RSS Feed Print
Where is everyone? Speak up, you guys!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2012 9:00 PM

I see that we now have close to 5000 members, and yet I see the same faces in the discussions, the usual suspects.

Not that they're not intelligent and wonderfully informative and I don't perk up immediately and swoop down on them like a hungry hawk on a vulnerable chick when I see their names, (for I know I'm going to be pleased with what they have to say) but, surely the rest of you folks have valuable insights also.

Maybe we all have our favorite topics. Maybe that's it. I zero in on The Craft of Writing and, particularly, General Writing Challenges. And anything by Carl Reed. I think we'll all agree on that, right?

I'm going to broaden my search, to see what I'm missing.

How about you?

Atthys Gage
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:44 AM

I'd chime in but I'm definitely one of the same old faces.  
Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 9:41 AM

Usual suspect number 27  here: I was toying with the idea of starting a thread entitled "Help! I'm addicted to Book Country!"

Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 1:35 PM

Angela,

I feel the same way. Another thread (that I believe would attract a lot of interest) should be: Damn! Poking around on Book Country is too easy a way to avoid working on my book.

Rachel Russell
Posted: Sunday, April 1, 2012 11:13 PM

I've been sort of wondering where all the folks were hiding at as well.

I was growing concerned that perhaps I smelled. My perfume says I smell like "pure seduction" though, so that can't be it.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Monday, April 2, 2012 2:01 AM

Where is everybody? Two possiblities come to mind:

1. The Same-Olds are so brilliant, they intimidate everyone else.
2. The silent majority are nose-to-the-grindstone serious, too focused to chit-chat. We're the goof-offs. (But isn't it fun?)

GD Deckard
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:49 PM

LOL Mimi, "Damn! Poking around on Book Country is too easy a way to avoid working on my book." Yup, I've done that.

It could be many just read the site to learn from others' experiences, or this could all be Carl E. Reed's fault, or perhaps some just want to post a book here without joining in the forums.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:22 PM

Heh-heh! Sure, throw me under the bus, GD. God knows I deserve it!

::sigh:::

I'm as addicted as anyone. I just told Tom W. the other day that he'd be hearing a lot less from me and then what did I do? Devoted hours last night, in between my reading and writing, to scritch-scribbling here on BC. BUT--w/o Book Country to serve as an outlet for excess writing energy, focused discussion and free-wheeling inspiration--would I be writing at all? Or as much? Truthfully, I don't think so . . .

So thanks, ya'll! Ya'll beaut-full peoples, one-and-all ya'lls!

Robert C Roman
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:10 PM

Maybe they're all just shy?
Tom Wolosz
Posted: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:01 PM

Well, it's either this or do my taxes.

What else is on your mind?

Tom
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:32 AM

Well, my taxes have long been done (woo-hoo!), and I'm not sure if I'm now considered one of the usual suspects, since I'm still pretty new here, but I try very hard to be visible within the confines of my workday and evenings at home with a little one. I'm finding it difficult to balance the discussions, reading and reviewing, and working on my own WIPs. Not enough time in the day!! And each time I get a constructive review, it takes everything I have to not drop my JOB WORK and work on my book. Damn 9-5. Grrr... But I am here, everyone.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:43 AM

Yay! Laura's in da house . . .
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 10:18 AM

Hi, Laura - you are rapidly becoming one of the usual suspects.

My taxes have been done, too - for a long, long, long time. And the return has already been spent or earmarked for something.

And if our Global Helpdesk doesn't hurry up and fix my Java problem here at work, I'll be spending my day flitting around BC (beats staring at my cubicle walls or out the window at the uninspired center city architecture).

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:06 AM

Hi, Carl and Angela! And the rest of you, of course, but I had to reply to the shout-outs. It makes me happy that Angela has labeled me as a "rapidly-becoming" usual suspect. When our server went down momentarily here at the office, I panicked. Not because all of my emails were now stuck in outbox hell, and not because I couldn't access our web site, or not because I could no longer tweet (my agency has a new twitter account and this is all sorts of cool), but because I'd be unable to chat with you all on BC! Thank goodness we're back up and running! Phew!
Angela Martello
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:20 AM

Well, my Java issue has been resolved, so it's back to the day job.

LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 12:51 PM

I'm definitely one of the mouthy usuals. I too poke around here to avoid working on my book and the myriad of short stories I have lying around half finished. I know I like this site way too much when I devote 90% of my internet time to this site and about ten percent to everything else. I'm on here more than I post on my blog. (I should really work on that.) And then there is Facebook and Twitter, which I glance at and move on. I believe it is because I find more kindred spirits here than as a military wife or a young 20 something.

Yup, definitely a goof-off writer. De-definitely.
GD Deckard
Posted: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:18 PM

Oh! Excellent point, LeeAnna: "I find more kindred spirits here," says it all. I can find people to read & critique my book but here there is a connection.

Well put!

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:15 PM

Okay, I've got an inquiry for you "usual suspects" and new ones. How long does it typically take for a book here on BC to get circulated and start to pick up reviews? I ask because many of you have been here long enough to possibly have witnessed and made note of these trends. And I'm curious as to what the ebb and flow of this site is in terms of exposure. As always, many thanks.
Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:19 PM

Anywhere from 2-6 weeks, I've found--though after that first review you might find yourself waiting another month or two for f/u reviews.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:00 PM

Okay, thanks for the input, Carl.
Maybe it's just a case of my works sucking. Haha. It's a good thing I don't take any of this to heart.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:51 PM

Laura,

You are doing the right thing by joining in the chat. This is how I choose which books to review, by the voice on display in the discussions. 

I look for people who have something of substance to say, and a bit of style in the saying. You can bet I'm not beguiled by comments on topics like, What music do you listen to while you write, and why? (I made that up, I hope it's not actually a thread.)

Everyone who worries about star ratings, take note. I choose my reviews without a peek at stars. And if I bop over to the book in question to check it out, a one-star does not deter me. Not in the least. I frequently find myself at odds with previous reviewers.

I'm putting you on my to be reviewed list. There are three or four ahead of you, but you'll be hearing from me presently.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:07 PM

I do appreciate it, Mimi. I absolutely believe in the whole "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours," especially here where we all need peer reviews, so I will put your work on my list as well. And I hope there are others like you out there who aren't put off by a one or two-star rating, since I think it would be unfair to judge based solely on that. Even if you do end up agreeing with them.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:10 PM

And I must apologize for my slip into self-pity back there. I'm having a tough day. Just heard that a mentor and colleague of mine passed away. Disregard that, please. I am, forevermore, a boatload of appropriately-restrained sunshine.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:50 PM

Laura,

This is a wonderful site. You can talk about anything here but, thankfully, the chat tends not to echo what I encountered on another site, Can Werewolves Fall in Love? Yikes!

Everyone has their rough moments here and, I believe, everyone recovers, if they stick with it.

I see that there's discussion on Authomony, but I haven't really investigated it. My first impression is that it doesn't come close to what we have on Book Country.  

There are a bunch of extraordinary, smart and supportive, and funny, people here. But I guess that you know that already.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 8:08 PM

Laura, I would have reviewed you already, except that I'm currently working my way through Angela and GD's novels first, chapter by chapter. (Btw: a poorly-written book is easy to review; there's no end of criticisms to make or problems to call attention to. But a book written with some degree of authorial skill, that demonstrates partial or intermittent control of craft, well . . . that's a much harder review to write. Just sayin' . . .)

A further thought: Every day you're writing and reading, you're improving. Guaranteed. The more you read and write, the faster you'll improve. Neural pathways are shaped and strengthened by cognitive effort in much the same way a weight-lifter builds muscle mass: through repetition, discipline and mindful focus on proper form. While you're waiting for those reviews to roll in (i.e., validate you as a writer) understand that you're giving power to a false god: the opinions of others. I'm not talking about improving your writing by minding the helpful, on-target criticisms of talented reviewers but rather the importance of seeing and believing in yourself as a successful, functional writer right now, regardless of who validates you or not. And that’s not just my opinion but the opinion of every named writer I can think of who’s written a book on writing for writers in the last thirty years.

And please don't feel bad about confessing to a moment of insecurity or doubt about your talents; every writer worth his or her salt feels (or has felt) the same way. Every good, honest, decent writer, that is—regardless of their amateur, semi-pro or professional status. The other kind? They've just learned to hide it better: via retreats into Sphinx-like or sullen silence, raving ego-maniacal pronouncements about how great and grand their prose is, feigned indifference to the opinions of others, false-note confessions that they’re really only writing so as to provoke their ideological/artistic enemies into attacking them for their own perverse amusement.

Here’s another thing I fiercely, absolutely believe with heart, mind and soul: It’s not about receiving gold trophies, crowns or stars. That’s just adults “playing school” with each other—remember? “You be the student now and I’ll be the teacher; write ten sentences with zebras and giraffes in them.” (Or something equally as arbitrary.) “Yay! You did it! Here’s your gold star. Okay; my turn now—you tell me what to write and then give me the gold star.”

No, the real reward to be found in reading and writing (assuming you’re not simply regurgitating dogma and cant, or reading like some narrow-minded zealot merely to confirm your own prejudices) is the richer train of associations the world will have for you. Life should have deeper meaning, import and impact; you should feel the fragility and the sacredness of your existence—and the existences of others—with far keener insight, pity and understanding. Your highs will be higher, your lows lower, because you’ve come to a better, fuller appreciation and understanding of what is. Every unexpected act of kindness, decency and pity should therefore move you to tears and damn near unhinge you, because you can now see these acts for what they are: Life spitting in the face of Death, Good confronting Evil, Dignity and Decency refusing to knuckle under to Indignity and Debasement.

I got up on my damn soapbox again but I’m going to let Hemingway have the last words:

—We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

—If you have a success you have it for the wrong reasons. If you become popular it is always because of the worst aspects of your work.

PS. I'm going to read this tomorrow and see ten ways I could have made this better; find ten mistakes I wish I could correct. So no, you're not the only one to experience a moment of chagrined doubt and regret over something you've written. Occupational hazard, heh! 

Tom Wolosz
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:44 PM

Bravo Carl!  Well said!
Atthys Gage
Posted: Thursday, April 5, 2012 11:31 PM

Right on, Carl!  Cants and Dogmas:  I'm allergic to both. 
Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 3:33 AM

@Laura: Point of clarification to my post above: I was refering to your book there, not GD's or Angela's. (See, this is one of those "ten-things-in-retrospect-I-wish-I-had-expressed-better". Nine more to go . . .) There's a lot to like in your writing and, as with all of us, a couple of things you might do a bit better, eh? And no doubt are already working on.

What I was trying to suggest in yesterday's post (among other things) is that I wouldn't assume people are avoiding reading and critiquing you because your writing is awful. Rather I think it's much more likely that reviewers are struggling to offer helpful, pertinent criticisms to improve the text of an already-skilled writer; one who might benefit from helpful suggestions in certain areas. It's much easier to critique writing that is either exceptionally well done or in need of significant re-write (in the reviewer's opinion); it's a far more difficult task to help a promising writer like yourself w/o pissing you off and driving you away. So hang in there! The constructive reviews are coming; I'm sure. (Though I re-iterate what I stated earlier: The critique is a means to an end, not the end itself.) Cheers! 

Angela Martello
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:24 AM

I think we're all going to have to put Carl on retainer!

Hmmm, I see the usual suspects are commenting away in this thread. Robert must be right - everyone else is just shy.

Robert C Roman
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:33 AM

@Angela - Me? Right? That's unpossible...

@Carl - Well said, well said. Very good point that even though it *is* well said, you still want to go back and reword it.

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 11:13 AM

Carl - Wow. Yes, what do you charge per hour? Can I have you to whisper in my ear when I need to right myself and keep plugging away?
This, in particular, struck me:
"Every unexpected act of kindness, decency and pity should therefore move you to tears and damn near unhinge you, because you can now see these acts for what they are: Life spitting in the face of Death, Good confronting Evil, Dignity and Decency refusing to knuckle under to Indignity and Debasement."
I'm going to print that out and keep it the book I'm reading right now: "Techniques of the Selling Author." (I'm also reading "Writing Fiction for Dummies," but inside that one is the declaration Randy demands the reader jot down.
It's funny to me that in only the short time I've been part of this community, I've learned so much about myself, my writing, and the craft. I'd always thought being a good writer was like excelling at math, or painting: it was just part of your brain's natural proclivities and something you simply had to nurture by doing to see it flourish.
Now, I've realized that being a good writer is more like excelling at anything: you must practice, constantly work at it, never stop learning and making mistakes, and take all of the guidance you can amass. I've always had people telling me I was a gifted writer, so based on their views, I'd come to believe it, of course. Whether I am or not is irrelevant. I suppose those folks helped me get this far; the rest is up to me. I'm making it up to me. And while it's daunting to know just how much I don't know about the craft, I'm thrilled at the possibility of improving as I learn. 
So, thank you, Carl, for the words of wisdom, and for everyone else who's made a great suggestion, given a truthful-but-hard-to-swallow review, or simply provided kind words.
Monday
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 1:50 PM

I was actually here as a beta and then shortly after that my computer was stolen.  Amazing how quickly that can stop the internet.  And then stepping back into a community that seems well established can be intimidating.

I'm trying to slowly step my little toes back into the water.  This place is really amazing.
LeeAnna Holt
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 4:12 PM

See what happens when I"m not on here every day! Everybody writes these beautiful, eloquent answers. This site needs a mobil edition so I can check it out on my phone.

Don't feel intimidated, Monday! We're all friendly and nice. We love new people. (Or, at least new to me.) Good to have you back. This place is amazing!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 6:53 PM

@Monday - I was gone for a while too. Computer failure on my part, not theft, but still...

Welcome back!

@Laura - secret - both are true. Practice rewires your brain. You may have some starting proclivities in anything, but those are typically meaningless when weighed against the skills developed with practice.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Friday, April 6, 2012 9:27 PM

@Robert: I'm always making little typos and grammar mistakes when I write; drives me crazy! I've told myself I should type a response, sit on it for 24 hrs. and then re-review before posting but I'm always in a hurry to get the post up. I guess that's simply part of the pain of being an active member of an on-line writing community: the daily wincing and flinching you do as you re-read your words the next day and find all the errors.

@Laura: Thank you for the kind words; I just wanted you to know that most of us struggle with similar things. Regarding writing as on-going practice: that's it; you got it! 

@Monday: Hey, welcome back! Nice to hear from one of those rumored other 5000 people on Book Country . . .

@Angela: your book is calling me; I've got to get chapter three read and critiqued ASAP (ditto: GD). But right now (or should that be write now?) I've got to do some of my own scritch-scribbling. I'm struggling with the most difficult part of a story for me: the middle. Beginnings are always exciting and fun to write (so much promise and mood-setting hints of things to come!); endings are dramatic and satisfying (catharsis! denouement!), but the middle . . . you can lose your way in the middle and never find your way out again . . .

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:39 AM

Carl,

4964. That's the number of members as of today. 

Here's the problem: One of those new members is almost certainly my brother. Sure, he could be another dude by the same name,  but ... unlikely, I'd say.

I discovered his name by going through Search People, which I do from time to time. He's not a writer, so we probably won't be hearing from him. He's just trying to keep tabs on me. 

Many a dud relative may be lurking in our midst. But we've got to have a substantial potentially active community nonetheless.  

Keep talking, Carl. Your schtick is a winner, a real draw. You're full of good advice, and your delivery is mesmerizing. You're a showman.

What rabbit will you pull out of your hat next?

Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:48 AM

Hopefully a lucky rabbit . . .

GD Deckard
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 10:51 AM

Ha! Mimi You nailed it! For example, I know my ex wife is on here. She doesn't write. But she's probably just staying connected to our daughter, who is here.

Let's i-vision a 'Net phenomenen where people feel compelled to "connect" with others. Some won't ever do more than that. The connection is the consumation. Perhaps the lost souls here we never hear from derive nourishment from the connection alone.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 1:41 PM

GD,

Interesting, that you have a daughter who writes. My mother wrote, quite well. She and my father collaborated on his autobiography many years back, published through the vanity press. It was his retirement project. Of course he ended up giving the books away.

Mom didn't make it past a commercial course in high school. Times were tough, she had to go to work. I remember her frequent lament, I always wanted to be a writer. If only I could have gone to school for it

I never took her seriously. And, I had no sympathy at all. Even at thirteen I knew in my gut that you don't need a degree, permission, to write. Pick up a pen and do it.

That's neither here nor there. My original thought was, where does the impulse to write creatively come from? Is it genetic? Does it run in a family? Or are we lone-wolf nutcakes?

What drives someone to fashion fiction? If my brother writes at all, he writes political tracts for the campaigns he volunteers on. 

I'm not asking what outcome we yearn for, namely, a public success, in one form or another. Why do we need to write, against all odds of it being anything other than a grand game? Literary solitaire?

To think that you have something to say, and the ability to put it into coherent sentences, paragraphs, and even whole chapters, I call it a Magnificent Obsession. Whatever the potential for a more tangible reward, we are in the company of giants. That's a thrill in itself.

My mantra: Write On! (I'm one of those going-downhill-fast sixties people).

Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 2:34 PM

Maybe all those lurking, un-vocal people are--GASP!-- simply monitoring us to prove to themselves (and others) that writers are as odd and maladjusted a bunch as they'd always suspected. ("Get in here, Mary-Lou, and look at this! What'd I tell ya? Damn weirdos, is what they is. Don't wanna never hear no more crazy talk 'bout 'choo bringin' more books into this here house; we gots enough crazy with Cleetus thinking gravy is a vegetable.")  

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:09 PM

Hmmm, almost 5000 members but yet fewer than 800 books. And considering some people have posted two or more books, that tells me that not too many members have actually posted any works.

Maybe instead of silent monitors proving to themselves that writers are a bunch of lunatics (gee, Carl, aren't we?), I like to think - in my own little eternally optimistic way - that the un-vocal members are agents and editors looking for their next author. 

Then again, I've been having an exhausting week so I can be a bit delusional at the moment. . .

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 3:37 PM

Angela! Carl! Everybody! What is

I've gone to a texting symbol dictionary and I read: 
 Smiling without a nose. What the hell does that mean?

You people are driving me crazy (er).

Carl E Reed
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:04 PM

That's an emoticon meaning: "As I write this to you I'm smiling and hoping you're smiling too."

The " " denotes a wink.

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:37 PM

There is one with a nose, but hell if I can remember what it is. . .

And, Mimi, I always have to look up all those texting abbreviations. I know a few of them (LOL, ROFL, LMAO, IMHO, BTW), but that's about it. I once got an e-mail at work a few years back (more like 10!) with COB in it. I remember sitting there thinking, cob? As in corn cob? cob salad? What the heck does that have to do with this project? I had to ask someone. Good thing I did, or I would have missed a deadline.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:40 PM

Carl, I'm a dinosaur.

I don't chat on-line, except for here. I don't text. I don't have a smart phone, whatever that is.

I have a basic pay-as-you-go Trac phone. I know how to get to the address book, that's it. I tell people, don't leave me a voicemail. You're wasting your time. I don't know how to retrieve it.

My husband puts in the contacts. And every time he adds a new one, my brilliant man, a former jet pilot, a former stockbroker, an incessant reader with a fascination for history, mathematics and physics, when he has to add minutes to our phones, or add a contact, he almost always ends up throwing a monumental fit.

He's German. Nobody throws a fit like a German, believe me. (Sigh) Don't pity me. It's all strumunddrang. (I hope I got that right) Other than that, he's the most wonderful man I've ever know.

Angela, I'm glad I'm not the only one who's a bit lame with this stuff. Thanks.

Here goes nothing:  

Angela Martello
Posted: Saturday, April 7, 2012 5:03 PM

Mimi, I have a Trac phone, too - with 3000+ minutes on and about 20 days left to use them. I rarely give out the number, especially since I never hear it when it rings (nor do I carry it around with me all the time). . . I did manage to get the contacts in it and even figured out how to take (grainy) pictures with it.

I don't text - I abhor what it has done to people's (especially young people) communication skills. I know what a smart phone is (most of my siblings have them), but don't see a reason to run out and get one just so I can download apps I'll probably lose interest in after a couple of weeks.

That said, however, I adore my Kindle and iPod(s) and wireless home network and laptop. So, I'm a dinosaur with respect to some things.

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 3:28 AM

@Angela: "There is one with a nose, but hell if I can remember what it is. . ."

It's this

My generation invented these things on AIM.

I do text but only because my family is so busy, it's easier to keep in touch. However, I am someone who will use proper spelling and grammar in my texts. Txt spk annoys me.

When it came time to upgrade my phone though, the guy at Verizon kept steering me to a phone that was a few hundred dollars and could do oh-so-much. The price made my skin crawl. I found a much much cheaper phone that allowed me to do everything I wanted: make calls, send texts and check my e-mail.

Which Kindle do you own?

Angela Martello
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:12 AM

Hi, Alexandria - Thanks for the smiley face with a nose emoticon! And I'm glad to hear you spell out your words when you text (the few texts I have sent have been in full words).

I have the Wi-Fi Kindle with the keyboard. It has books, some word games, and Italian language tutorials on it so far. It saved my sanity when I was stuck in the Paris airport for 8 hours during their strike. I'm saving up my Amazon points, however, because I'm toying with the ideal of getting a Kindle Fire someday - then I'll play with apps that I'll probably lose interest in within a few days

Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:08 PM

@Angela / Carl - I actually have this vague hope that at least some portion of the non-posting members are readers. A forum populated entirely by authors is very likely to wind up producing technically brilliant, critically acclaimed, unreadable hulks.

My goal is to be read. With that in mind, I think it's a good thing if we have some readers here along with the authors and critics and assorted industry professionals.

Carl E Reed
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 6:53 PM

Heh-heh! Pithy and on-point as ever, Sir Robert! (May I call you "sir", sir?)

That could be a fun new game under this posting; one we could all try our hand at: "A forum populated entirely by authors is very likely to wind up producing technically-brilliant, critically-acclaimed, unreadable ______."

Barmy sods.

Jump to different Forum...