RSS Feed Print
Reading a series: The good, the bad, and the ugly.
Joani Davis
Posted: Friday, June 14, 2013 10:06 PM

Do you find yourself wondering if the authors of series books notice themselves repeating the same scenarios in each book. Sex scene locations all seemingly the same in description, snipers shooting 'again' from the exact same location as in the previous book (Wouldn't they seek to secure that location?)

I find myself wanting to ask them if their aware of those things. Do those things bother anyone else, or do you put it down to writers choice? If the story is really good does it matter?
Toni Smalley
Posted: Monday, June 17, 2013 7:18 AM
When a writer reenacts similar events or uses similar settings from book to book within a series, it usually signals to me there is significance behind the event, setting, characters, etc. I've never read a series where the same scene was simply refreshed and inserted into another book without any significance attached to it. Sometimes, I've noticed the author will repeat certain pieces of back story, which has no meaning but to refresh the reader's memory.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:44 AM

I do agree with Toni that sometimes, the author does intend for some significance. On one hand, there's a chance that Sara Donati in her "Into the Wilderness" series sets up her romances the same way to show how the past repeats and how daughters are attracted to men like their fathers. But on the other hand, it's a bit boring now. I guess it's all in how the readers view it.
Joani Davis
Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 10:30 AM

I don't know. I have two series that I love to read. They both have amazing story lines and sub plots, but in one the same sex scene happens in every book. There's a cave, water element like a pool, somehow it's mysteriously lit . . . the same thing ever time. It's now become a running joke with my friends. "Have you gotten to the cave sex yet?" In the other series, the main location for the group is in a valley flanked by high cliffs. Snipers have shot at these poor people in five different books from the same exact location. The sniper is located and killed. I'm just saying that after the second shooting wouldn't you seek to fortify that location. LOL Things like that drive me crazy. I know there is literary license but if you are an avid reader of that series, you'd think the author would think about those things.

Jump to different Forum...