RSS Feed Print
Genre Blending: the Auto Reject?
LizCrowe
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2015 12:27 PM

Genre blending---I have over 20 books categorized as "romance" (but that many hard core romancers hate) published either with small/tiny publishers or on my own but am working hard on a new project: A sexy thriller---NOT a "romantic suspense," NOT a romance disguised as a thriller either. I have revised, re-written, polished, sullied, re-polished, thrown against the wall (my fist, that is) and have nothing but a pile of email agency rejections to show for 2 years of work on it. It's now gone so far away from what I intended it to be (Medical thriller set in future Detroit that has a shattered relationship between a man and a woman at its core but its NOT a romance and that just does not fit into any quick-and-easy genre) I want to pull out my original and forget all the various permutations I put it through to make into something it isn't. 

Is it really possible to find readers who might read both: romance? thriller? women's fiction? (it's 3rd person female protagonist POV) Because I read across genres (and frankly READ very little romance as I find it too formulaic) I made the mistaken assumption others would to but now that I'm on my 22nd rejection (as of today) I just don't know anymore.

Is there an author who successfully manages this?

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 11:05 AM

This sounds like something I would want to read--Liz, is it posted on Book Country?

Jump to different Forum...