RSS Feed Print
Omnicreative pursuits?
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:05 AM

Hi everyone! I've been noticing a lot of writer friends who are also artists in other areas, such as music, painting, sculpture, and design, and I was wondering how many of the Betafish were, too.

I was an artist first, and only started writing a couple of years ago. Occasionally, my artsy muse takes over and all I can think about is designing projects. Unfortunately, she shoves my Adonis-like writing muse out when she invades. It's frustrating when I have nothing to actually design for, but still can't manage to write. 

Do any of you get (writer's) blocked by other creative endeavors?

x♥x

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 1:48 PM

My Puck-like coding muse comes out of hiding randomly and inspires me to code applications that have no other use than to make me laugh.

I play the piano and guitar, but with two small children I get about two minutes of playing in before they want to 'help'. That muse is still sulking in the basement somewhere waiting for the kids to start school full time.
stephmcgee
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:39 PM

I have no other talents. It was writing oro nothing creative at all.
Victoria L White
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:43 PM
Not really an art, but I have a lot of side coding/website projects that tend to eat up my time. Currently trying to get a massive convention-related site rebuild done for May so I can get back to serious writing time.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:37 PM

Also a coder/webmonkey. I get blocked on figuring out how to do things, make them look. I do a little drawing now and then, not well, but ive never been blocked on WHAT to draw, just my skills aren't up to making it happen.

I also whittle and do some impressionistic/shamanistic wood carvings. I have had many times where I've had knife in hand, fresh chunk of wood in front of me, and just blanked. no idea what to do.

NoellePierce
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:07 PM

Danielle - I'm laughing at the image of a muse sulking in the basement. I feel the same way when I settle in to cook a big meal. My 5-year-old decides she wants to help and I have to decide whether I want to clean up a massive mess! LOL

Steph - what about dancing? Knitting? Papier-mache-ing? I'm just joking, of course. Writing alone takes a lot out of us. I consider you lucky in that you don't have those other pesky muses bothering you.

Victoria and Alexander - Ooh...coding. I've never been able to wrap my head around coding. Of course, my memory isn't what it used to be, either. Before I had kids, it was a steel trap. Now, on the other hand,

...what was I saying? I like designing websites, too, but I prefer the click and drag programs to do it. Less of the technical stuff. I pretend to know something about CSS, but it's really just jibberish to me.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2011 5:03 PM

noelle, css html and php i can handle. REAL coding, perl, c, java, ect... I can read it and with a guide in hand, understand what its supposed to do. I cant write it to save my life.
Jessie Kwak
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2011 5:28 PM

I love to both sew and cook. I find after a long day of writing it's so relaxing to turn that part of my brain off and lose myself in making a four-course ravioli dinner, or designing a new dress for myself.

You talk about getting "writer blocked" by other creative endeavors--I sew and sell punk-ish baby clothes, and sometimes I find that taking over my writing time. Or I'll be stuck in a story and all I can think of is a new pattern I've been dying to try....

Lately, though, I've been so inspired to write that I've been neglecting the baby clothes sewing. I only have one order right now, so it's not that big of deal, but it *is* the only one of my two major hobbies that currently pays me.
NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:20 PM

Haha...Jessie, I'm waiting for the writing inspiration to return. Maybe this week, while I have Spring Break.

Four-course ravioli dinner? Do tell...*drool*
CarrieM
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:23 PM

I do photography when I feel inspired and I love to cook and bake. I used to write poetry occasionally, but I haven't done that in a long time. Sometimes I wish I had the patience to learn coding, but I don't. I also can't draw to save my life...
Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2011 9:30 PM

I'm wrote songs for established musicians for years, and when I decided to write novels as a side project I learned quickly that couldn't do both at the same time. The creative juices (and not to mention time) get used up on one and the other gets left out like the poor kid no one wants on their team.

Since I loved writing stories more, I gave up songwriting. Kinda. Whereas then I was a professional, full time songwriter, now songwriting is the side project that I rarely have any time for. Every now and then a tune will flow through my head and I'll write some lyrics.

There's probably a balance I could find between the two though arts. I just haven't sought it out.
cameronchapman
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 5:38 PM

I do a little bit of everything.

I do some coding and web design (and print design). I design and make jewelry (or I did, haven't had much time in the past couple years to do that). I sew (again, no time, but I'm pretty sure I still remember how). I've been trying to get into needle-felting.

I love photography (and am trying to create a new genre: photos-taken-through-the-car-window-with-a-husband-who-doesn't-want-to-slow-down-or-stop-so-I-can-take-a-photo).

Next big creative project planned is filmmaking (I already do screenwriting). I have a couple of scripts I'm working on and want to try my hand at producing and directing an indie film (or two). Something I've wanted to do since junior high, and I'm now at a point in my life where I'm like, "you know what? I'm an adult and if I want to make a movie, then dammit I can make a movie." Now all I have to figure out is if I can make a *good*, *coherent* movie...
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 7:47 PM

I love photography, too, but haven't had the cash to get a DSLR yet. Maybe for Christmas...

Cameron - I totally hear you with the new genre of photography! My husband does the same thing, and my "camera" is my iPod. Don't have time to get the PowerShot out. Sigh.

Michael - that sounds really interesting! Any songs we know?
Michael L Martin Jr
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 8:37 PM

@cameron - Make that movie like the adult you are! lol I always wanted to try my hand at scriptwriting. I was just never sure when to take the time to learn something new all over again.

@Noelle - I've sat in on studio sessions with well known artists more than I have actual credits, but I served as co-writer/co-producer on Ashlee Simpson - Out of My Head and will.i.am - Heartbreaker as part of a team of writers/producers called Grinehouse.
stephmcgee
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:27 PM

I enjoy photography. I took a photography class a year ago, using a film camera. Wish I had a darkroom of my own. Or money for a DSLR.
Amy Sterling
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 1:18 AM

For many years, I didn't tell many people I was an artist, while working on commercial projects almost all the time.

I don't get "blocked" by doing artwork. I think it enriches things and I adore everyone is creative. Steph, hang in there, I hope you get the camera you want soon
LisaMarie
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:45 AM

Aside from writing, my free time is allocated to kickboxing or yoga. I used to spar back in the day -- now I just hit the bags, because after X-many years of that stuff, my hips and knees got seriously torqued.

I show purebred cats, which is ... semi-creative if you consider dreaming up clever, eye-catching benching area themes. I trained as a classical pianist and still play for the heck of it.

That's about as far as I go these days in the creativity department. Which is not much, aside from writing. Because I also have to do it for a living, it feels like it sucks away at my soul sometimes.

::sigh::
Mahesh Raj Mohan
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 6:58 AM
I like the word "omnicreative." Sounds very science-fictional. Not surprised to see so many multi-talented folks here. I've played the guitar, on-and-off, since about 2001. I like to call myself a "C-plus rhythm guitarist." lol.

When I practiced the guitar regularly, I found that I didn't write as much and vice versa. Not sure what is up with that!
Julie Rossignol
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:01 PM

I'm a hobbie junkie, so absolutely. For the past few weeks I've been on a baking rampage and I've been furiously trying to learn the violin, and practicing my piano more than usual. Before that I was on a martial arts kick.

It's my music hobby that blocks me more than anything. Actually, block probably isn't the right word. It's just that I crave the music more than I do the words right now. I think writing takes a good balance of the orderly left side of the brain and the wild right side of the brain, and I guess the left side of my brain needed a break. So I threw myself into music for awhile, but the pendulum is starting to swing the other way.

I know I could be writing a lot more and finishing my writing projects sooner if I were more singularly focused on my writing, but I figure that life is short and you only get one, so I'd be doing a disservice to myself by not trying to do everything I love.
Jessie Kwak
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2011 3:46 AM

Julie, I love the idea of being a hobby junkie. I've been...blessed?...in that I've moved around a lot in the past ten years and haven't had any opportunity to store up all the "etc." that you need for all the hobbies I've wanted to try. It's kept me focused, but now that we've settled down I'm getting antsy to try new things. My husband keeps checking me--"You keep complaining that you don't have enough time to do the dozens of things you already do. Should you really be taking up cheesmaking?"

Maybe not. But life is short, right?
Keegs
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:04 AM

My writing muse usually takes over my other interests, mainly video and music, which are inbred cousins with writing anyway. I also find that practicing other forms of art, like playing with the band, releases more of my creativity. The stimulation of improvisation in those other crafts also seems to spark more writing mojo as well. I guess I usually find that more practice in one engages the practice of the others.
JamieWyman
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:00 PM

I started telling stories about the same time I became interested in music. I am a trained percussionist, band geek and all around music dork. I composed music for a time, too. I also did choir and drama in high school.

Another of my artistic pursuits: fire arts. I spin fire poi and do fire eating a little.

To me, writing, drumming and poi spinning are all connected to my underlying love of rhythm.

I don't get blocked by one pursuit over another. I tend to go through phases where I'm more focused on one than another. As I don't do much drumming any more and poi spinning is something I do to relax...writing is at the fore.

It works out
NoellePierce
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2011 9:33 PM

@LisaMarie - I haven't tried kickboxing yet (I am seriously out of shape), but I've been doing yoga regularly since January and loving it. I can *almost* touch my toes! I'm just kidding. I can touch my toes a little...

Wow, there are lots of musicians in here! I used to take piano, but didn't like practicing it enough and quit. I was 7 or 8 years old, but it is a theme in my life. My first novel was really the first "hobby" I finished, or at least the one that I kept going at. My other hobbies have fallen by the wayside. I think writing is going to stick. I'm finally out of the need-to-play-with-Photoshop phase again and writing.

@Jamie - I ♥♥♥ the drums. They're my favorite instrument. Don't know that I would have the coordination for it, but I love listening to them. Oh, the drum corps in marching bands... *swoon*. Eventually, I'll get to the Battle of the Bands in Atlanta, since I live here. One of my favorite YouTube videos is a drum battle between the lead singer and the drummer of Godsmack.
theunrealme
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 11:22 AM

The only other art in which i some times engage would have to be photography. Although I have dabbled extensively in graphic arts as well. I rarely find that one form of inspiration oppress or holds back another, rather my inspiration comes in waves, waves which if caught at the right time can be funneled into which ever creative pursuit I happen to be on at the time. I some times find these waves of creative energy inducible but only if they have reached a certain stage of development. thanks for asking these questions, as they caused me to analyze my own creative process. Something which I have done a little in the past, but never put into words.
Joanna Stephen Ward
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 1:10 PM

Good thread.

I wanted to be an opera singer. I went to opera school for 3 years, but I wasn't good enough to make it. I still love opera and most classical music and listen to CD's when I write.

NoellePierce
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:02 PM

@unreal - That's an interesting way to look at things. I think I also have waves, though I can't channel it into whatever I want. For the moment, my wave has completely ebbed and I don't want to do graphics, writing, or anything else. LOL

@Joanna - I recognized you from another site! I never knew you wanted to be an opera singer! Very cool. I'll be there's a lot of fodder there for story ideas.
Danielle Poiesz
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 9:27 PM
Wow! I'm impressed by all the talent here! And a little chagrined to say that I'm kind of "decent" at most things but not "outstanding" at much LOL I do, however, adore photography, cooking, music (I'm learning guitar and can play the flute), and a variety of other things.

One of the "other things" I've been doing lately is tarot card reading...it may sound a little odd but I love it. It's inspiring and spiritual in a way I can't seem to find through other means. In fact, I may need to do a reading tonight...hmmm what to ask!?
Danielle Bowers
Posted: Sunday, May 8, 2011 10:13 PM

We should start a Betafish Band.

Danielle, what kind of deck do you use?
NoellePierce
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 1:49 AM

@Danielle - word on the street is that you're more than "decent" at the cooking thing. There's a few of us talking about showing up in NY and not leaving without some sort of baked goods.

I've had a couple of tarot readings done online by some friends, and I'm always amazed at how on-point they are for my current situation. One was angel cards (I don't know more than that, unfortunately), but it was freakishly accurate.
Alex Hollingshead
Posted: Monday, May 9, 2011 11:07 PM

The urge to cook has drove me away from my laptop on more than one occasion, but as long as I write just after I've eaten (and eat before my fiance gets home), I can generally just schedule writing time in when I know I won't want or need to cook.
Jason Rice
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:44 PM

Just sit down and write. Eventually something will come out. Good or bad. As long as something comes out. Nothing ever gets written if you're not sitting at the keyboard.
Trailer Bride
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 6:54 PM

I've given up making music but the quest for the perfect mix tape consumes me. I also get distracted by making "promo" Youtubes for my book, and by shaping the youth of the nation. Also known as my daughter.
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:02 PM

Jason - were you on Authonomy? Your face and name look familiar.

I agree, and find that if I sit down to write with Write or Die on Kamikaze mode (where it'll eat your words if you pause too long), the words start to flow again. It's that darn motivation to actually open the program, though. haha

Trailer Bride - Oh, I have the same problem with playlists. I've stopped making trailers for my books, but book covers are still an issue. lol
L R Waterbury
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:54 PM

I am a photographer by trade and so when I have work to do for a client, obviously writing falls to the wayside so I can meet my deadlines. But I have my own personal photography project that competes for time with my writing and my work on the illustrations for a children's book (I wrote it too, but the illustrations are taking way longer). I also tend to be the kind of person who binges. So, I'll binge on photography for a while and forsake everything else and then switch to writing. I guess that means my muses don't like each other enough to hang out together. However, like in all good rivalries they do spur each other on. I sometimes find that I'll do something I think came out really well and then wonder, "Hey, what about that other thing? Maybe I can make it better too." Of course, when I switch back again I face the inevitable, "Oh, that was crap. What was I thinking?"

Also, my personal photography project is mostly an outdoors endeavor, so it tends to hibernate during winter. Manipulating a camera with heavy gloves on is not an easy task. I wish that translated into a seasonal writing/photography schedule, but it doesn't. My muses don't cooperate with me.
NoellePierce
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:13 PM

Dawn and KS - My husband doesn't understand how I can jump between all my creative hobbies! LOL I remember doing beading one Christmas and made a ton of glass ornament "jackets" which I gave away as presents. I may have to bring those up from the basement when the kids are old enough that they won't choke.

I wish I sewed more. My grandmother used to make me sit and learn when I was younger, but without practice...I don't think I can even sew a straight line. With a sewing machine!
NoellePierce
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 12:48 AM

Mine looked almost like this, but different colors (I didn't experiment much with the design. I was a mass-producer. ).

http://static.artfire.com/admin/product_images/thumbs/--30000--5140_product_1202629249_thumb_large.jpg

I love them! One of these days, I'll make more.
MR Nelson
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 9:43 PM

I have been a musician from a very early age. Unfortunately, my music studio has been far less frequented than my keyboard lately. Music has, however, played an integral part of my writing. When I write I listen to music. When I am outlining in my head, I listen to music. I will have specific songs or groups that act as a soundtrack to whatever story I am working on, which will help the overall mood as I play the plot out in my head like a movie.
Lucy Silag
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:47 PM

Any other knitters out there? It's my fave creative pursuit besides writing and making spreadsheets.
Angela Martello
Posted: Thursday, April 3, 2014 8:26 PM

No knitting, but tile-making, mosaics, jewelry-making, painting (just picked it up again after more than 30 years!), and singing in a choir.
Perry
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 11:17 AM

In my day job I often deal with people in adversarial situations, and it's draining because with a Meyers-Briggs type of I-I-I-I, I'm almost a hermit by nature and ready after work to spend time away from people.

My "art" might be considered a craft by some, and that's okay with me. I fish for trout in streams with artificial flies, and one of my related arts or crafts is to tie trout flies. Some people who use them say they catch fish, but I've met some guys who have my flies and won't use them because they've been told that my flies are collector's items. I also carve wood fishing rods and sell a few, and the buyers tell me they don't want to use them, they want them to hang over the fireplace.

My other "art" is to play with driving horses, and our black horse and our red horse have learned a few things from me and I've learned plenty from them about driving with a two wheeled cart, or in the winter, an antique Portland Cutter. Is it an art to work within the physical and mental limits of an animal like a horse and create a satisfying result with no one getting hurt? Maybe, or maybe not.

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 4:16 PM

Hi, Perry - I once went with my brother to a sporting goods store so that he could buy some materials to make fishing lures. I was amazed (and a bit overwhelmed) at all the choices! I told him that he would probably feel the same way if he came with me to a bead store. He gave me a brief lesson in designing lures to attract different types of fish (I admit, I know NOTHING about fishing). Sounds like a pretty creative endeavor to me.
Rob Emery
Posted: Friday, April 4, 2014 5:33 PM

I was a budding artist in high school. I took all of the fine arts I could get for three and a half years. silver smithing, water color, you name it.  One day substitute English teacher tossed out a 'write anything you want' challenge to the class to fill our time and I got A's on everything I did.  So there it was, another kind of artist lay within who worked in word pictures.  I went into sign painting and graphic arts to dress up the signs long before computers streamlined the industry. In later years the word smith artist kept wanting to get out and graphic arts went by the wayside for other careers.  I started really writing with the advent of the word processor, mostly for my own enjoyment. If you are locked to a desk all day what better way to get away than to take mind trips on the word processor. It was my business and my desk so why not. All of us who are inclined toward the arts usually have a dominant outlet. If not then we must make room and time for the artist who is screaming loudest.

Jump to different Forum...