RSS Feed Print
The beauty of a swiftly moving plot!
Lucy Silag
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2013 10:26 AM

Hi everyone, happy Monday!

This morning I sat down with the first chapter of Maria Granovsky's mystery THE LIONESS IN WINTER and was immediately hooked. There are a lot of things working in this mystery, but the one that really stood out to me what how much forward momentum the plot has. LIONESS is a classic general mystery in the sense that there is immediately a body, and immediately a murder to solve. While I don't mind a slow-burning mystery, it is exhilarating to jump into the action of a mystery right away. Maria did an awesome job setting it up right away, and weaving in backstory so that we never really leave the scene--something that I think does a lot to propel a plot forward.

Check out THE LIONESS IN WINTER if you're thinking about how to breathe some life into your plot (something I feel like I am always working on in my writing), or if you're just eager to read a good mystery!

What other plot-driven WIPs are you all reading here on the site?

Lucy

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

--edited by Lucy Silag on 9/23/2013, 10:27 AM--

txnursie
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:12 PM

I will have to add that to my reading list! There's nothing like a good, fast-moving plot! I get so frustrated working my way through a slow, detail-laden drudgery of a book. As a result, I've found myself erring on the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess it's a classic case of over-compensating. I find myself racing through my story, rushing to get the scene done, then having to go back later and painstakingly adding in details.

I'm looking forward to reading the book you recommended in hopes of finding that balance. 

txnursie
Posted: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 11:12 PM

I will have to add that to my reading list! There's nothing like a good, fast-moving plot! I get so frustrated working my way through a slow, detail-laden drudgery of a book. As a result, I've found myself erring on the opposite end of the spectrum. I guess it's a classic case of over-compensating. I find myself racing through my story, rushing to get the scene done, then having to go back later and painstakingly adding in details.

I'm looking forward to reading the book you recommended in hopes of finding that balance. 

Jump to different Forum...