RSS Feed Print
Looking for a good space opera recommendation!
Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 12:51 PM

Hi folks, I realized that my experience with space opera is quite flimsy, so I am looking for a really good book to get me excited about the genre. More recent stuff (past 20 years) is preferable. Thank you so much!!!
Timothy Maguire
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 6:37 PM

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest On Basilisk Station, Crown of Slaves or His Majesty's Starship. The first two are both in David Weber's Honorverse, with Basilisk being the first in the series and Slaves being a side-story that stands alone in hilarious fashion.

The last one's a personal favourite, probably mostly due to it being one of the few novels with a british-crewed ship. I'm probably biased.

Wolf DeVoon
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2013 10:57 AM

Space opera, as in musical comedy?

But I think you meant a novel set in outer space. Mars Shall Thunder

"Satisfying tapestry of space thriller, love story, and thought-provoking observations on the human condition and its systems."- Sunni Maravillosa

"Magnificently realised, both in the description of the setting and in the politics and intrigue that go on there. Dialogue and interaction of the characters is gripping, the action scenes marvellously portrayed."
 - Samuel Z. Jones

Nevena Georgieva
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:52 AM

Thanks, Tim. David Weber it is!
Eric Nelson
Posted: Sunday, October 6, 2013 8:25 AM

After you're done with David Weber, I would recommend the Culture series by Iain M. Banks.  It doesn't have a continuing cast of characters, largely because the galactic culture itself is the real main character.   The exception is some of the quirky AI ships that do make occasional recurring appearances.  The stories are fun, the scope (in time and space) is immense, the beings and places are imaginative, nuanced and richly textured and the language a pleasure to read.  Some of the titles are, Excession, The Player of Games, Consider Phlebas (yes, an Eliot reference), The Use of Weapons, etc.  Sadly, Iain Banks did pass away earlier this year.

Jump to different Forum...