RSS Feed Print
Romance vs. Love Story - where do you draw the line?
KarenStivali
Posted: Thursday, April 7, 2011 4:01 AM

I understand that the traditional definition of a romance novel is a story in which the romance drives the plot and there's a HEA ending, but there seems to be a lot more to it than that. There are many books that are completely driven by the romance between the two MC's that are not considered romance novels for a multitude of reasons.

Nicholas Sparks is a prime example of an author who almost always writes stories that are driven by the romance between the MC's, and although he's considered by many to write romances he himself has come out adamantly declaring he is NOT a romance writer, he writes "love stories." Now, often times his books do not have a HEA, so right there I'd have to say he's right, his books don't fit the romance genre's specifications, but my question is where do you draw the line?

Is it a stylistic difference?

A difference of the characters' circumstances or availability to one another (emotional or otherwise)?

If the plot is a love story between the two MC's and they wind up together in the end what other factors would be deal-breakers and make it a love story and not a romance, in your opinion?

(Author's note: One of my novels seems to straddle the fence with some considering it to be a romance and others saying it's not, so I'm really curious to hear input on this topic.)

KarenBBalcom
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 9:25 PM

I'm not an expert since I'm in the same boat as you, my dear, with a book that walks the line between a romance and women's fiction with a strong romantic arc. Personally, I don't think that you can say that a book with a love story as the central arc and a HEA is a romance--it's way too simplistic.

I think it comes down to style. Most romances involve more than a little suspension of belief, in my opinion. Not saying I don't like the suspension of belief...I just often find myself thinking stuff like...Would she really tell him what kind of underwear she wears when they're standing at the mailbox? Would he really kiss her in the kitchen when they just met 30 minutes ago? Stuff like that. The stories progress quickly, there isn't a lot of build-up to the start of the love stuff and there's rarely any doubt that these people are going to end up together.
Marcie
Posted: Saturday, April 9, 2011 3:21 PM

My story also straddles that line. I think it comes down to how you present the work to others. If you view your book in a certain way, subconsciously you will make sure all the right elements are in place to make it so.
araTHEwriter
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 3:00 AM

I've read a lot on this topic and have spoken to a few agents and published authors. I too am in this limbo, but mainly because there are times that it is in the best interest of the author to be categorized in one genre or the other.

All the things the others have said are true. But there is one point that the question of Genre tries to answer: Where would it be in the bookstore? Romance isle or General Fiction?

If you research the publishers, you'll find that some houses have VERY specific guidelines down to the description of the hero (must be wealthy, handsome, etc) and the heroine (independent, doesn't need a man, strong, etc). The idea is that Romance novels are an escape, so some of the things they characters will do make you say, "Really? Would someone really say that?" However, the Romance reader, the person that goes to THAT isle expects certain things, and the publisher will make sure those certain things are delivered: HEA ending, love story, etc.

Then there's the brand management of the novelist. Nicholas Sparks wrote a tragic love story with the Notebook. This was a conscious decision to say that his books will always be found in the General Fiction isle along with a host of other novels that "could" be considered Romance, but are instead found in those isles because the author does not want to be type-cast. There is a stigma, it seems, with Romance. The cover will have some bare-chested guy and a very provocatively dressed woman. It seems that some novelists want to have the flexibility to experiment and try different things.

In the book "On Writing Romance" by Michaels is very clear on what makes a romance novel and what doesn't. I highly recommend it for a variety of reasons.

I've written a novel that has gotten three different opinions by three different agents (although none of them have picked it up yet). I should say, I'm a guy, so my love story/romance novel is really from the guys perspective (although I am in both POVs almost equally) -- but this is HIS story. Anyway, here's what I've been told.
(1) Well-written Contemporary Romance
(2) Excellent Romantic Comedy
(3) This is a very marketable mainstream fiction story

Great. Now what
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 9:26 PM

to me, a romance is where the romantic relationship is the POINT of the story. a love story is a story in which the romantic relationship is a vehicle for another point.
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:58 AM

Similar to Alexander, I'd say love story being central is key--but the love story IS what we're reading it for. I read romance almost exclusively (I occasionally delve into thrillers and YA/MG fantasy), and if the author spends too much time on one character's development on their own, versus their development in the relationship, I would call it a love story over a romance. For me, the relationship between the hero/heroine is the driving force of the story. Sure, there are obstacles and other bits of plot (like finding out who a murderer is, in romantic suspense, or saving the world in paranormal), but ultimately it comes down to how these two people meet, fall in love, and last together. The other stuff is extraneous.

Books by Bertrice Small and some Danielle Steel stories are love stories rather than romance, imo, because they tend to follow a heroine through a series of romances--keeping with the heroine's story. As a romance reader, it's not really my cup o' tea.
LisaMarie
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:51 AM

When I think of a love story, I think of … “Love Story” (the book and movie). I tend to attach a certain amount of mawkishness to love stories. Someone dies, becomes paralyzed, gets ill, etc., which in turn causes tension and strife and serious hanky time – that is, if you’re my mom. Often, there is no HEA between the MCs. Look at any of the Sparks books or “The Bridges of Madison County” (which I found truly dreadful, BTW). “Endless Love,” which was made into a movie, was actually a really decent book, but the two MCs didn’t end up together – on the contrary, the ending was extremely bittersweet.

Love stories often seem to sweep many years and stages of the MCs lives, too.

Romance. Love story. I just know ‘em when I see ‘em.

Tabetha Waite
Posted: Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:50 AM

This is a tough question, though I have to agree with some of the comments above that a 'romance' is the main avenue of the story, whereas a 'love story' doesn't always have a HEA. Take 'Romeo and Juliet' -- it's a story about love, but the setup seems to be more about the family conflict rather than the MC. Whereas the modern 'romance' novel is based on the MC attraction to each other and most likely, a sex scene or two. Either way, it's hard to draw a straight line between the two and honestly, I agree with Abigail -- what's wrong with  having your cake and eating it too?? It is FICTION after all.

Jump to different Forum...