RSS Feed Print
a place for authonomites?
lilmerlin
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 6:36 AM

John Bayliss wrote:

(I'm replying to Eric and lilmerlin. Quote doesn't seem to work for me.)

Katie asked about Avatars in the forum when she first joined on Thursday. Apparently it's a feature that's going to be introduced soon.

YEAH! And then they will go and make it all look like and work as it did on A, right?! Foremost, get rid of that horrid blue up there... tongueout

--edited by lilmerlin on 8/26/2015, 6:37 AM--

S E Dyne
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:28 PM

lilmerlin wrote:

>Another abandoned and lost Authono-Mite creeps in<

Well hullo then! Any NEW-YALF ppl here yet?!

confused

(Can't seem to get to profiles - when I click on names here all I see is which discussion you're on but no profiles mmh So nobody exists?!)

--edited by lilmerlin on 8/21/2015, 12:22 PM--

Hi Claudia  

I found my way here...wandering around like a lost cloud trying to figure it all out - there are a few of us Yalfers making there way...Heidi, Lexie, Natalie.....hope we can all hit the ground running...Yay

S E Dyne
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:32 PM

And how do you edit when you've made a typo - which I always do
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 3:40 PM

Hi, S E

To edit a post, click on the 'edit' icon at the top left corner of your freshly posted post. This will let you edit.

Hope that helps!

Amber

katie78
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:05 PM

i think the graphic and colors are lovely, but whenever i post it sends me back to the first page of the thread..
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 4:12 PM

@katie78:

Yeah, this is a nuisance Book Country has yet to fix, unfortunately.

lilmerlin
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:06 AM

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director wrote:
 Hello Lucy, I think I found a glitch here:
When I follow my subscription link
I will get to this overview of Discussions/Introduce yourself:
http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=8589936568
if I start from the main page and go to Discussions/Introduce yourself - this comes up (older and missing the newer including our thread):
http://stage.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=8589936568

Same happens with other threads - I posted a question, but forgot to subscribe to answers and now I only find an overview with old question - minus mine - when I go to "How to use book country from the main discussion page:
http://stage.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=topics&f=8589936567
ALAS: Again when I eliminate the "stage" with "www" I get to the newer post including mine.

It was not just searching for myself - I told somebody else to come over and look for the thread and he couldn't find it either ...

lilmerlin
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 5:57 AM

Oh look - we have been welcomed!! happy

http://blog.bookcountry.com/authonomy/

And Lucy summed up the differences for us wink
http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=8589937808

(Oh may I mention I dislike that I can past directly but have to remember to use ctrl & v?!)

--edited by lilmerlin on 8/27/2015, 6:00 AM--

lilmerlin
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:42 AM

Shout out to all YALFERS:

YALF has moved over and is now here thanks to APGeorge:

http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?tid=8589937819&g=posts&t=8589937819

happy

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:47 AM

@lilmerlin: Love the idea of YALFERs--but how about putting the thread on the board dedicated to YA? That way more of our members will see it and join in.
lilmerlin
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:49 AM

@lilmerlin: Love the idea of YALFERs--but how about putting the thread on the board dedicated to YA? That way more of our members will see it and join in.
I have just forwarded your question to AP - she is the YALF Boss Will let you know - sure it's no problem - we are all still confused and wandering around blindly here lol

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2015 11:49 AM

PS @lilmerlin--if you need help uploading, email me at support@bookcountry.com. Unless you have and I'm not recognizing your name? wink
(one of the reasons I love when writers use their real names as their BC display names . . . makes it easier for me to keep track of who's who!)
S E Dyne
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 5:47 AM

lilmerlin wrote:

http://www.bookcountry.com/Community/Discussion/Default.aspx?tid=8589937819&g=posts&t=8589937819

happy

Yay Lilmerlin & AP thats wonderful news- I'm happy to hear it and hopefully lots of new people to join us - fresh blood.....

lilmerlin
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 9:48 AM

S E Dyne wrote:
lilmerlin wrote:

happy

Yay Lilmerlin & AP thats wonderful news- I'm happy to hear it and hopefully lots of new people to join us - fresh blood.....

Here's the link for old and new YALFers:

Discussions » Young Adult and Middle Grade » YALF - review thread for those who write Young Adult

wink

lilmerlin
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 9:57 AM

PS @lilmerlin--if you need help uploading, email me at support@bookcountry.com. Unless you have and I'm not recognizing your name? wink
(one of the reasons I love when writers use their real names as their BC display names . . . makes it easier for me to keep track of who's who!)

No, I haven't - I was in a meeting with my crew of characters to decide if we want to rewrite first or just upload the current version with all it's problems. They voted against me, so I'll upload now. I'll let you know if I encounter a dragon...

Meanwhile: I see I have a new message. Is there a way to open it directly from that little envelope or do I need to go through the "view all" process? Thank you

UPDATE:

I am SOOO annoyed and frustrated right now!

I tried to upload - spent two hours fixing all the little things BC didn't like (means save and correct forever) - then tried to get the cover - although all was as asked for it didn't work. Then the page simply reloaded and - voila - my MS was gone as well! EVERYTHING!

I swore and hit whatever I could and started all over - same amount of time going over every single little thing again.

Result?

After clicking page the last time - it tells me "please wait" and loads and loads and loads and...
I give up. That's time I don't have.

--edited by lilmerlin on 8/29/2015, 2:15 PM--

katie78
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 2:39 PM

fyi- you can block harassing users here.
Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 6:20 AM

@lilmerlin:

Are you uploading in a doc. format? Also, what internet browser do you use? Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are the best browsers to use for Book Country.

Contact Lucy Silag with your problems. She can probably help.

I find it odd that so many people are having trouble uploading their manuscripts. When I first joined, my manuscript tended to have all these little extra spaces between paragraphs. Annoyed the heck out of me.

Lucy, you really should make it easier for members to upload manuscripts. Potential members will be turned away just for how time consuming the uploading process is. I understand that this is a free tool for writers, but Penguin Random House should at least make an easy Uploading Software or something so there isn't so much hassle.

Amber

lilmerlin
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 2:38 AM

@Amber J. Wolfe

yes, doc/docs, Firefox ... I read the entire instruction manual and forums to make sure. Spent six hours and then gave up - because on the last round it came up with a "soft return" thing but wouldn't let me fix it (besides all returns would be the same in my MS as I write and compile in scrivener - so no single soft return). It just messed up indents and other formatting but kept the sr. Absolutely annoying. (Oh yes I remember the 2000+ extra spaces and stuff)

Good one: After only four tries I at least got my cover uploaded. ha. what a joke.

--edited by lilmerlin on 8/31/2015, 5:07 AM--

Peter Carlyle
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 9:34 AM

John Bayliss wrote:
Mimi Speike wrote:

Wasn't Autonomy affiliated with a publisher? Who? How did that go? A number of folks have been picked up for trad publishing on here. 

Yes, Authonomy was run by HarperCollins. Although they said the purpose of the site was to find new writers, they hadn't published anything from there for the past eighteen months. Now they've pulled the plug on it. Their loss, in my opinion, considering that a lot of talented writers are moving from there to here.

Yes, John, I agree. Some of the editorial reviews of the books that made it to the desk were very general and unhelpful. I'd read books on there that were excellent and should have been published by HC, but were not.

Jump to different Forum...