they have a neat group video chat feature called "Hangouts" and writer's communities under the "Communities" tab. That's how I became a part of the critique group.

If anyone has a gmail, then you already have a Google account. 
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 1:15 AM

I have a G+ account though for now it's been relatively useless. Everything I do there I generally do on Facebook. But how did you find this critique group? I'm getting really serious about writing and finishing "The Conference House."
Ben Nemec
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 1:52 PM

Thanks Tom, I do actually keep notes on my characters, I just didn't have any for this particular one yet.   I'll look into getting a copy of that book though.

My current progress report is "no progress due to the flu."  Hard to write when you can't hold your head up.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 4:45 PM

I'm sorry to say I haven't been working on my WIP. But I did write a new review of the last MI book for those who were reading them.

http://militaryhousewriter.blogspot.com/2013/02/book-review-city-of-glass-mortal.html

Have a laugh.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:35 PM

" The sad thing, there is an editor listed on her Acknowledgements page."

Clare worked with an editor? Really? Wow.

Good work on the review, Lee Anna!

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:54 PM

Thanks, Alexandria. I like writing thorough reviews of iffy works to show people that a lot more work should have been done before this saw publishing.

Yeah, she worked with an editor and two other published writers: Holly Black and Libba Bray. You would never think it. People on here don't let me skate with anything. It's sad that I could figure out how to condense the works while keeping a bulk of the story. I also know how she could have fixed her character development. Clare's work is salvageable. I doubt she'll ever be able to write like magic, but she could be passable.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 11:41 PM

Funny, I thought the same thing about her fanfiction. I felt if she didn't focus on finding the perfect Buffy quote and worked on description or characterization, Draco Dormiens would've been a decent fanfic.

To stay on topic, still working on "The Conference House." Oscars right now are taking up my time.

GD Deckard
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 5:01 PM
Woot! I love this place!

I analyzed 13 reviews of The Phoenix Diary and, just to see what effect letting all those minds help me write my story would have, I addressed each and every criticism in a rewrite of the first three chapters. Amazing how much better the story now reads.

My hat's off to the reviewers who take time from their own work to help others here.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 11:31 AM

That's great, GD! And bravo to LeeAnna for stomaching what appear to be three wretched novels. Wow. I'd love to see you pick apart- I mean, review, a few more iffy books. But i won't suggest 50 Shades of Puke. Don't worry.
As for my own progress, I've been reading and reviewing other stuff, but am getting back to Aequitas, and just loaded a revised Ch 1 which I hope will more easily transition us into the story. 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 12:18 PM

Laura, that picking apart thing I do after just about everything. It drives my family crazy, but I have problems turning it off. If a book can get me to just sit back and read, then it automatically gets four or five stars because I was sucked in. But I also like to see works that know what they are. If it's just a goofy, fun ride, and it acts like one, then I have no problems. But then you have books/movies/shows that try to be more than they are (Mortal Instruments), and then I have a problem. Basically, cohesiveness versus failed cohesiveness.

Anyway, getting back to my editing today.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:54 PM

I've started analysing books for what works and what doesn't work on my blog. It helps, I believe, and makes me question some of my own decisions.

Well, back to writing...

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, March 7, 2013 12:20 PM

Okay, gang - Progress report. I've gone through my fantasy work chapters and added some things, moved some things around, and even changed one of my MC's names - I know, big. (Doc Tom, you'll be pleasantly surprised, I think with that one.)
I know I've most likely got some serious editing ahead of me (Dwight Swain has got me thinking in sections now, dang it), but for now I'm focusing on just writing as coherently as possible, and these edits are simply things I thought needed fixing for the sake of creativity.
So please feel free to skim through them and let me know what you think. I'm going to try to load them right now.
Ben Nemec
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 10:51 PM

Bit of a milestone tonight - the rewrite of a story I started in high school is up to about the same word count as the (truly awful) original.  Progress has slowed a bit lately though.  I've had a something of a crisis of confidence in the past few weeks, for a number of reasons.  One of the big ones is that I re-read what I had posted here and it was...not good.  I mean, I knew it wasn't polished, final draft quality, but it was a lot rougher than I remembered.  I did a lot of work on it and I think it's better now, but I thought that before too.

It's not like I am surprised that writing a book is hard (that's why I hadn't tried it before now), but having the point rammed home is still a little hard to swallow.  Feeling better about it tonight though.  The scene I worked on started to flow again like some of the earlier parts that were fun to write, which I'm hoping will continue.  That's a topic for a future progress report though.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 4:13 PM

Okay, gang, I've posted revised chapters. Thanks to NoellePierce who pointed out some major mistakes in my changes and uploads. Should be fine now. 
Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 7:31 PM

OK, got a question.
Dwight Swain, would tell us that the first scene must have the introduced MC in a scene of perceived danger straight off. Also he says the characters must have extreme personalities to be memorable.
I want my characters to be credible, everyday people, who rise to developing circumstances: Not heros and heroines, not characatures or steriotypes, just real people with real reactions. I also want my extra-ordinary circumstances to evolve from an opening setting which is real and familiar, so that when the fantastic happens, it's credible.
Am I on a lost cause, or is it possible there is room for this type of book, alongside Dwight's formula?
I've received one or two comments pointing out that I'm not conducive to Dwight's formula as if this is the sun, the moon, and the stars.
What do you reckon, am I deluding myself?
Mike

MariAdkins
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:16 PM
Progress Report:

Turned in another editing for hire project, half-way through another, got another to start. As for my own work - I managed to lose at least three handwritten pages. I've gone through every drawer, cabinet, paper receptacle, you name it, in this apartment and can't find them. :sigh:

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:32 PM

Hey INCspot  
Tank de Lard

Mind you, I'm not claiming to have pulled it off, just given it my best go.

Message to anyone just joining. This message is not as suspect as it reads. I refer you to 3 back

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 9:24 PM

Michael,

I am more on your wavelength than on Swain's. I'm trying to figure this out myself.

I'm currently going through Jay's reviews and copying out everything that might apply to my own work. I am going to study it, with my own manuscript printed out, and mark it up, chapter by chapter. The formulaic advice, this must happen in the first three pages and so on, I do not believe in such a rigid approach, except maybe for a work that you hope will be a popular smash.

I apologize for not having reviewed you yet. I will try to do it soon. I am reviewing here and on another site, and the other site has deadlines, so I push on that front first. I work a full time job and try to deal with my own WIP and don't get done nearly what I'd like to.

Since we seem to have a similiar point of veiw about style I will be reading your work extra carefully, for lessons I can learn from you, and for ways in which I can help you out.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2013 10:40 PM

"As for my own work - I managed to lose at least three handwritten pages. I've gone through every drawer, cabinet, paper receptacle, you name it, in this apartment and can't find them. :sigh:"

Ouch, Mari. That once happened to me--only with homework. Fortunately I lost it right at the end of senior year so the teacher just chalked it up to senioritis (because I couldn't tell him it just disappeared in my bedroom) and didn't issue me a demerit. I later found it hidden behind something far away from where I had last seen it when I was packing a few months later to move into my college dorm.

As for my own work: Things are progressing on "The Conference House" as well as "The Wedding Game" revision.

(PS: Michael, while that's a good question and I for one disagree with Mr. Swain as both a reader and a writer, I think it might be better off in its own thread where more people might be able to see it).

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:04 AM

Thanks for that. I was just strating to hear about Swain so often (albeit mostly from one source), I was wondering if this was a universal rule or just one mere mortal's opinion.
Hey Mimi.... sounds like you're putting alot of pressure on yourself. A review is of course welcome........ but when you have time, if you have time... I'm in the same boat.

Re: Hoping to learn something from MY work....... Good luck with that!
Mike

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 6:31 AM

Oh yea, Alex.
Took your advice and posted a similar question, under Craft of Writing; Plot and Structure.
I always like to piggy back on the greatness of DG's threads though rather than post a new discussion. It's kinda like the difference between getting your question of a 150ft LCD screen in Times square, and sticking a poster up in your back garden.
Shameless, I know.
Mike

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:53 PM

Wow. Discussing Swain I see. I've seen a lot of discussions about his MRUs going around lately here and on other sites. And yes, I learned about Swain through Jay, as everyone here who has had the pleasure of one of his reviews has.

Anyway, for progress, well, it has ground to a halt. Three days ago I had a cold swoop in and mug me in the middle of the day. It ran off leaving me achy and tired with nary a fever or hacking cough. Because I continued to go to work, I'm still in recovery. I feel exhausted. I want a nap, but faux granite counters do not make good pillows.

When I'm better, then I hope to finish the edits on chapters 1-7. People are waiting for them. I feel kind of bad making them wait.

That said, back to supporting the gambling habits of little old ladies.
Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2013 11:45 PM

Still editing. Beats the heck out of me how I can edit my own writing in the evenings after editing all day at work. . .
GD Deckard
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 8:29 AM

My take on Michael R. Hagan's discussion is, all teachers teach history. None predict the future.

Check Norman Mailer's book, "The Spooky Art: Thoughts on Writing" for useful insights.

My favorite Mailer insight addresses a weakness of mine. On PoV, he once wrote of another writer he didn't particularly like, "He said she was beautiful because he couldn't make her so."

Hey Angela ever see the old TV show, The Honeymooners,  where bus driver Ralph Cramden takes wife Alice on bus rides for entertainment on his days off? There must be brilliance in bad jokes.

Oh, and Mimi, aren't you supposed to be posting something about editing chapter 39? Huh? ;p

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:04 AM

Yeah, GD. I just edited chapter thirty-nine. In my dreams.

In reality I'm still on chapter one. A sad state of affairs, I know it. I beat myself up over it daily.

GD Deckard
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 11:10 AM
LOL Mimi. Don't be a slave to numbers renumber that chapter, "39," and then just add what comes before & after.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:49 PM

PROGRESS REPORT, you behemoth of a discussion, you! (I admit, I have no progress to report but wanted to chime in anyways.) 
MariAdkins
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:55 PM
Ouch, Mari. That once happened to me--only with homework.

Weird where and how things turn up, isn't it? I found my pages a couple of days ago. They were sitting very happy and peaceful - in my "to edit" folder. I thought I'd looked there already, and I never put handwritten sheets in there. :eye roll:

Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:21 PM

Still plugging away at my edits/revisions of book 1 of the trilogy (which means MORE work with respect to books 2 & 3). So far, I've managed to shave some 4,000 words. Working on a transitional chapter now. So, of course, I'm managing to find a whole bunch of other things to do. . . (Some unintentional of course - like dealing with plumbers and 100-year-old sewer pipes. . .)
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 8:11 PM

I've finally finished the latest round of edits for Scales (sob). Now I've just got to make a legal cover for it and see if I can't rustle up/ blackmail some beta readers for it. Still I've just found out that I've pretty much accidentally gotten a April 2014 deadline for it, so it's probably a good thing I'm abruptly motivated.
MariAdkins
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 11:10 PM
I'm writing again!! :squee!:

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 9:50 PM

Just wrapped up the transitional chapter I had been mulling over the last few days. Man, do I have a lot of work to do throughout the second half of the first book (and then the second and third books) because of the changes I've made. 
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 6:23 PM

Okay, I've been a bad girl. I haven't done anything I'm supposed to. All I've done is read and write this review about Roth's Divergent.

http://militaryhousewriter.blogspot.com/2013/03/book-review-divergent.html

I also learned how to use gifs and memes. That's probably not a good thing.
Voran
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 1:19 PM

Just stumbled onto this discussion recently.  Progress report!  I've been working on the one novel for about six years now, and I have to say that a lot of your guys' input has been very helpful in trimming the fat.  Right now I'm trying to fix one major plot issue in Raven Son, and when I get tired of constant High Fantasy, I tinker with my new project, Seminarikon, a series of stories set in a Russian monastery, where weird things suddenly start happening.

Good luck to everyone with their work!
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 9:45 PM

After a week or two of saying I was hoping to finish Ch 7, I finally did it! Now I'm off and running on Ch 8. Feeling good about just writing, and letting the characters take me along for the ride.

Jump to different Forum...