RSS Feed Print
Getting Feedback
SMRoffey
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 7:58 AM

Hi, all.  I have been on Book Country for a few weeks, have only had time to review one work (3 kids and a sick brother are making life even more hectic than usual) and post one work.  Knowing that I have only had time to review one makes me completely understand that everyone is in the same boat, but I'm curious how long to wait for a review (it's been posted for I think two weeks with no review) before trying to solicit reviews elsewhere.  I am new to this, so I'm not sure the protocol or the etiquette involved! Should I be posting a link to it on a discussion page, or just wait? Or have I simply put too much of it out there and that's causing writers to think, "uh, no, I don't have time to read 9,000 words..."?  Any help here would be appreciated.  Also, in case you are interested in fantasy, my "short" story is here:

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=7402

and any review, even if it's for just the beginning or ending, would be appreciated as well!

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:27 AM

Hey, SMRoffey. This is Amber. You reviewed my WIP Scarlet Crimson a week or so back. Your feedback was helpful. And I just want to say, I'm so sorry for taking so long to reciprocate! I had others I promised reviews to, and you kind of got lost in the mix. Had we connected on the site and you'd messaged me about the WIP, I wouldn't have hesitated to look at it.

So now, I'm promising to make you first on my list for reviews. Hopefully I'll be able to finish the review within the week.

Again, so sorry! Reciprocation is so important on this site. When someone fails to do so, it's a smudge on their reputation (Especially when you promised to reciprocate). I'm going to send you a connections request so this doesn't happen in the future (If you review another of my works or you want another review).

Happy Writing!

SMRoffey
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 9:38 AM

Thank you, Amber! And no worries! I have been crazy this month, so I didn't take the time to really delve through the site the way I should have.  I actually loved the piece you wrote--in fact would love to see it as a book instead of a short story, because I thought your characters were GREAT, and I would like to read more about them.  I did see you posted another piece, and I'll be sure to read it soon.  I do want to read a few more pieces (actually, I think I did review another author's piece as well, but it's been so busy I forgot!) I'm hoping to have a bit of time this weekend to really explore Book Country and make some more connections
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 10:34 AM

Thanks for the compliment, SMRoffey. I've been thinking of writing a longer work with Crimson, based after that short story (In it, she learns who and what Scarlet is and they team up to save Drugara from an evil force) but I am focusing most of my effort in my novel Destiny's Bond, which also takes place in my fantasy world, Drugara. And please bear with me. My internet is dial-up, and I'm having a heck of a time getting your WIP to load (Damn you, slow internet!) Anyway, here's something I've learned when you want reviews.

1). Review other people's work (preferably those who you know contribute to the site)

2). Once finished with the review, ask at the end for a review in turn, nicely of course.

3). Connect with those nice writers. (Carl E. Reed, Voran, Lucy Silag, James Blackford, GD Deckard are all great people to connect with and ask for reviews from) But make sure to offer reciprocation, and to pull through for them.

4). Be patient. If you're anything like me, you've been sitting on the edge of your seat praying for reviews to fall into your lap. After some time on this site, you'll learn to be patient with the ones who've promised reviews to. They have jobs, and are working on their own work. If they promised to review your WIP, they'll do it, in the time allowed to them.

Happy Writing!

Amber

Jean Marie
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:29 AM

Jumping in here, I'm not a fantasy reader, a mystery gal I am, but I'd be happy to read/review.  I just finished doing a training thing, online that was due, today.  I've been putting it off until the last minute, and here we are.  I can do it in the next few days, if that's okay w/ you?

In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 11:56 AM
Ha! After two hours--count it, two hours--of wrestling with my internet, I got your manuscript to load! Yay me! Expect a review either today or in the next few.

Until then, Good luck in all your writing endeavors.

Michael R Hagan
Posted: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 5:07 PM

Would this be of interest?

Get a FREE PROFESSIONAL EDIT for YOUR Novel.

No purchase necessary!

Get your hands on a new or used, paperback or ebook copy of the award winning, 'DEMIURGE: Blood of the Innocent'; post an honest rating or review on Goodreads and Amazon..... That's it!

FREE developmental and line edits will be awarded to the lucky winners.

....................................................................................................

Conditions:
Entries must have fully completed their novel/draft, and be open to the finished work being submitted to Bookkus Publishing for consideration for publication. 
All drafts to be considered must be written in English.

(The prerogative/right for whether to ultimately publish with Bookkus Publishing, should an offer be received, or with any other interested party, publisher, or literary agent shall, of course, remain with the author.)
Please post a synopsis of your work on booknookdiva@gmail.com, along with an email contact address.

Thank you, and Good Luck!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:16 PM

Hi Michael, how's it going? I'm not on here much these days. I pop in once or twice a week. I'm not on anywhere much. I'm low energy, and what energy I have goes into building my website. My book is still nowhere near done. I'm going to post a novella - thirty thousand words - in installments on my site. (First I have to figure out how to add pages.) I have only a front page, and that is far from complete. It is a magazine format, I will have rotating features (continued on ...) linked to back pages. If you (or anyone) wants to peek at it:

mimispeike.wix.com/mysite

Jump to different Forum...