RSS Feed Print
Men in Suits
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 11:46 AM

I have to say that I am getting tired of reading about alpha males in the corporate world in romance novels. I am seeing so many romance heroes who run "Alpha Enterprises" or "Alpha Industries." I get it--a well-dressed man has style and security, and it's like a modern version of the fairy tale prince. But what about some other professions? Chef (with tattoos?)? Astronauts? Start up founder in a hoodie? Inventor? Farmer? Winemaker? I could definitely get into a series that takes place at a winery . . . (Only halfway kidding . . .)

Who has an idea for the next big trope for romance heroes?

Perry
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:00 AM

I don't know about professions, but the hero should be able to walk three miles through a forest and come out on the other side, rebuild the carburetor for a Ford 8N tractor, harness a team of horses, soft boil an egg, know how to lose at Dominoes to a six year old, and pick a bug off your shoulder without staining your shirt. The hero is competent, confident, and compassionate.
Posted: Thursday, June 11, 2015 5:07 PM

At Perry: Yes, exactly!

Though I won't touch a boiled egg unless it's been boiled for 15 minutes. But I definitely appreciate it when someone knows how to cook properly.

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:14 PM

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director wrote:

I have to say that I am getting tired of reading about alpha males in the corporate world in romance novels. I am seeing so many romance heroes who run "Alpha Enterprises" or "Alpha Industries." I get it--a well-dressed man has style and security, and it's like a modern version of the fairy tale prince. But what about some other professions? Chef (with tattoos?)? Astronauts? Start up founder in a hoodie? Inventor? Farmer? Winemaker? I could definitely get into a series that takes place at a winery . . . (Only halfway kidding . . .)

Who has an idea for the next big trope for romance heroes?

Oooo---gurl, I got your Chef over here! Also? Bikers. (It's not a profession I guess but still--Bikers! Yay!) I'm all about Chefs being the next big thing. Have you seen a guy in a chef coat? *fans self* (*whisper* They can also /cook/ for you....shocked )

(edited because I got ahead of myself and had to fix a typo.)

--edited by DianaRoseWilson on 7/23/2015, 3:16 PM--

Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:20 PM

HAHAHAHAH Diana!

Yes, I *have* seen a guy in a chef coat . . . I married one! cool

Best. Decision. Ever.

Emma Burnside
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2015 1:38 PM

The hero of my romance is a bookstore owner, because nothing is sexier than a man who reads and has access to thousands of books.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, August 3, 2015 8:59 PM

Emma, I do agree. That's one of the things that attracted me to my husband. When we married, we merged cats and libraries. We live in a tumbledown mess, books everywhere, and it is grand.

Jump to different Forum...