RSS Feed Print
Former Agent & Submission Info - In the Query?
JamieWyman
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 1:52 AM

Hi, gang.

So, I have a question for the agents, former agents, seasoned veterans among us... 

As you may know, I had an issue in June that left me looking for a new agent. So, I'm back in the query game. In the past few months, I've had the fortune to have editors request my manuscript of me (without ex-agent's involvement). Both editors work for excellent, reputable houses.  

So... 

Should I include this info in my query? Should I say that I was agented for 8  months but never went on submissions? Should I tell a prospective agent that I have a Hugo award winner and a "big 6 imprint" looking at the book right now? 

Or just send the straight query and tell the agent if interest is on the table? 

Thanks for your input, guys.

have a great evening.

-Jamie

Jay Greenstein
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:44 AM
• Should I include this info in my query?

Why? It’s backstory, and has nothing to do with what’s happening, right? ;–) If it wasn’t ever queried by the agent, who cares if one, a series, or no agents at all looked at it before?

You already have two publishers looking at it. What is there for the agent to do but negotiate in your name? Assuming that someone says yes, for the agent it’s free money.

Congrats on the Hugo, by the way, that’s fantastic news.

JamieWyman
Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 1:58 PM

No, i didn't win the Hugo... LOL One of the editors who is looking at it is a Hugo winner.
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Tuesday, September 6, 2011 2:17 AM

HI Jamie -

Yes, you absolutely mention that you were repped before but you do not mention the submissions until (and if) an agent contacts you for representation. If you are shopping the same book that the previous agent repped, you are obligated to tell any agent who signs you on before you sign an agency agreement.

Once you have that conversation with your soon-to-be new agent, he or she will ask you for the list of editors who have already seen the manuscript, as the agent will not be able to send the manuscript to those editors again.

I happen to know your backstory, and understand that you have special extenuating circumstances in your agent story, but in general, the above applies in the majority of cases.

Good luck!

Colleen

Jump to different Forum...