RSS Feed Print
Post - Nano. What's next?
D J Lutz
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 10:37 AM

Just finished my Nanowrimo novel, a semi-cozy mystery with a culinary theme, entitled The Apple Pie Alibi. I need to road test the recipes in the afterword but should be ready to workshop the book next week. I am excited; it may not be perfect but it's the first complete book I have felt comfortable enough to share with (gasp) others.

How are you doing with your Nano work? Finished? Finishing? Any plans to post on Book Country?

Share your excitement! I mean, really - you just finished a book, for goodness sake!

imawake
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 11:10 AM

Hey, good for you! It's a nice feeling to be done and also pleased enough with it to let others see it. I finished my 50,000 words yesterday, but the novel is not finished, and it probably needs at least another 30,000 words or more until it is. But I'm surprised at how good I feel about it in general, after writing faster than I normally do. And I didn't plot it out in any detailed way ahead of time. I am not willing to let others see it yet though. I will have to edit it at least once first. It's way too rough for other people's eyes right now.
DCLabs
Posted: Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:50 PM

Congrats on winning!  Only a day away myself, very excited.

This year's project will need some more time to get finished and then proofed of course.  It's the second book in a two parter, the first of which is on Book Country.  If all goes to plan hopefully both will be published some day!  Working on getting the first one queried once NaNo is done.

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 9:04 AM

Congrats on winning! We're very excited for you! Can't wait to read it!

I just wrote a blog post about the NaNoWriMo finish line. Hope it helps.

Brandi

imawake
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 1:23 PM

I totally love the idea of bookstubs! And honestly, they are very reasonably priced. I will have to hurry up and finish my novel so I can take advantage of some of this stuff.
DCLabs
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 3:21 PM

I too read the blog post.  There's something different this year about having a company and community behind you writing NaNoWriMo that really helps.  Last year the only accountability I had was from family who knew I was doing it and my own stubbornness.  Having you friends walk the journey with me really does make things less like work and more like fun.  Having an organization cultivate, encourage and support adds weight and significance to the event.

Thanks everyone for tagging along, good luck to those still racing towards the line and a huge THANK YOU to Book Country to sponsoring and keeping NaNo going!  Proud to be a (newbie) member.

D J Lutz
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 5:09 PM
I understand about doing an edit first. I am doing that now, hoping it all makes sense! Looking forward to seeing your story!
imawake
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 7:53 PM

I'm with you, DC. It was so fun and so helpful to have Book Country behind us, and for all of you guys so we could cheer each other on. Without this, I am not sure I would have made it. I'm really grateful. Since I reached my 50K, I haven't written a word. I will have to push myself forward now. But I'm glad I signed on here, I am enjoying being part of a writing community. Otherwise, writing can be a lonely affair.
Maggie Whiet
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2013 10:36 AM

Congratulations to all the Nano winners! It was fun watching your camaraderie grow. I had fun watching all of you cheer yourselves on! Keep going, being strong, persistent and valiant in your writing endeavors.

Best wishes,
Maggie

imawake
Posted: Sunday, December 1, 2013 11:41 AM

Thank you, Maggie! And I wish you the same with your writing. Hopefully we can keep cheering each other on, even though NaNo is over. I have to admit, I feel a little let down that it's done. I hope I can find the incentive to keep going because my novel is not yet finished. You did well; you hung in there even with all your responsibilities! And you find the time to post on this board which is great because I like knowing that you're out there.
D J Lutz
Posted: Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:28 AM

People are talking about the post-Nano let down and I can totally relate. I am forcing myself to slog through the initial edit of the draft, correcting the obvious crap I missed in November. It's taking longer than I expected. Then again, my in-laws are here for another week, yes another, and the distraction factor is red-lining. "Are you writing? What are you writing today? Can I read some of it? Don't let us bother you. You just write like we aren't even here. What's your book about?" Gaaaack!

<Lifting a glass of Merlot>  Cheers to you all. Keep writing. If I can - you can!

Moru
Posted: Thursday, December 5, 2013 7:17 AM

I've been good so far about editing. My NaNo novel is my second book so I'm working on the first right now to make it consistent with the one I did for NaNo I hope I can keep the momentum up and get it reviewed here soon!
philo
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 5:38 PM
I won but I'm no where near finished on the draft.  I have to finish the book.  I am also working on a revision of the July Camp NaNoWriMo.  IF I am real lucky, both will be good to go by next Nov.  I sort of was hoping for July because I wanted to get a 3rd book going but I want these two off the table by then.
Basil Lee
Posted: Sunday, December 8, 2013 7:21 PM

DJ Lutz, I am excited to read your book. It is a scary feeling to share with people you have never met and do not know. Every time I am in front of a jury, I tell a story to complete strangers. It can be nerve wracking to be certain. I would offer this advice to everyone - take it for what its worth: do get an editor for the structure of your work and fine tuning the plot. If grammar is not your strong point, ahem, like

someone I know well, then hire a proofreader who focuses on the grammar/punctuation.  

I live in the middle of nowhere, Nebraska, and getting anything done is a challenge from that perspective. Congrats in the win to everyone and thank you to Book Country for your support in the aftermath.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, December 9, 2013 10:57 AM

Love reading all these comments about the experience of doing Nano and what everyone's looking forward to now that November is over.

Philo and Basil--just sent you each a connection request so we can be in touch and I can help show you around Book Country. Welcome!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Lidy wilks
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 1:51 PM

this year was my first year of participating in NaNo. knew about it for years but always managed to punk out. i had fun doing NaNo, even when pulling my hair out or staring into an empty void of no inspiration land, but still i had fun. even though i fell short of 20k words, i've written more in one month than i did on another novel i'm working on, which took three months, and that was before i chaptered the entire book out. was already in the revision process and completing the book draft when i put it on hold for NaNo.

for this year's NaNo, i used one of my tentative future novel, previously called Witches. I was without a name for the main character until a name caught my attention and once I found out the meaning behind the name, I knew i wouldn't let it go. That's how i came up with the title, Nadia, the Hidden Fire Witch. Here's the pitch:

Nadia Kemp is a very special witch. Why is she special? Only her family knows.

Nadia, a lonely witch, is the new girl in town. After years of homeschooling, Nadia begins her countdown until Labor Day, but finds herself targeted by persons unknown. Determined to have the normal high school life she’s dreamed of, Nadia has less than two weeks to find who’s after her and why. Can Nadia defeat her pursuers and avoid capture or will she never walk down the pristine hallways of Lyndonburg High School?

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=5992

i plan to use the remaining year to complete the 50k draft i started for NaNo 2013 and this time, i will not go back to revise! and as for NaNo 2014, I'll be ready.

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, December 10, 2013 6:11 PM

Hi Lidy! Congrats on your hard work during NaNoWriMo!!

And thanks for posting a link to your NaNo project. I am making a list of Wrimos' Book Country books so that we can feature them on Book Country in the coming weeks. Adding yours to my list now!

Just sent you a connection request, too. Glad to meet you on Book Country!

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Jump to different Forum...