RSS Feed Print
Books you've read in August
DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 7:00 PM

Hello there!

Aside from my writing and doing feedback here and with a local writer group, I try to read two books a month.  I know that seems a little light, but it's a goal I seem to be able to keep more or less.  This month I finished reading 'Beautiful Stranger' by Christina Lauren and also got in the two short works 'Beautiful Bitch' and 'Beautiful Bombshell' -- Erotica-Romance. So very good.   And I'm working on finishing all the Liaden books by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller -- I am almost done with Scout's Progress.  Also really really good. (I can't believe I never even knew about these books before and they've been working on this series since like...1988?  Geesh!)

Anyway, what are you all reading? Do you try to read several books a month?  Do you keep to one genera or branch out?  For several years I didn't do much reading at all, maybe four books a year, so this feels like a huge improvement.   Anyone else feel the challenge to keep up to date on reading?  Or do I struggle because I'm bouncing around between genera?

Are you reading through something good or just trying to make time for something yummy? 

-DRW-

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 11:02 PM

I've read The Rancher's Promise by Jillian Hart and am finishing Look-Alike Lawman by Glynna Kaye.

So . . . that chalks it up to two novels this month, too

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 3:15 PM

Hello ladies!

Diana--I'm planning on reading BEAUTIFUL BASTARD soon--I have heard such awesome stuff about Christina Lauren! I haven't heard of the Liaden books--are those fantasy?

THE RANCHER'S PROMISE sounds swooooooooooooooooon worthy, Amber!

I'm ready a *very* literary novel called MUSE right now, as well as the classic grammar book EATS, SHOOTS & LEAVES. Both are enjoyable enough. I'm listening to an audiobook on my commute that is more engaging--it's called THE AFTERMATH by Rhidian Brook.

This week I am planning to read samples of some new work up on Book Country. Looking forward to it!

DianaRoseWilson
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2015 11:19 PM

Lucy -- The Liaden books are Sci-Fi with a Regency-like romance.  They are amazing.  There's magic and space ships and awesome.  It's like candy they just get better through the series.  

This is a great way to find out about other books to check out.  

digsblues
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 12:38 AM

Hello, all. I just joined today, and want to mention the book I just finished - A MANUAL FOR CLEANING WOMEN, by Lucia Berlin. It's a collection of short stories that had me mesmerized for two days. If you love shorts, I urge you to read it. 

The author is not well known, at least by me, but her stories are wonderful. They're about about the things that everyone is thinking, but no one dares to say out loud: abortion, funerals, working in the emergency room, affairs with married men, dying and cancer, addiction, and being a cleaning lady.

Highly recommended.

GCleare
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 10:48 PM

I'm reading The Beekeepers Ball by Susan Wiggs.

Set in California, Digs. Have you read it?

digsblues
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 4:58 PM

GCleare wrote:

I'm reading The Beekeepers Ball by Susan Wiggs.

Set in California, Digs. Have you read it?

No, but it looks like I would like it. 

I just finished http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Cleaning-Women-Selected-Stories-ebook/dp/B00SS9SN2W/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440190517&sr=1-1&keywords=a+manual+for+cleaning+women. 

It's is a wonderful book of short stories, so fresh and different. The author raised 3 boys by herself, worked at different jobs and traveled the world. The characters in her book tell their stories and somehow it all comes together, almost like reading a novel. The stories are about things that everyone is thinking, but no one dares to say out loud: abortion, funerals, working in the emergency room, affairs with married men, dying and cancer, addiction, and being a cleaning lady.

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:57 PM

@digs--I definitely want to read the Lucia Berlin book!Also have EILEEN by Otessa Moshfegh in my TBR pile.

I'm also reading a nonfiction book called YEAR ZERO by Ian Buruma, and last night I read the first story in Alice Munro's DEAR LIFE.

Jump to different Forum...