RSS Feed Print
Any ideas for juggling the holiday planning and Nano?
Maggie Whiet
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 9:58 AM

Dear Creators of Nano,

Who among you chose November?!?!?!? And where do you live, because I have a rusty fork with your name on it. Of ALL the months you had to choose from, you decided November...not January, not February...no, November. Grrrrrrr....    

All jesting aside, I really am wondering how to do the Thanksgiving, life, Nano juggle. Any input from my fellow Nano'ers?

Maggie

imawake
Posted: Sunday, November 17, 2013 10:15 AM

All the people I know are having everyone bring a dish to pass, and assigning people to bring the tableware too. This way no one person is spending hours making a million things to eat, and then getting stuck with the clean-up. I realize you have your kids to worry about, but the rest of your family can still bring a lot of the food, can't they? And then they can help with the clean-up. When I was living in town with my family I did all the cooking, and it took me three days and it cost me at least $500. It was too much so I moved to a foreign country and they had to figure it out to do holidays the next year on their own.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:22 PM

@Maggie--this is exactly why I am marrying a chef! I write, he cooks.

In all seriousness, though, I've been thinking a lot about this. I don't know HOW I would get any writing done if my fiance and I were both on the same schedule. Right now he works most weekends and I usually do all of my writing when he's at his restaurant.When he's off, like he was this past weekend, I get no writing done, though maybe I would if I were more used to him being at home.

Very curious to see if this will spark a discussion about how we make time to write within the context of a busy family life, whether you have kids or not.

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, November 18, 2013 2:24 PM

PS: Also, I hear ya on the November thing!

On Friday, another writer told me that she and her writing circle do a NaNo in August, since that's the time when they have the most free time. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

Jump to different Forum...