RSS Feed Print
Giving Feedback on Point of View
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 11:21 AM

When you upload a WIP to Book Country and ask for feedback on POV, are you asking for comments on whether the POV is consistent (ie, it's always in the third person), or are you asking for more nuanced critique? Curious to hear how BC members interpret "POV" during the BC review process.

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Thursday, June 4, 2015 2:47 PM

Huh, good question, Lucy.

Honestly, when I click on the POV feedback criteria, I'm looking for whether the reviewer thinks the POV character is right for the scene, as well as if they found the character well written, interesting, right for the story, etc.

It'd be cool if we could leave little 'notes' under the feedback criteria we select, instead of cramming our wants into Author's Notes--which I find not a lot of people read over, anyway.

Like, say the reviewer clicks on Plot to write their thoughts, and a tiny message pops up from the author: I'm seeking opinions on whether the plot sucks you in--does it peak your interest? Specifically, did the first chapters draw you in? Or do you feel they're lacking?

Or something like that. You know, a way for the author and the reviewer to communicate better. That way, the author would get the answers they're worrying over, and the reviewer can have an idea of where the author's at.

Just a suggestion.

Amber

Andy Getch
Posted: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:14 PM

To me, if as a reader, my train of thought gets interrupted trying to figure something out, sometimes it is a POV issue. To me, POV covers person, time, where the narrator is, and where the scene is. What the narrator in that perspective could know, could not know, should or should not know. Person is first, second and third person. Within third person is an uninvolved observer mode, an involved (or limited) observer, and an all-knowing observer. Time is past or present. My draft is in first person, but in a prior draft I had mixed past and present tense.

Jump to different Forum...