RSS Feed Print
Title Torture - is it good enough?
Kathleen Shaputis
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:56 AM

I have never had trouble creating the right title, until now. For my paranormal romantic comedy, I am worried about not good enough as a hook. The working title is Baillie's Castle. Here is the summary below. Comments desperately welcomed!

Sudden blasts of frigid, heart-stopping air are the first clue something’s not right at Baillie’s bookstore. When she hears faint bagpipes and the cat hides from the shop, Baillie’s nerves are on edge. Sure she’s a teeny tiny bit Scots, that’s no reason for spooks. A Renaissance Faire psychic confirms her fears: she’s being haunted by Kai, a gorgeous young lord of Scotland.

Months later when surprised she’s inherited a castle, Baillie refuses the encouragement of the bank and her closest friends to sign and sell. She’s off to the land of her ancestors. 

Falling in love aside, Baillie is threatened and must solve the mystery of deaths that occur before her. Drag queens and divas and ghosts, oh my. Fortunately, friend Gillian Nation, and his posse of girls, rally to help her in Scotland, drawing a villainous banker into their delicious scheme. DNA, lip-synching and alcohol are the perfect cocktail mix of answers and discovery until jealousy and abandonment throw Baillie into the fight of her life.

Brandi Larsen
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:56 PM

Hi Kathleen.

Are you looking for help on your title or on your query? (I'm sorry that I'm a bit confused, but I want to help.)

Best,
Brandi

Kathleen Shaputis
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:41 PM

Hi, Brandi,

The title (sigh). I've never completed a novel where at least by the end I knew and loved the title. This one escapes me.

Thanks, K

MariAdkins
Posted: Monday, March 25, 2013 4:21 PM
I would need to see more / know more about the book.

Kathleen Shaputis
Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:23 AM

It's a paranormal, romantic comedy and actually I've abandoned Baillie's Castle and revised the title to The Ghost Wears Kilts.

Some of the other "ideas" have been Heir By Chance, Scots on the Rocks, Murder on the Moors. But this isn't a heavy murder mystery, it's a cozy.

MariAdkins
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2013 3:15 PM
I still need more. Do you have a synopsis?

Jump to different Forum...