RSS Feed Print
Open Thread! Talk about pretty much anything here, folks!
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 1:19 PM

This is pretty darn amusing, and informative: The History of English In Ten Minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rexKqvgPVuA&feature=youtu.be
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:10 PM

Carl, you genius. Great video - entertaining yet educational. Aaah, lovely. The guys in diapers/nappies got me chuckling. Thanks.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:46 PM

That was awesome. I learned a lot and I never got bored with it.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:53 PM

"American English, or not english but somewhere in the ballpark."

That was awesome. I loved every minute of it. I wish I was still in college so I had professors to share it with, or at least the ones that were left.
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 6:48 PM

Thanks, Carl! Laughed out loud many times while viewing that.

So, if not English, what should we call it? Globalese? Terrish? Gaiaian (too hard to say!)? (Anything but The Common Tongue!)

Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:53 AM

@Angela: "The Common Tongue". Getting a bit tired of that over-used reference for a lingua franca, are you?

PS. For the longest time I thought that was a pejorative Puritan term hung around the metamorphical neck of an orally-fixated "scarlet-letter" woman in a Hawthorne novel . . .

:::ahem:::

GD Deckard
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:52 AM
LM(Puritan)AO!
Angela Martello
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 1:08 PM

I was going to spend some time Easter Sunday night posting some comments and posing a question or two for this particular thread to keep folks chatting, but I had a call from a very dear, long-term friend (we met 30 years ago in graduate school). She was recently diagnosed with a rather aggressive form of cancer and has had surgery and just started her 6 rounds of chemotherapy.

Needless to say I was (and still am) upset over this. And then it got me thinking about my life and life in general and somehow that led to thinking about all the time I spend writing and on this site. And I began to wonder if any of that (the writing and spending time on this site) really mattered in the grand scheme of things and if maybe I should put the writing (especially if it's really not going to ever get published) on hold and spend time doing other, perhaps more worthwhile, things.

But then I thought, I tend to work on my writing late in the evenings, so what would I be doing then? Brooding? Watching bad television? Posting nonsense stuff on Facebook?

Don't know. . . just in a funk today. . .

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 3:21 PM

@Angela: I am so very sorry to hear about your friend. I wish her all the best and hope, as I'm sure you do, for her complete recovery and a diagnosis of cancer in remission. (Where I work we have a beloved, super-intelligent, kind-hearted man in his mid-thirties who was diagnosed with stomach cancer barely six months ago and is now in hospice care. It was a shock to us all, especially as his wife just had another child.)

Your questions are important, wrenching ones. I can only answer with what I believe.

In the simplest and most direct language possible: The crafting of art should never be mistaken for a life entire. Rather, life-lived experiences (both physical and mental) inform and elucidate art. Life should support art, not the other way around.

If you are temporarily exhausted and need to step away from your practice (whatever that may be: word count produced, books read, discussions followed, etc.) step away. Your mental and physical health require it. Attempting to create art while exhausted and dispirited will only result in the creation of exhausted, dispiriting art. And though I enjoy a good gloomy existentialist novel as much as the next person we probably have enough of those to last us awhile . . .

As to the point of it all: On this question I have absolutely no doubt. Every word you ever struggled to write, every book you ever read, changed you irrevocably and unalterably—for the better. It deepened, enriched and energized your life. Right now that is impossible to believe because you are exhausted and sorrowing and that is at it must be: Mind, body and spirit are crying out, “Enough! We need to rest, re-fit, replenish.”

I am not speaking in airy-fairy spiritual terms and I do not use the pronoun “we” casually or lightly.

You—as do all of us—have, in fact, two brains. The left and the right hemispheres are united by a thick band of connective tissue called the corpus callosum; this is the part of the brain that transfers and integrates motor, sensory and cognitive information between the two hemispheres. This may sound very scientific and reductionist but it is the astounding truth: cut this band of connective tissue (like they do in lobotomies) and you cleave one person into two; the left hand literally does not know what the right hand is doing.

Here’s where the importance of writing and reading come in: they exercise and stimulate more parts of the brain than any other activity does. That sentence is so important that I’m tempted to type it again. Studies have shown that writers and constant readers, in particular, show thicker corpus callosums (in autopsies after death) than people who do not read and write in anything more than the most perfunctory, desultory fashion.

The spiritual enters into it for me right at this point: Written words are only so many black tick marks on a page. Yet when we read them our brains are stimulated and both hemispheres light up. Engrams are laid down, excited neurons fire and intangible thought  wreaks demonstrable, long-lasting effects on matter. If that isn’t magic—or the majesty of God working in mysterious, wondrous ways—or simple materialism at its most awe-inspiring and numinous—or (paradoxically and counter-intuitively) all three working together at once—I don’t know what is.

Related thought: During this necessary down time won’t you be listening to music, watching television and film, reading, etc.? All of these are art. Someone struggled—as you have struggled—to produce them so that they could be available to aid and comfort you now, in your time of need. Perhaps each one of these artists experienced poignant, searing moments of doubt and existential pain during the creation of their art, moments when they said to themselves:  “What am I doing this for? Who am I doing this for? What’s the point?”

If only they had known: The point was Angela Martello. And your unnamed friend.

I am certain that every Book Country member who reads your post will reach out to you with the warmest regards and earnest, heartfelt prayers (from the religious) for the full and speedy recovery of your friend.

I am one of them. Be well, dearest Angela.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 3:56 PM

I"m with Carl. Share good books or movies with your friend, Angela. There is nothing like good art. It's even better if it's genuinely humorous because laughter really can make things feel right, even if only for a breath in time.

Warmest wishes.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 10:09 PM

ARRRGH! Forgive me my many typos and backwards-stated premise there, Angela: I meant to write: "Art should support life; not the other way around." (That's what I get for writing with only half my brain while involved in other projects at work.)

I will be thinking about your friend often in the days to come. I hope we hear good news soon . . .

More than anything, though, I support and defend your decision to step away from things for awhile. (So of course you're not reading this; you're off resting and revitalizing yourself . . . as you should be . . .)

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:15 AM

Angela, I will be praying for your friend. My mother was in the hospital right before I joined Book Country. I was scared for a while that we were going to lose her. I still live with her, so I was also faced with the thought that if something happened to her, I would be homeless. I currently don't have a job due to the fact that I have IBS, which makes it difficult to work in a normal job. I'm looking for a job i can do from home so I can be with my mom when my brother is at school. Luckily, she pulled through and is now better of than when she went in. 

Wow. I really got of topic. Sorry. Anyway, I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. As for writting, I would never be able to give it up. It has got me through saw hard times and I love it so much. As for if it means anything,  refer to Carl's comment. I hope you feel better soon. Huggles to you.
Jess Crupe
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:59 AM

Angela - I agree with Carl. And I'd like to add:
It's much too easy, I think, to withdraw from the life around us and envelope ourselves in our imaginary worlds and characters. Life is more predictable to us there, I imagine, than in the real one outside our windows. After all, we know how it all ends in our minds.
That being said, I always try to take a step back and make sure I never do that (or at least, not for too long), as I'm sure you do and would do, especially in this circumstance. It's never a good thing when these things happen and force us to take stock of what really matters, but when all is said and done, the time we spend with loved ones and family is time we can never retrieve, once it is lost. So, though it would be sad to lose you for a while on BC, we all understand. Spend time with your friend, make memories with her, and if that means taking time off from here and your writing, we and it will be here when you return. 
Thinking good thoughts for you and your friend. Be well.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:02 PM

Angela - Another thought. As for whether your writing and presence here is worthwhile - only you can answer that. I'm sure I speak for the group of usual suspects when I say, we think it is.
But if both or one makes you happy, please keep doing it. We must also always do what gives us joy, even if it is only for our own entertainment. Life's often too painful and short for us NOT to do what makes us happy.
Sorry - feeling awfully philosophical today. 
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2012 9:01 PM

Carl, LeeAnna, Jessica, Laura – Thanks. Book Country is so much more than a web site, a community of writers – it is an extended family.

I’ve known my friend Cyndi for 30 years. We met in graduate school – we lived across the hall from each other in the grad dorm. UConn starts its fall semester before Labor Day. That first year, Cyndi – who I knew for all of 3 days – asked me if I was going home back to Philadelphia for the weekend. I told her no, and that I would just be hanging out on campus. She said, “Nonsense! You’re coming home with me!” So off we went to Massachusetts. I had a blast and we’ve been friends since. We only see each once a year – over Labor Day weekend – when I fly up to where she lives. Sometimes, she or her husband will stay with me if their jobs require a visit to Philadelphia.  (She asked me on Sunday if I was planning on coming up this year. You know I am!)

The distance is one reason I’ve been in a funk. I can’t walk over and sit and have a cup of tea with her and chat. The other reason is that she has so much going for her (CEO of a large, national society dedicated to a research, advocacy, and fund raising for a major disease [not cancer]; wife [married her college sweetheart]; and mother of two great sons) and she has always wholeheartedly lived her life. Cancer has no business intruding on her life.

But I contacted another friend of my who is a research nurse who had some encouraging words and my work in medical publishing does allow me to read up on various diseases and understand a fair amount of the material. Cyndi’s cancer was stage 1c; the tumor was contained – both very good things. The downside is that it was a rather aggressive type of cancer with a 30% to 50% chance of recurrence. But that means there is a 50% to 70% chance of it not recurring, and that’s what I need to keep in mind. (That and cancer has no business intruding on her life.)

So, I worked with clay Monday night (made about 100 miniature tiles), watched some bad television (and some decent television), did some brooding, even roughed out a section in one of my books that has been giving me trouble, and ordered a large flower arrangement (with lots of yellow – Cyndi’s favorite color) and sent it off to her with some words of hope.

My friend’s cancer and some other things that have been happening emphasize just how fragile and fleeting and full of uncertainty our lives are. As Gandalf said, “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.” For me, I know I have to spend a portion of the time given to me doing something creative – whether that be writing, tile-making, jewelry-making, or arranging flowers in my garden.

So, to spin this thread into another direction, one of my daily joys is an e-mail from the Storypeople.com web site – the Story of the Day (by Brian Andreas). Some of them are silly, some very thought-provoking, and each is accompanied by a little line drawing. Here’s an example: “How can you be sure it has a soul? she said. You can’t, I said, unless you’ve got one yourself.”

I thought I’d give it a try: I told him once that I dance through life looking for miracles and he said, what if you don’t find any? I said that it would be better to dance through life looking for miracles and not find any than it would be to scurry through life looking for disasters. At that, he scurried away.

Love to see what you all come up with.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 10:25 AM

That puts me in mind of a young girl talking to an middle aged adult. Sometimes it takes a child to show us something that we have forgotten. I'm not sure what you wanted us to do, but this is my 'mental picture'.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 4:07 PM

I was going to jump in here several times, and then I thought, no. What I have to say is so unimportant in comparison with what Angela is dealing with. We all wish you and your friends the best, Angela.

Life is so capricious. We see it everyday. Someone, somewhere, said, (the words stick in my memory) Life is a risky business. Ain't none of us getting out of this alive.

Angela, I also beat myself up over the amount of time I spend on Book Country. I could be cleaning my house (which never doesn't need it). I could be gardening, my favorite thing to do. I used to enjoy hitting the fleamarkets. Friends refused to go with me, they complained that they couldn't keep up with me. I've been active all my life. Now, my preferred state is the vegetative one.

What happened? I got old. And it happened remarkably quickly, in the last two years.

My knees hurt, most days. Arthritis, I'm told. My get-up-and-go, as my mother used to say, has got-up-and-went. In addition, I had breast cancer three years ago (it was caught miraculously early, I'm fine) and I'm on an estrogen blocker which, for some reason, causes aches and pains in the legs.

It's so easy to loll in bed, putzing around on Book Country. My big i-Mac is a foot away. My wireless keyboard and mouse are on my lap. It's grand.

I could be reading, for pleasure and/or research for my book. I could be writing, trying to whip my pig-headed characters into shape. But it's so easy, and so pleasant, to play in the sand-box with you guys. 

Thanks, kids!

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 7:51 PM

Mimi, your post made me smile. I put around on here a lot to get my self psyched up to write. I read my review and they make me determined to improve. I have two stories up now. Yes people, I put a new one up. It's more my speed. It is called "Tenko and the Guardians".  Please review it everyone.
Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, April 13, 2012 8:58 PM

Hi, Mimi,

I well acquainted with Mr. Arthur Ritis. He's a real pain in the ________ (fill in the blank). Almost every vertebrae in my neck is herniated, plus I have, ahem, "age-appropriate joint degeneration" and (my personal favorite) "crepitus" plus some scoliosis, so I frequently have muscle spasms in my neck, which cause neck and back pain and headaches. I also have an achy hip (Mr. Ritis, again) and nerve damage in one foot (from a large bone spur and tarsal tunnel) and the beginnings of tarsal tunnel in the other ankle (trying to nip that in the bud; I can't go through that surgery again!). So, I ache and creak and pop, but I keep moving. (Actually feel better when after a long walk - despite the nerve pain in my feet.) I figure if I ever wake up without ANY pain, that's the day I woke up dead.

But when I do plop myself down for the evening, I inevitably fire up my laptop and visit this site. You're right - it's so much fun hanging out with the folks on this site. (By the way, I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but I'd ask about the achy legs brought on by the estrogen blocker. Just to make sure it's not affecting your circulation. And kudos to you for kicking cancer in the ass!)

Jessica - I'll add your second book to my ever-growing list. Need to dedicate some time just to doing reviews.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 12:08 AM

Thanks Angela. I also have a little arthritis in my right ankle from spraining it so many times. it only acts up when it rain or if i walk a lot. 
Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 2:41 AM

Angela,

You've got me beat, I guess, for aches and pains. I get them all over too, neck, elbows, knees, ankles, but, generally not at the same time. Whatever the pains in the legs are, I was warned that the pill I take has that side effect.

My world is getting smaller, as I give up activity after activity because I hurt too much. Most days I have to bribe myself to get out in the yard with a glass of wine. There's nothing more elegant than tending your emerging perennials with a glass of chablis near at hand, set down on the walk. Just don't forget it's there and knock it over.

Concerning doctors, have I got a story for you! For years I suffered, two or three times a year, from a pain up the right side of my face, which lasted for weeks. I went to doctor after doctor. 

The G.P. sent me to an allergist. The allergist sent me to a dentist. The dentist said, go to an opthalmologist. So I did. I went to Yale, even. Finally I was referred to a neurologist. He put me through endless tests. Then he sat me down in his office and announced, I'm diagnosing you with blah-blah-blah-blah (it was Latin).

Well, I was ready to shit. I'd thought for years that I must have some rare condition, or it would have been identified long since. Then he explained, that means that you have a problem but we don't know what it is.

Ha! I eventually met my husband. He'd been a holistic practitioner working with doctors in Germany. I described my symptoms. He said, sounds like trigamenous (possibly not spelled right).  Known of in Europe for a century. The treatment is vitamin B-12. Let's try it. Won't hurt, might help.

He gave me a shot. The pain was gone in twenty minutes. I've never had the problem since. Any time it threatens, I take a B-12 pill.

Fifteen years of misery, and all I needed was a vitamin. Not only that. The doctors, one and all, seemed to think I was a nutcase, it was all in my head. Certainly, when the condition came on, I was on the verge of hysterics. It seemed to affect my vision. I was convinced that I was going blind in my right eye. Since the attacks have ceased, my vision in that eye has improved. I can read again, for hours at a time, which I had been unable to do for so long, it took too much of an effort. 

Like I said, my world is growing smaller. I still garden, but for how long? Thank God for Book Country, my new favorite thing to do.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:03 PM

I agree, BC has been a life saver for me too. After leaving college, getting married, and moving to another state I was kind of a mental wreck. I had no job, and a disease that prevents me from spending too much time in the sun, or lights that produce long wave UVs. (I won't go there now. It makes me feel like I'm whining.) BC spurred me on to finish my book and work on my short stories, so I'm not ashamed to spend too much time on here. It's the exposure I need to other writers and readers. I like it here. It makes me feel like I'm not stuck in a house, on a base, in a small town 50 miles from a couple of major cities I would really like to visit.
Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 4:46 PM

LeeAnna - Visiting this site is freeing in many respects - and mine-expanding and challenging. The things people post in the various threads here are INFINITELY more interesting and thought-provoking than anything I've read on Facebook. And, you're absolutely right, it's the type of environment that encourages you to keep plugging away at your writing and editing.

Mimi - I suffered with headaches (actually turned out to migraines) for almost two years. Loads of tests, injections, and pills with more side effects than I care to mention. Do you know what's working? Vitamins and supplements (B2, magnesium, coenzyme Q10) and physical therapy (shoulder/neck/back exercises and some cervical spine manipulations). All the neurologists wanted to do was treat the symptoms - never take care of the cause of the headaches (the muscle spasms in my neck entrapped the various nerves and triggered headaches). My physical therapist was/is the only one who really listened to me when I talked about my symptoms! Sounds to me like you had trigeminal neuralgia (I recently worked on a monograph on that). It is an extremely painful nerve condition - that many people have a hard time getting their doctors to (a) recognize and diagnose and (b) treat. So glad the B12 worked!

And, hey, if we weren't spending time on BC, we'd probably be hanging out on the street corners getting into trouble.

GD Deckard
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:20 PM
BC strikes me as an intellectual forum. I'd like to think, if were were in a Paris cafe, we'd talk to one another pretty much the same way as we do here, openly, with the same willingness to listen to and respect for different ideas.
Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 14, 2012 5:40 PM

GD - The only difference is if we were in a Paris cafe, we'd be enjoying coffee and croissants or some other delightful French pastry.

It's probably better for our waistlines and arteries that BC is an online community. Although, I can think of some lovely little cafes down some of the side streets of some of the places I've been to in Italy that would be wonderful for sitting and talking about writing. . .

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 5:51 AM

I wish we were in some cafe in Paris. I've always wanted to go there.

And I feel I've become a better writer thanks to everyone here at BC. I still have a ways to go, but I know I'll get there with your support. And I hope to support others like me here as well.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 10:53 AM

I love this sight. I'm not a very social person, but I love to meet people. I have social anxiety that often prevents me from going out and meeting people that way. BC is a way for me to spread my wings, so to speak. Here, I can get honest opinions on my work. It also helps to have people you don't know read your books. They don't know who you are or where you live. That was one of my problems with Jenny's Love. the only person who read it was the person Anna was based on. So she knew who was how and how they related. No one here does and that helped me see that no one had any ideas on who the characters where. 
Okay, new question time. What comes first: the story or the characters? I do both. For Tenko And The Guardian's, I made Tenko up as my guardian angel. Kisa became me, and a story was created. On another one of my stories, I had a plot, but I needed characters.Which do you do?
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 11:27 AM

Characters and plot kind of come together at the same time when I write my short stories. I decide what kind of story I want to write and what character would be necessary to complete my goal. That is how I'm doing "One Pin Short of Ten" now and "Papers to Paradise." (I hope to get both up here eventually.)

My novel was a different story. My MC was originally an online RPG board character when I was 11. Let me just say she has evolved a lot. The other characters are inspirations from people I knew or ideas they had, except Adamar, he's entirely my own. Of course, they all have grown to be uniquely mine. I doubt my friends would ever recognize their ideas now. Maturing and growing as a person shows up in your work.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 1:31 PM

Most of what I write is verse.

My one prose piece, Sly!, started with an idea, to write a story based on Hey, Diddle, Diddle, the Cat and the Fiddle. I created the cat, and he immediately took over and started writing himself. With my assistance, of course. Half of him is me, the other half is my husband. The piece is character-driven, definitely.

With my verse, I also begin with an idea, but my story veers in this or that direction according to what possibilities I dig out of my rhyming dictionary. For I try to avoid the obvious. I adore the exotic, and the quixotic. If I stoop to moon and June, you can bet it's in some surprising context.

When you come up with bugaboo and Timbuktu, boo-hoo-hoo and barley-brew, raree-show, seraglio, and got-to-go, a delightfully strange world suggests itself, for you to tinker with to your heart's content. 

It's a treasure hunt, the quest for the right word. Fabulous fun! 

Jessica, I too am not overly eager to interact with people, in the flesh. I'm very much an introvert, quite happily so. You are not alone.

Adelaide Emerson
Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2012 6:54 PM

I tend to develop stories around the characters. In fact, I have a whole bunch of fictional people swimming around in my thoughts - acting, interacting, going about their fanciful adventures which, most of the time, would never make a good story. It is my characters -not bills, romance, work or any of the other usual suspects - that keep me awake at night. They evolve and grow, take on personalities and seem to cultivate their own world until one day I realize that there is something worthwhile brewing in the chaos. And so I type...

The plots come along eventually.

But from my perspective, Jessica, you've got the tough part figured out. If you have a plot, and especially if you know how you want the story to unfold, than you probably have a good idea of the type of characters you need and how you need them to behave. Now all you have to do is give them names.

And this brings up another topic. Names. I have so much trouble with this and will go through online baby name sites for hours trying to find a good fit. How do you decide on names?!

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2012 10:52 PM

Hello All,

A concept always grabs me first, and that develops into a story.  I fill the story with characters based on people I’ve known or learned about.  For instance, my story “And The Last Shall Be First” was inspired last summer by all the celebration around the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell – it’s a bit of a cautionary tale.  I pretty much worked out the way the plot would go, that was easy, the hard part was the characters.  I needed to make some sympathetic and others not, but at the same time they had to be real people.  Got into an argument with Carl over one of them (that’s the great thing about BC, we can argue but end up learning and improving).

Names?  I always try to keep them simple.  I still remember when one rule of genre writing was to make your name descriptive – Stony Rockjaw, Space Ranger, or Belle Elegante´, Countess and Spy. Luckily those days are gone.  In “Agony of the Gods” my too MC’s have no names (some reviewers liked that, but one hated it).  Just do what works and feels right.

Angela, best wishes for your friend.  Here’s a story that might help.  My father moved up from Florida to be with us.  When he got here he was diagnosed with prostate cancer by a young oncologist in the area.  I spoke with the Doc and he told me he was pretty sure my father was borderline stage C/D – a pretty bad diagnosis. He went through both chemo and radiation.  A few years later the young oncologist passed away.  Twenty some-odd years after the original diagnosis my Dad passed – of old age! You just never know, but the important thing is to let the person know they have friends who care (from your posts I’m sure you do – blessings upon you).

Tom   

Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:17 AM

Hi, Tom - Thanks! One never knows with cancer or how the person will respond to treatment. My friend has a very extensive support system around her (actually, around the country) and she's a fighter.

Which came first - the characters or the plot. Hell if I know. Seriously, usually one or two characters and the beginnings of a storyline come to me and I just take it from there. Writing is and has always been a very organic process for me. There is a lot of planning AFTER the bulk of the story is written. The planning comes into play during the revisions when I iron out (or at least TRY to iron out) plot inconsistencies, fizzling plot lines, character POVs, and so on.

As for names, they just come to me. The "non-human" names take a little longer (and I often rely on what just sounds right to me - rhythmically, vowel-consonant combination-wise, etc.). The "human" names generally contain first names that I just happen to like. Of course, as the story progresses, I do change names if it seems warranted.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:34 PM

Names, that's a hard one for me. I have a tendency to mix names when it comes to cultures for my world. My MC's real name, for example, is Melodina Moonari. Even though she's an elf, she prefers the human version Melody. Then I have a half human prince with an elven name, where as his half brother's is an altered spelling of a popular Russian name. I just do what I think might work for the character. As a general rule I try not to have to many start with the same letters so people can keep the characters straight.
Delroy Henry
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2012 8:46 PM

Names are the hardest ……. I literally sit for hours trying to come up with something that feels right.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 7:46 AM

For me, how I got names changed. I started by making up names, but my anime addiction made them all Japanese sounding, as in Tenko and the Guardians. In Angelic Savior, (not up here yet. Still typing!) I used a baby names website to fit names to a specific trait of my character.
stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2012 11:28 AM

For names I tend to go to baby name sites, choose a letter, and browse the names until one strikes my fancy.  Sometimes I'll look for a certain ethnicity to keep the names sounding like they could all come from the same culture but that's rare.  I do try not to repeat letters if I can help it, especially among the main characters who will show up on the majority of the pages.
GD Deckard
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:36 AM

@Delroy Henry: For what it's worth, you might try naming a character by starting with a one-word definition of that character's essential role, and then
researching the linguistic or mythological roots of that word.

Examples:
Ambrose Phoenix is (well, kinda, anyway) immortal. The roots of both names are "immortal."
Rhiannon Dell is a girl from a small town who grows up to becomes a priestess. First name from a goddess in Welsh mythology, second name from an old English word referring to pastoral regions.
Otero Smith is an ordinary kid who grows to accomplish extraordinary things. Smith is ordinary, but his first name is after a god of the Ute Indians whose name meant "Slayer of Alien Gods."
Marc is a kid who becomes a warrior. His name can be traced linguistically to the Roman god of war, Mars.

Blending the meaning of the character's name with their behavior can be fun and suggest ways to keep him/her in character as you write.

Rhyll
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:04 PM

I don't name my main characters until a good way into the book, sometimes even the second draft. I generally just refer to them by place holder initials like OB (older brother) or HN (helpful neighbour). The true name comes to me as I go along.

I do use a baby name book for the minor characters.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 5:58 PM

One of my characters in Flight of the Wren went by the nickname of Raven.   Later, I needed a real name for her.  Since she was Irish, I chose the surname Byrne.  It was only later that I discovered that the name Byrne means raven in Irish!  

When luck hands you such prizes, grab them and don't let go.    

Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 6:55 PM

And now for something completely different - I'm always curious about the images/photos people select for their profiles (sorry, I hate the term "avatar" for some reason). For Facebook, for example, I hardly ever use a photo of myself. The images vary from my doofus dog wearing sunglasses while sitting on a lawn chair, a gerbera daisy, a hawk that visits my inner city backyard every December, etc.

The image I posted here is from my 2009 trip to Italy - my first trip there. That photo was taken the night before our last night in Rome in the piano bar of our hotel. I had already been in Italy for 6 nights and had the worse case of insomnia. The combination of adrenaline and espresso got me through the trip!

So, what's the story behind your photo or profile image?

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:02 PM

Mine was originally a picture I took of myself to send to my husband in boot camp after I got a hair cut. I rarely have bangs that short since my hair grows so fast, so he enjoyed it. It turned out so good that I use it on every site I'm on. I don't believe that I was even wearing much make up. Maybe just my eyes. I can't hardly tell here.
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:29 PM

Like a lot of photographers I know, I have few pictures of myself (always on the wrong end of the camera!).  I didn't want to use an avatar or whatever, so I found a picture I had someone take the week before when I was on top of a mountain in the Adirondacks.  Cropped it down to just the face. Bright day, but cold with a strong wind, hence the hood. 
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 10:24 PM

LeeAnna, Tom - Love the stories behind the photos!

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:52 AM

My picture comes from Christmas 2010. My mother loves to get a picture of my sister and I to put in a Christmas album she has. But she likes to get them professionally done. The pictures where people are posed in front of the tree or by the fireplace? Doesn't like them. But my sister was very self conscious about being scene taking pictures as the place we go to has a wall of windows, allowing people in the mall to see inside. It had been a few years since we got "good" pictures taken and my mother hadn't let us forget it. We're Irish Catholic so guilt comes naturally.

My sister and I went out to get our pictures taken as a Christmas surprise. When we were caught coming home all dressed up by our parents, we lied and said we couldn't get an appointment. So my mom opted to settle on a picture of us in front of the tree, taken when we were still in our dresses and our hair was done up nicely. I cropped my sister and our Christmas tree out as I love the way the curls came out that day.

(And my mother was very surprised yet pleased when she opened the professionally done pictures on Christmas morning).
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:28 AM

Like Tom, I'm a photographer so I don't have that many pictures of myself around.  The avatar I'm currently using is a picture my husband grabbed of me as I was about to walk out the door.  A band I had shot in the past were performing again that night and they invited me out to dinner before the show.  I was really nervous and he was trying to get me to relax by goofing around.

Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:35 AM

Loving these stories!

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 12:33 PM

Hey, gang! Well, my picture is a painting I did a while back of a New England lighthouse. I can't believe it, but which one escapes my fried brain right now. Hmm... Not Brant Point. Oh well. Anyways, I usually don't like pictures of myself, so the painting seemed preferable! 
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 1:17 PM

Hi, Laura - Wow! I didn't realize that was a painting. It's beautiful. And I love the way it's composed.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 6:37 PM

My photo is of a book cover my brother made for me for Jenny's Love. I don't have a good pic of my on my computer. The only picture of me that I like is my senior picture.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2012 2:10 PM

Thanks, Angela! I love to paint. My preferred medium is acrylics. Tried water colors, but since I could never get them to look as good on paper as my grandfather did, I decided I needed to go my own way.
It looks peaceful... like the sun would be warm and feel so good - at least that's how I see it.

Jump to different Forum...