RSS Feed Print
Is there a need for new kids of races in paranormal romance?
S A Price
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:32 PM

Are there any types of characters or races that you, as a reader would like to see more of in paranormal romance? Are there races or tropes you don't want to read, or have read too much of?

Danielle Bowers
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:45 PM

Leprechauns! I always had a thing for the Lucky Charms guy.

Seriously though, I'd like to see more fae work. Not fairies with wings but the real fae types that can't be around iron.
cameronchapman
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 1:10 AM

I'm working on a series (though it may be more urban fantasy than paranormal romance) that is going to feature Fomorians and Sidhe (aka, "the real fae types that can't be around iron").

There's a lot of mythology out there that hasn't yet been explored, at least not significantly. Every culture has its own gods, demons, and supernatural creatures, and I think the genre has barely scratched the surface so far.
LisaMarie
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 1:51 AM

Native American mythology would totally rock, IMHO. I'm not sure what someone could do with this, but being from the SW, I'd find it more appealing than other traditions.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Friday, April 1, 2011 7:07 PM

hey, I have both basically a sequel to Raymond Feist's Faerie Tale , which deals with classic fae, and a book about Native American boogeymen, specifically southwest, specifically the Navajo, Hopi, and Apache, on my backburner! I should start those one of these decades.

Lisa Marie, look up Tony Hillerman and his Joe Leaphorn and Jim Chee novels!
Robert C Roman
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 12:53 PM

Maybe, but it would have to be well written.

In other words, I'd rather see a well written story about something that's been done than a poorly written one with a really novel idea. I like new ideas, but not so much that I'll enjoy reading something that isn't well realized.
EmilyRD
Posted: Saturday, April 2, 2011 11:29 PM

Hi S A,

I would like to see more demon fiction that isn't Biblical. Beyond that, I believe the tried-and-true are successful because they're attractive and think writers would be better served "twisting" the tried-and-true than reinventing the wheel.
EmilyRD
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 7:36 AM

KS, you might be happy to know my best-selling titles are my dragon-based paranormals. They remain popular through the ebbs and tides.

LisaMarie
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 9:06 AM

@Alexander

Awesome! The only paranormal romance I could possibly summon up the interest to research and write would deal with Native American mythology. My interest was piqued when my astronomy prof had us read various texts that addressed creation myths throughout history. I have a working manuscript right now, but I'm only a few chapters in.
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 10:37 AM

A romance novel using the ET visitors creation myths? veddy veddy interesting. Speaking of veddy, look into the Vedics. A lot of the mythology of India ties very much into those same creation myths and heiroglyphics.
LisaMarie
Posted: Sunday, April 3, 2011 8:59 PM

LOL! Yup, this was courtesy of a visiting professor from U.C.-Berkeley. The class was called "The Search for Extraterrestrial Life." It was more philosophy than science, but it was ... interesting, to say the least.

And it proved to me that had I attended U.C.-Berkeley, I would have been totally screwed ...
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Monday, April 4, 2011 6:21 PM

KS, if you haven't already read them, The Dragon DelaSangre series is an EXCELLENT approach to dragons in modern times.
NoellePierce
Posted: Friday, April 8, 2011 1:23 AM

Though my normal genre is historical romance (Regency-set for now), I'm working on a paranormal romance idea that I got in a dream. Its paranormals are elementals, so fae, but no wings. I don't even mention any other race but the basic four elemental types, and one fifth element, the Spirit. I'm making a lot of rules of their world up, but trying to make them as realistic as possible, based on pagan myths.

As far as what I'm done with: vampires and werewolves.
AudryT
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 5:22 AM

Are there any good djinn romances out there?
Alexander Hollins
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:24 PM

audry, beyond some really hot Aladin fan fic with some Genie/x slashing, no, not really. But now that I've thought about it, I totally have a plot in mind. Sexual djinn, the normal wishes thing, but generally also becomes the master's lover, but only while guiding them through to find their own perfect lover.

Hell, you could have a series, each book or short being the djinn taking another master to their own personal perfect mate, then being passed on. Hmm. That would blur genre lines, since it would both be romance and erotica, methinks. (erotica with the djinn, moving to romance as the master gets their HEA)
Kimberly Jones
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 5:45 PM

I'm actually working on a series that centers around some creatures that are kind of my own creation. They're called phantoms, and their main "power" is that they can go between life and death at will. My story takes place several hundred years in the future. In the present day, a terrible pandemic ravaged the human population. Only the wealthy could afford the vaccine against it. Their descendants developed immunity the disease of the pandemic and a small number of them developed the “phantom gene”. This genetic mutation turned them into Phantoms, a immortal race.

Because the population of the world is so low, the blood-sucker/flesh-eaters of the immortal races are fighting over the human supply. My phantoms are all that stand between the humans and the ‘baddies’ of the immortal world. My story opens at the on-set of a war between humans + immortals and Noble Immortals vs. Fallen Immortals.

Not sure how "different" it is. But I want my series to be The Hunger Games meets LOTR meets Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series.
Robert C Roman
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2011 3:44 PM

@Addley - I've actually got a published novella with a Golem as the Hero, although it isn't Jewish fiction. Fae Eye for the Golem Guy.

Jump to different Forum...