RSS Feed Print
Open Thread! Talk about pretty much anything here, folks!
Atthys Gage
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:45 PM

I once saw Stephen Dobyns at an author reading, and he mentioned that someone had made a film version of his book 'Cold Dog Soup'.  Asked what he thought of it, he said:  "It was like watching paint peel."
Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, March 6, 2012 11:52 PM

Stephen Dobyns! Now there is a writer and poet.

Church of the Dead Girls blew me away; showed me just how biting and hyper-intelligent and meaningful a well-plotted thriller could be.  

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:46 AM

If you will allow me to go back to Angela's question about writing the script if our future books were to be optioned for a film...

I took a course in screenwriting when I was in college. But I still wouldn't want to turn my own story into a script. I feel I'd be too close to the plot and to the characters. And when translating a book to the screen, you have to be cruel and critical--no matter how much the fans cry "foul."

I though would hope the screenwriter would work with me. As the author, I'd have information he or she would need while writing the script.

But otherwise, I'd take the money and request a thank you should the movie win an Oscar.

Atthys Gage
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 1:27 PM

Carl.  Too right.  During my bookstore days, I used to try to hand-sell Dobyns titles.  Usually I got skeptical looks, but I managed to convert a few.  I met him once.  Very unassuming, but pleasantly ironic.  A fabulous writer.  I'd have liked to have gotten to know him but it never happened.   
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:56 PM

I know I'm late to the party (as usual), but I wanted to comment anyways. Colleen, it was funny to get pirate comments from your proclamation, there, because me? I'm from New England and so I tawk like that... when I get lazy or drunk. So that's how I took that!
Personally, I can't write too much on paper. I'm a lefty and am ALWAYS smudging, so it's a pain in the ass more than anything. I am forever on the hunt for a truly smudgeless pen! Though I always carry a small notebook for things that pop into my head, I do my serious writing on a PC. 
If my novel was acquired for a movie - how exciting!!! - I would never attempt to write the screenplay. How painful. Toiling over the novel is enough for me. But I would want sign-off on that and would want to be a consultant, in the least, on the movie stuff. Maybe an executive producer. Yeah, in my fantasy world, that's how I see it going down.
Oh, and as another aside, those guys from Ghost Hunters are great. They're from my state and I actually got to go "hunting" with them one night, before they made it big. It was a blast, though I really didn't appreciate them making me stand in the corner of a dark, historic cemetery while they snapped pictures. 
I loved watching their show, before I had kids and started going to bed way too early to catch any truly good TV. But I like to watch Once Upon a Time online... when I have time. I'll also watch anything on HGTV and love Supernatural. As well as Peep and the Big, Wide World. Yep.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 4:00 PM

I've actually undertaken the practice of turning "Red Autumn" into a script for a thirty minute short for a screen writing class. What I came out with was way different than the original story I had written. You wouldn't recognize it if I put it up here. I ended up changing some of the ages, sibling dynamic, even the politics. I did. Not some hack. Am I ashamed of myself. Not really. My instructor still really liked it, even said it was good. Hell, I actually like it. Would I want it done with my novel, hell no. I wouldn't even undertake it. It's so incredibly hard.

Now the truth, I would take the money up front and run, run, run. Then I would hope the movie was decent enough for people to buy copies of my book, even though it would just be a pipe dream. If the screen writer wants to work with me, then I'll help, but he may not know what he got into.
Dennise Sleeper
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 10:14 AM
I've thought long and hard about my books as a movie and my conclusion is that, they know what they're doing and since we, the readers, know they're going to ruin the story with the movie, I'd take the money and run. I know nothing of how their industry works. I try really hard to look at the movie for the movie and not the story I know. Most of the time I fail and wonder what happened between the pages of the book and the script. My only requirement would be they have to keep the movies less than an 'R' rating.

I have written some books with certain actors in mind and when the book comes out, if that actor is still on my 'yeah, I'd still recommend this actor list', then I might make recommendations.

I also wanted to bring up video updates like Michael Underwood did at his post announcing his two book deal

http://bookcountry.com/Community/Discussions/Default.aspx?id=127924

and I didn't want to hijack his good news.

Anyway, our daughter, without knowing I had just watched Mr. Underwood's video, showed me a video update from D.J. MacHale and commented on how this was a good idea for me to consider.

She loves this author and apparently he's enjoyed her part as a fan. He reminded her when she commented on his video that he had used her name in his next series as promised. (she met him at a bookstore signing and he asked her permission to use her name) She hopes he doesn't kill her of quickly.

stephmcgee
Posted: Friday, March 9, 2012 11:37 AM

Dude. That's awesome to have an author ask permission to use your name as a character name. I hope she gets her wish, that the character gets to stick around for a little while.

It could be fun to try your hand at casting.  Well, it could for me.  I had one successful instance of casting a role in a movie (I called it a year before any casting was announced when the movie was still in rumor-mode).  That was a pretty cool moment.

Anyone watching Project Runway All-Stars?  Because I'd totally have Mondo make me a dress to wear if I got to go to the premiere of a movie made from one of my books.
Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, March 10, 2012 7:14 PM

Hi, folks - Lots of fun posts regarding when Hollywood comes knocking at our doors. . .

On to something else - I've been immersing myself in cultural events the last week or so: Van Gogh exhibit, Philadelphia Flower Show, and the Pennsylvania Ballet's performance of "The Messiah." The Van Gogh exhibit and "The Messiah" both moved me to tears. At Van Gogh, it happened while viewing the painting he did to celebrate the birth of his nephew and listening to the recorded guide notes. It was one of the last paintings he produced and I was overwhelmed by the beauty of the work, his seesawing emotional state, and the tragedy of his death at such a young age.

At "The Messiah," the tears welled up during the last scene, set to the "Amen." The exuberant dancers joyfully swirl about the stage with the resurrected Christ while the orchestra and choir reach their crescendo. But there is a bittersweet aspect as the lead dancer is lifted off the stage and ascends upward as the curtain closes.

What - whether it be a painting, a sculpture, a piece of music, a dance, a section in a book - has moved you to that degree?

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 2:28 PM

Angela - I find I'm inspired by natural occurrences: a full moon with a haze around it; watching plovers dance in the surf; my little girl's now-toothy grin. It's the little things. My grandfather's art was and is deeply inspiring to me. Though he never gained notoriety, I love his work. And I personally love it when music gives me goosebumps - even if it's in 90-degree weather! I will say that in terms of literature, I have always loved poetry, but one of my favorite books/authors, The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, gave me too many goosebump or "wow" moments to record here. That work, in my opinion, is moving. And it's one of the reasons I love to write.
Angela Martello
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 4:04 PM

Hi, Laura - I'll never forget the way I felt the first time I flew over a mountain range. Even from that great distance, the power and majesty of the mountains cannot be denied. Or the way I felt the first time I saw an umbrella pine in Rome. Yes, there is definitely awe-inspiring power in natural things. (And I'm a sucker for the pattern sunlight makes when it's streaming through lace curtains. So beautiful, so changing.)

Right now, I'm watching the shadows cast on the wall by the various birds at the birdfeeder right outside my backdoor (and listening to their chatter). And I had spent a couple of hours cleaning up the garden yesterday (it's a tiny little container garden in an urban setting) and marveled at how far along some of the plants are already.

Nature, music, art, well-turned phrases - so many sources of inspiration; so many sources of goosebumps!

Carl E Reed
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2012 10:26 PM

Numinous - adjective.

1. Of or pertaining to a http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=numen">numen; supernatural.
2. Filled with or characterized by a sense of a supernatural presence.
3. Inspiring awe and reverence; spiritual.

If you want to know what prickles the short hairs on the back of my neck while simultaneously causing my vision to blur with tears, watch this short film narrated by Neil DeGrasse on The Most Astounding Fact About the Universe. You will understand why religionists and mystics aren’t the only ones capable of feeling the icy, awe-inspiring hand of the numinous tracing their spine as they contemplate Cosmos and the Void.

And if this doesn’t move you—check your pulse. You may already be dead. Else so cognitively stunted, ideologically stupid and/or head-in-the-sand fundamentalist that no paradigm-shattering fact or cosmological revelation, whether poetic or scientific, can ever reach you.

Click here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html" target="_blank">http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/12/most-astounding-fact-universe-neil-degrasse-tyson_n_1339031.html

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 8:00 PM

Great video, Carl.

As another Carl put in many years ago:

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our
blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of
collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Carl Sagan,

Cosmos

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:53 PM

To be honest, Beauty and the Beast moves me to tears. I love all the Disney movies. 

Carl, I might try your dice thing with a twist. I'm going to put three pennies by a little cup. For every page I type, I'll put one in the cup. Hopefully, it will help me get my book typed up.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:14 PM

Literally investing in yourself. Love it!

PS. May I make a further suggestion? Allow the pennies (or nickels and dimes) to build up over time. Each day put those coins into a "Finished Writing/My Increasing Wealth" jar. When you're done with your book, empty the jar and treat yourself. Good luck! 
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 3:25 PM

good idea!

Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:28 PM

Then you'll have enough money saved up to spend on the postage you'll need for those agents and publishers who still insist on receiving hard copies of your manuscript via snail mail.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:09 PM

But now i'm faced with this: how to get the pennies?
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 1:19 PM

Pay with cash instead of plastic, and then save the change.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 2:29 PM

Rob Mommy's purse.

Just kidding! Put that cute little pink double-barrelled Derringer down . . .
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 4:39 PM

That would work, LeeAnna, if i had any money in the first place.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2012 6:14 PM

I know how you feel.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:41 AM

That's why I'm working hard on my books. I just got ripped a new one with Jenny's love. He made a good point though. So now I have to try and fix it without scrapping the whole thing. I'm a little sad, but I needed this to grow as an author.
Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, March 24, 2012 5:49 PM

Hi, Jessica - Don't be sad - or discouraged. I noticed that your book isn't on the site. Did you decide to pull it after the one review to work on it? Although one reviewer can certainly make some valid points, I would say leave the current version up while you work on the revision (maybe put a comment after the review to that effect) - especially since the purpose of this site is to put up your work in progress and, hopefully, get as much input as possible.

Good luck with your writing!

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:12 AM

I decided to rewrite the entire thing. I realize that I started in the middle of the story. 
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:22 PM

I agree, put your book back up and see what other reviews you get.  You can't base your writing on the critique of one person on one site.  A lot of the writers here don't have much more experience than you do, so keep that in mind when you get reviews.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:19 PM

Jessica: I second what Angela and Danielle are saying here. One review is one person's opinion. Get other opinions. Granted, there's no guarantee the f/u reviews will be any more helpful, accurate or relevant than that first review but I would never rewrite an entire story based upon one person's opinion. Unless, of course, you agree whole-heartedly with that first review, no hesitations or doubts. Getting "ripped a new one" doesn't sound like the spirit of BC to me; some of us would like to read that review and decide for ourselves whether or not your reviewer was unnecessarily harsh and off-base. In any event I would leave the story up while you work on the revision--other reviewers will have a chance to chime in that way, both on your story proper and the review itself. If that review is truly unhelpful and/or needlessly cruel we will have a chance to "thumbs-down" and comment on the review. (And if it is your story that needs to be worked on and improved--and I'm one who believes there are no perfect stories written by perfect writers, anywhere--than watching those critiques roll in and echo what your first reviewer said may give you more confidence that you are heading in the right direction with the re-write.)     

In the final analysis, however, you have to be happy with your work. Yours is the only opinion that truly counts. Don't let anybody railroad, browbeat or intimidate you into making changes simply to please them--unless, of course, you happen to agree with their opinion--or you could find yourself doing endless re-writes (chasing that elusive, impossible audience of "everybody likes me" that only exists in your head as you revise the story after each stongly-opinionated review to please your critic).  

Good luck with the rewrite!

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:58 PM

Carl, I read the review on her story before she pulled it and it seemed unduly harsh.

Jessica, if you put your book back up I'll review it and I'm sure other regular Book Country members will be happy to look at it too.

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2012 4:41 PM

Listen to Carl, Jessica - The man is wise.

And Danielle is right. Put the book back up. I'll be glad to take a look at it.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2012 2:20 PM

Jessica - Having received a few thorough critiques myself (though I don't think of them as harsh, just opportunities for me to grow as a writer), I also take them with a grain of salt. Like the others said, it's one person's opinion. Let others either echo the sentiment (hopefully in a more constructive way) or shed some new and interesting light on your work. This is a learning experience for everyone published here, so make the most of it! I'd be happy as well to provide some feedback.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 9:08 PM

Thank you all for the support. I figured out that i need to change a few things. I'll put it up by the end of the week. I want to add something to the beginning and it will change how the main character acts at first. as soon as I finish that part, I'll put the first chapter back up while I work on the others to make it flow together better.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:07 PM

Chapter 1 is up. Please R&R
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 4:54 AM

I promise to give a look. It's in my queue!
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 9:06 AM

Thank you
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:24 PM

Hello All,

Well here’s the other side of the coin – what do you do when you are about to write a review of a story that (and I’m being polite here!) makes your average fan-boy drivel look like Tolstoy, and then someone posts a glowing review (5-stars!) and simply gushes praise?  To be clear, I feel that the author is trying (how could they not be after writing over 100,000 words?), and maybe with some help could end up writing something worthwhile, and maybe even publishable.  Unfortunately, they have a plot that makes no sense, characters that exhibit multiple personality disorder (unintentionally), and continuity is a concept totally alien to them.  You know that if you try to point out the problems and give the story the 1-star it deserves the author will now think you are just a jerk.  My question – do you just walk away, or dive in and expect the worst? 

Tom

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:46 PM

Well, Tom, I think you should give an honest review. Both of the review I've gotten so far were only 1 star, but they helped me see stuff i normally wouldn't have notice. Sometimes it can be hard to be the barer of bad news, but it doesn't help anyone if you go easy on the author. I'm not very good at reviewing, but I do my best to tell the author what I thought and felt. I hope this helps you out.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2012 2:37 AM

I agree with Jessica, Tom. Frankly, while I secretly want people to gush over my writing, I know that it's better to be told if it's not working--and maybe suggestions on how to fix it. Yes, a one star review is going to hurt, but then it's up to the author how to react. If s/he takes it badly, it's on them, not you.
Jessica Crupe
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 7:36 PM

Here's a random question for everyone. Do you listen to music while you write. If so, what do you listen to?
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:31 PM

@Tom - Write the review you feel the book deserves. Holding back or, worse, writing something pleasantly dishonest doesn't help anyone. Writing your honest critique will help the author get better.

On how many stars... I tend to use a bell-curve star rating.
One - Oh, god, I hate you for making me read that.
Two - This needs work. A lot of work.
Three - Meh. Nothing to write home about, but it served its purpose.
Four - This is good stuff. Not great stuff, but good.
Five - Damn, man, I'm envious and want to write like you.

My personal scale, YMMV. I don't give out five stars very often, but I don't give out one stars often either.

@Jessica - Quite often. Honestly, as often as I can get away with it. Which music depends on what I'm writing and what I need at the moment to write what I'm writing.
Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:07 PM

Hi, Jessica - Yes, sometimes I listen to music. What I listen to depends on my mood and what type of scene I'm working on. And it generally has to be music without lyrics (if not, I have a tendency to start singing along, which pretty much disrupts the writing). Some of the stuff I listen to includes the soundtracks from the The Lord of the Rings movies, medieval music, some Enya.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 11:15 PM

I'm a country girl, but I love to listen to Simple Plan while I write. It gets me in a good mood.  I always listen to music. I sing with it sometimes, but it keeps me from getting bored and sleepy.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 3:53 AM

@Jessica: Well, there's two answers to that question! I write "The Wedding Game" in a notebook and then type it up when I finish a chapter. When I'm writing in the notebook, I'm usually watching TV shows on YouTube. I write more when I come to a part I'm not interested in.

As for music, I generally listen to cast albums from Broadway musicals and the group Celtic Thunder.
stephmcgee
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:27 PM

I put my iTunes/iPod on shuffle when I'm writing, depending on whether I'm writing the first draft or editing on my computer.  (I write the first draft longhand then work on the computer from there.)  I know 98% of the music on my iPod by heart so it doesn't disrupt my words and serves the purpose of killing the quiet.  However, I cannot write with the TV on.  Go figure.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 2:12 AM

@steph: I write with the TV on, though sometimes it's not so productive. I tend to get sucked into a program and when I turn back to my notebook to find an unfinished sentence, I usually think, "Oh crap, what was I going to say?"

I'd turn off the TV, but there are a few can't miss shows.

Jessica Crupe
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 12:12 PM

When I write in front of the tv, i write during commercials. It's not fast, so I only do it on lazy days. I do most of my writing in my room and I don't have a TV in it. It's quieter and there are less distractions.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 12:34 PM

I used to write to music, but not so much anymore since I graduated college. Now I sit my typewriter on our reasonably tall coffee table and work their. Writing on it keeps me distracted enough not to notice how quiet it is when my husband is at work. If he's home, then I have some video game in the background. That can get distracting if the game is particularly cinematic with a good story. Or if it's a fighting game. Then my typewriter will sit forgotten for two days as I trade it for a controller. I swear that I haven't done that recently.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 1:30 PM

@ Robert - I really enjoyed that bell curve of yours, and actually, I think I'm going to use that. For the most part, I already use the star rating much the same way.
@Jessica - I can't listen to music while I write for some reason. See, I like to sing along, so any of my faves just won't work, and I haven't yet found instrumental or classical that fits the mood of my writing. Also, I tend to lose my train of thought if there's any interference up in my grey matter, so music, unfortunately, counts. Can anyone recommend some powerful classical or instrumental for me? Who knows. Maybe it'll help.
stephmcgee
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 8:32 PM

@ Alexandra I write in the mornings since I only work part-time right now.  Evenings are a no-go as I do watch more TV than I ought.  I sometimes will write in bed with my iPod in before turning in for the night, though.
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:27 AM

@steph: I am not a morning person. As I'm job hunting now, I mostly can stay up late into the night. I get more writing done then when the late night programming is more background noise than anything else.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:14 PM

I'm not a morning person either, but I don't have to be in to work until noon so it leaves mornings open.

Jump to different Forum...