RSS Feed Print
Does anyone write about food? Food is fun, any fiction, story or fact?
Gayle Selisch
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:55 PM

Hello to all, I am very new to Book Country.  I have written a cookbook. So far it looks like I am the only one.  But the book is fun, writing and reading about food is entertaining.  I am a cook not a writer and I am wondering if any of you writers write about food? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks!
Gayle

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2013 3:36 PM

Hi. At the moment BC's aimed at genre writers, which is why there isn't a lot of non-fiction on here at the moment.

I say at the moment, as there's plans in motion to expand site to cover non-fiction and other areas. I've no idea when that'll happen (the last major update was in January, so I'd give a bit), but you're best of asking either Colleen or Neneva, our two community liaisons. 

As for food in fiction, it can be great way to add a little realism to a piece of fiction. There's a rule somewhere that fictionally characters never eat, sleep or go to the toilet unless it's dramatically necessary, but it's often really obvious. Just try not to go down the George R R Martin route and spend several pages detailing the contents of their meals.
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 12:58 PM

Hi Gayle, 

Welcome to Book Country! The community site is geared toward writers of fiction, but you are most welcome to participate and join the conversation. Like Timothy said, we are expanding the Genre Map to include other categories later this summer, so there will be a few nonfiction genres added then.

In the meantime, have fun on the site!

I'm curious, what kind of cookbooks do you write?

Nevena from Book Country

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:07 PM

Welcome to Book Country!

I like to write about eating -- I think so much happens at the dinner table.

I'm new to the Cozy Mystery genre, but I recently read  Sweet Revenge by Andrea Penrose and liked how she incorporated recipes into each chapter. (The whole book centers around a chef, so it may be something you like.)

Good luck with your cookbook! I hope it's very successful.

Gayle Selisch
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 1:35 PM

Thank you!
Timothy, who wrote the no eating, sleeping, toileting rule, that's hilarious!

Nevena, This book is a collection of river recipes from the Middle Fork of the Salmon. Any rafters out there?? Lot's of Dutch Oven stuff, bits of history, humor.

Brandi, I will look that book up right now, because I think that would be great info.  "Like Water for Chocolate" is like that. It is a romantic (very sexy) fictional book.  If I could figure it out, my approach would be light humor. like I said, I'm a cook, not a writer,  but I got so many positive comments on the short blurbs I put in the cookbook, that I wonder if I should ponder writing more about food.
Brandi Larsen
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 8:40 PM

I liked the food writing in that novel.

Here's the question: does writing bring you joy? If so, you should keep doing it.
Be gentle with yourself, though. Like burgeoning chefs, it takes a lot of practice to get to a place where your work is delicious.

Jump to different Forum...