RSS Feed Print
How do you like your (fictional) love interests?
C M Rosens
Posted: Thursday, May 9, 2013 4:34 PM

I was reading JC McDowell's Watching Fireflies, which is a pretty good contemporary romance and not my usual genre, and I was struck by how different her MC's love interest(s) are compared to mine.

Do you find yourself writing a particular type - brooding, bad, sexy, geek-chic, damaged, naive etc - and if so, what draws you to them?

TE Hauxwell
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 2:50 PM

Regardless of what sub-genre of romance I'm reading, be it Western, Historical, Fantasy, I like my romantic heroes to be reserved and gentlemanly. I also like them to be passionate about something other than the heroine, whether that's a hobby such as art or a vocation such as medicine or catching bad guys. I like my heroines to be similar in that I like female leads who have the kind of lives that mean romance is way down their list of priorities. I find it so much more fascinating when love happens to two people who weren't looking for it or expecting to find it.

Alexandra Hartley
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 12:46 PM

It depends on the genre. 
I write mainly historical fiction, and one thing very many people don't know about women in the past is (especially in England AND America) is that they couldn't do the things we normally do now. They couldn't get jobs in the Victorian era (early). The first recorded woman job was a physician in 1876. That was a rarity. 
My main characters tend to be repressed in the beginning, as they should be because it reflects the suppression of women in the Victorian age. 

But if it's more modern, I like to make my characters a bit spunky and ecclectic. I don't like to label my characters though, as they are a part of who I am. I give them their personalities, interview them, and watch them bloom  

Oh and my love interests tend to be a bit on the broody side in the Victorian, Regency, Edwardian fictions... 
But in modern, they're more romantic lol. Or they like English, so they're academic and well-read.

Jump to different Forum...