RSS Feed Print
Small Press Offer
LilySea
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:00 AM

I got an offer tonight from one of several small presses I queried about  two months ago.

I am really happy about this. It's a decent press and the contract looks fairly typical (from what I've seen nosing around). There's even a small advance, which is really nice.

The thing is, I'm not sure this is how I want to go with the book (or with my writing career, in the bigger picture). I did query the press, so it is definitely something I would (will!!) consider.

Right now I'm full of questions, though and wishing I had an agent to answer them--or at least toss them back at me in a strategic, Socratic way that would lead me to Clarity and Truth.

But never mind my angst, this is happy news. I'll take a problem like this one any day!

Timothy Maguire
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 1:45 PM

Congratulations! I wish I could help you with the whole agent thing, but I suspect I'll just make things work.
LilySea
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2012 4:03 PM

Thanks!

HJakes
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:58 AM

Congratulations, Lily! Sometimes it's possible to take an offer to agents. You could try a rapid query-go-round, mentioning the offer and press, to see if that helps you to attract representation, if that's what you're looking for.

An agent does more than just explain the contract provisions and what they actually mean to you. They are also an experienced professional in your corner, so if you find yourself at odds with the publisher - over edits, timeliness, payment issues - you've got an advocate.

Again, congratulations!
LilySea
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:01 AM

Thanks. I'm still mulling it all over. I think I have a handle on the contract basics (including what I'd want changed before I sign it) but I have larger career questions I'd really like an agent to advise me about.

The offer is just on the line, I think, of being worthwhile to an agent, but it would depend on the contract provisions and whether or not *I* would be worth it to an agent in the future...

LilySea
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 7:57 PM

And...I never signed that contract. I did a bunch of research and couldn't decide if I wanted to go with the press.
Now I have another offer from another small press. This one is e-only, but a solid, professional publisher, all the same. I think I like it better, but it still not quite my dream come true.
I am getting cold feet, but I think I ought to just take the plunge and keep working for the agent and a bigger press in the future.
Can anyone think of why I shouldn't go ahead and sign?
(I have already queried this book extensively and had some agent interest, but finally no actual offers of representation, so I think as far as this book is concerned it isn't going anywhere else.)
Pros:
It's a real press, so I'd have a professional team behind me in terms of editing and cover design and some marketing.
I'd get at least some kind of pay for the work I've been doing for free for four years now.
I'd have my foot in the door to publish other work at this press, including a possible sequel to the book they want.
Cons:
It's small and e-only and therefor has a limited audience--though it's growing every day.
I will be published under a glbt imprint. (This itself has pros and cons, the pro is a built-in fan base, but the con is being stuck in a ghetto.)

Is it a pro or a con to be published in this way when seeking an agent and a more traditional deal in the future? Is that just a matter of sales?

Sigh.
Help.

P.S. It's a good problem to have, I appreciate that.

Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2013 1:04 PM

What it tells me is that your writing is moving in the right direction. Good job! There is nothing wrong with a digital-first publisher. Great writers have come out of Ellora's Cave and Samhain and the myriad other strong digital-first pubs. And traditional publishers do scout the offerings at those publishers. I know Penguin has plucked a few writers off them to bring in-house.

The real question is do you feel comfortable with them, have you done your research, and if you sign with them, will be happy?

Personally, I'm proud of you and of how far you've come as a writer in the time I have known you.

Good luck, no matter what you decide!

Colleen

Sinnie Ellis
Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:41 AM

Congratulations. I hope great things come of these offers for you! I love hearing when people here reach greatness.

Nancy S Goodman
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:53 PM

I am in the exact same position.  I wrote and received an offer from a small epublisher.  I decided to go for it and am now in the middle of edits.  I can see that many of the books they promote do get good press and reviews on Amazon, etc, so I will be happy if mine comes to that.  An author told me that any publishing is good for the resume.  I am now trying to rep out my second book of the series to an agent  I 've had one request for revisions, so I'm off to the editor.  My biggest problem is finding a critiquer/beta reader who sin't trying to change  my "voice".  It can be frustrating.
LilySea
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 9:52 AM

Well...I signed.
I realized that my cold feet were more about the small press I had not heard from yet. It was my first choice press and I just didn't want to sign without knowing where I stood with them. So I wrote and explained and they got back to me right away.
They praised my book, but said it wasn't quite the right fit for their press (which I kind of already suspected) and were very kind. So I thanked them and happily signed with press #2.

Now I am strategizing marketing. Lucky for me my crit partner is also a freelance book marketer, so he and I are having a lot of fun brainstorming.

Thanks for listening!

Jump to different Forum...