RSS Feed Print
Help! I Need a Title!
Marcie
Posted: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 4:08 AM

Someone has finally pointed out to me that sarcasm doesn't come through in a title, making Mother Knows Best the worst possible title for a Romantic Suspense novel. I know, embarrassing right! Trust me, the artist side of my brain has been sufficiently punished. 

I think I've found a suitable alternative but should probably keep looking. What's your process for coming up with a title?

amberh
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 1:36 PM

I currently hate my title for the piece that I've posted here, Through the Lens. For the majority of the story's life, it was just "Untitled" in my WIP folder, but I had to scramble to have something as the title when I had submitted the first few chapters to a contest, and the current name stuck.

Every time I've tried to come up with something more appropriate (and that I don't hate), I've stalled. Most of the time, the title of the story jumps out at me within the first few chapters, but this time it's become frustrating. I'll be very interested in finding out how others sort out a good title when you've hit a wall.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Thursday, May 5, 2011 7:27 PM

Marcie, I've read a romance suspense novel with a batshiat insane mother in it by that exact title before.
momgotshocked
Posted: Friday, May 6, 2011 7:45 PM

yeah -- if someone here has a magic secret and can share it: how to find title for your MS! I'd love to know.

I've heard that that IF you get your book published the chance of keeping your own title is slim, but even at that, I think having a catchy title is a good idea. Mine is super lame.

One question I have though -- I have an idea for a title that would be catchy(er) and seem to make sense...until you got to the end of my story. Then it would become clear that I had cheated -- had drawn the reader in with a false premise. (Yeah, I know that's unclear, but trust me)

Somehow that seems like a very bad thing to do -- would violate writer-morality, or something.

Any input?

Marcie
Posted: Saturday, May 7, 2011 2:07 AM

@Alexander Thanks for letting me know. I guess that's one more reason to change it, wouldn't want two similar stories with the same title.

@momgotshocked. I'd be upset if I felt you didn't deliver on a promise - probably wouldn't trust you enough to read a second story - harsh but true.

Normally I use the underlying theme of the piece to choose my title, but this time it didn't work out.
Blakely Chorpenning
Posted: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 7:46 PM

On occasion, with some of my short stories, the title is one of the first pieces to the puzzle. But with longer projects... I think I'm pretty stinky about titles.
I agree with trying to use an underlying theme or idea. I did that with Souled Out. I tried a play on words, of course. But I also kept to the main conflict, being that the mc let her sister borrow her soul only to later discover that both her sister and a witch are plotting to steal it and leave her to a life of vampire servitude.
But I am definitely having trouble with my current manuscript, Cinders. I may have to wait until all major revisions are complete before really discovering if that is the best title. And I saw that the original title I had chosen, Blood Moon, was already a title for someone's book right here on Book Country.
Sometimes it helps to listen to music that has the same feel as the manuscript and see if inspiration strikes. Occasionally, a word or phrase will stand out that just says, "Pazowie, this is it!"
Most of the time I feel like a mix between a begger and a flasher, saying, "Please, can you spare a title? What do you think of this one? You know you wanna see it."

Drew Welsheimer
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:59 AM

That's tough, because you don't want to come off as too cliche, but then again, you want to come up with a title that a mass audience can look at and immediately identify with. If you think about it, when you are at a book store, what makes you pick up the book and turn it around to read the synopsis? Unfortunately, for me, and I'm embarassed to say, the title and the graphic art on the cover draw me in.

Also, a google search would be a good idea. Put in "Mother Knows Best", which is a pretty common phrase, and see what you come up with. Maybe you should put mom or mother in the title, but then use other symbolic words that appear in your novel.
Marcie
Posted: Monday, November 7, 2011 12:59 PM

Thanks Drew!
Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 2:53 AM

Oh, the title. I think non-writers would be very surprised to find out that that is the most difficult thing for writers to come up with sometimes. Okay, most times. I'll say my title "The Wedding Game" came very quickly. I like it as a contrast. It's not necessarily the average title for a historical romance. On the other hand, my other novel has a weak working title.

For my short stories, I tend to go for song lyrics as their titles. And I love showtunes, so I go there first.
Marcie
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:38 AM

That's an interesting idea Alexandria. Thanks!

Alexandria Brim
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:37 PM

You're welcome. I'm sure you'll find something you think fits your novel.
Kat Day
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:27 AM

There are many clever titles out there and you do want something that sums up the mood and plot, but the best titles reference a familiar somthing: a ref. to another cultural icon, a play on words maybe? I always check Amazon to see if a title's been used. It's not unusual to find more than one book with the same title.

My posted book, Death and Rememberment, is a play on words, but is it too strange? I cut out the character that used the word 'rememberment' to show a poor vocabulary, so now there's no direct link. The book is about death and escaping the past. My alternate title is One Bad Decision. That's a theme throughout the story, but not as catchy. If anyone reads the book I've posted here, thats' a question I'd lke answered!

Jump to different Forum...