RSS Feed Print
I Just Realized My Writing Is Not About Me!
Dea Simon
Posted: Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:24 PM

Wow, this is a long story. Basically, I love to write in very specific genres that are NOT romance, but a few weeks ago, I got this idea in my head that would not shut up, no matter how hard I was working on something else. So, I'm writing it. But it's romance, and I'm asexual and aromantic. Because I write in other genres I have taken on a pseudonym, which I find frees me up to be more relaxed about writing it than I would be if I was actually sticking my name on the thing. So it's going pretty well so far. But.

I absolutely hate romance novels, because I find all the leading men are exactly alike, and I can't write desire that way, it just sounds RIDICULOUS. But other people really like that stuff. I feel like if I don't adhere to cliche, the eventual novel will never sell, but if I do I'll hate it so much I'll never want it published. I don't know the genre enough to know when to break rules and take risks, but the story is still there, and will not shut up!

Anyone have any recommendations for romance writers that go beyond the typical fare, at least so  I know what I can get away with?

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2012 10:46 AM

Bumping this up so others can see it.

edavisauthor
Posted: Friday, February 8, 2013 11:59 AM

Oh my gosh, I know what you mean. But I am a romance author, and still find all the romances a bit the same, and it drives me crazy. But you know what, there is a formula that a great romance follows to be attractive to its readers, and if you don't follow that formula then it is not a romance. So many writers follow it. Even I followed it. I just think you write for your target audience. But my next book I decided it will be a romance but unfortunately it will fall into fantasy as I won't follow the basic romance formula.
Here is a link on it: http://www.writersdigest.com/qp7-migration-books/on-writing-romance-excerpt,

Jump to different Forum...