RSS Feed Print
Steampunk: Is 'adventure' necessary?
J Boone Dryden
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:28 PM

So I have been working on a major overhaul of a piece (the currently untitled "Charles" novel in my portfolio), and I am having a very healthy debate with myself about whether there needs to be some sort of "action" in the story. I ponder this because the vast majority of the longer works that I have read in the genre are very action driven. Would a steampunk piece work written as a more literary-minded work with a less aggressive questioning of science? I.E., would the piece work with a slower-moving plot that is more introverted with its characters? Just curious. I appreciate your thoughts.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 3:19 PM

J Boone -

What I think you're asking is if you can write a steampunk with a more literary bent. And the answer is, sure! As long as what you write actually has a discernible plot and works to drive the narrative forward. But do bear in mind that a lot of the hallmarks of what most people consider to be steampunk is the blend of magic and steam and/or clockwork-based science, so you can't entirely ignore that.
Zachary Cothren
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 3:33 PM

Of course, though it is not very common in the genre I would consider it a healthy and entertaining shift to see a steampunk novel that does not contain an enormous adventure.

The steampunk genre has no inherent need for action, so I see no problem with your idea of an introverted plot.

Jump to different Forum...