RSS Feed Print
Have a new mystery project to workshop on Book Country? Need readers? Share here!
Colleen Lindsay
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2012 12:22 PM

Hi guys!

I notice that a lot of you guys are fairly new here (welcome!) and are having an attack of shyness when it comes to asking for reads for your newly-posted manuscript. So to help alleviate that, I'm creating this thread. Got a new project you want eyeballs on? Tell us about it here!

Good luck!

Colleen
Community Manager
Brian Lowe
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:25 PM

I've posted a cozy, "Happy Birthday, Cousin Natalie," set in the stock brokerage business (but you don't have to know anything about that to read it). Honestly, I had hoped it would turn out with a lighter tone than it did, and maybe someone could tell me where I went wrong. And it's got two protagonists, so both women and men can read it.
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:18 AM

Hey, guys. I recently posted a revised version of my cop drama/mystery The Job, and would love some peer review and feedback. My MC is Ann, a cop with a big chip on her shoulder and a painful past she'd love to forget about. When she's suspended after yet another complaint against her, she's forced to take a good, hard look at herself and her actions. Meanwhile, there's a serial killer preying on the women in Erie, PA, and Ann's forced vacation couldn't be more poorly timed. Ann will need to let down her guard, make amends with friends and coworkers, and face her own demons to catch the killer.
(sorry if that summary stinks - I was trying to summarize on the fly and keep it short) Basically, I'd just really like to know if it's working so far. I'm completely open to constructive criticism, of course, too. Thanks!

Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:20 AM

Oh, and The Job is kind of dark, so be forewarned. It's not graphic thus far, but I'm not ruling it out. Thanks!
Maria Granovsky
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 11:33 AM

Laura, I read the first version and liked it, so will make sure to read the revised version, too. But it might take a little time (and I'll post a review this time), because it's like drinking from a hose on this site! There are so many manuscripts that I'm following and want to read and review, and good stuff is being added all the time...
Laura Dwyer
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:07 PM

Maria - Thanks, and it gives me a little reassurance knowing someone has read it and plans to review/comment at some point. I totally understand and appreciate your analogy. I just finished reading Lynne's work and...where did my workday go?? So many titles, so little time!
Johnr Williams
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 9:19 PM

Hi everyone, I'm rather new here and just posted my first (rough) draft of my current piece "GUY". If any of you would like, hop on over and give it a read.

Thank You for your time

Tom Bradley Jr
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:24 PM

I just returned to Book Country after a lengthy absence and have posted an updated version of my mystery/caper, THE KONA SHUFFLE. Please feel free to drop by, give it a read and let me know what you think. Thanks.

Joan Curtis
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2012 6:03 PM

My cozy mystery has been posted for a while and only gotten 4 reviews.  If anyone would like to take a look, I'd greatly appreciate it. The title is e-Murderer. I'm polishing up the query letter and the first chapters right now in the hopes of sending it out soon. So, your comments would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

E Nijssen
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 10:46 PM

I posted my mystery The Fifth Left Foot,  under the pen name E. Nijssen and would be happy to trade critiques with other writers. 

Here in the NW we had a series of left feet wash ashore on the Olympia Penninsula, and this mystery is my attempt to explain how such a thing could happen in a land more accustomed to Lavender feuds and artisanal whiskey. If you'd like Portlandia-noir, come give The Fifth Left Foot a read and let me know what you think. 

Mary Catlin 

Lucy Silag
Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:28 AM

Hi @E!

Welcome to Book Country. Very excited to have you here!

Thanks also for letting the community know about your mystery project. I've been reading so much about Portland and the Pacific Northwest this year--so I am super excited to check out your WIP.

If you need help navigating Book Country, here are a couple of links that might appeal to you: our FAQ, our video tutorial introducing new members to the site, and a blog post that explains some of our thoughts about how to join in (though it looks to me like you are already on your way!).

Let me know if I can do anything to make Book Country more useful for you.

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

WK
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 6:36 AM

Hello guys,

I can tell you that I am addicted to mystery and suspense novels like those by Mary Higgins Clark. That is why I decided at fifteen years old, to stat writing a mystery and suspense novel called The Richmond Trails.

I get really excited writing it every day a little bit...by nights...by mornings...by afternoon...by evenings...by nightmares and dreams.

Writing is my sense of life, and I'd love to share my first five chapters with you!!

Have all a nice morning wherever you are!

See you on the page!

Bye, Bye

WK

WK
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 7:03 AM

Sequel to the first post (unfortunately it is not the sequel to 'The Shining' I am writing 'Doctor Sleep'

PS: I'd really need some feedback just to know how you find my way of writing, of creating sentences and suspense in a whole!!

Here the link to my chapters of the book...Have a nice reading!!

http://www.bookcountry.com/BookDetail.aspx?BookId=5116

See you on the page!!

Bye!

WK
Lucy Silag
Posted: Friday, October 25, 2013 9:55 AM

Hi WK!

Thanks so much for posting a link to your project--makes it so easy to click over and review!

Looking forward to getting to know your writing here on Book Country!

Welcome!

Lucy Silag

Book Country Community and Engagement Manager

Bob Schueler
Posted: Friday, November 29, 2013 11:50 AM

I just posted 4th draft of my novel, The Twenty Five Years. It's hard to categorize, but I was having some trouble finding reviewers in the Psychological Suspense genre, so decided to move it to General Mystery. I've begun work on another one, which is more of a who-done-it, so figured I should get more familiar with mystery writers on the site.

This one's about a murder in a psychiatric group home, and includes some philosophical and personal conflicts among the characters. Workplace conflicts and politics is an area of interest for me, and I like to think some of the philosophical dilemmas in mental health work could have universal resonance. It deals with the problem of shortened lifespan among people with psychiatric disabilities, whereas the next book will explore the issue of violence by people with mental illness, and societies attitudes and response to the issue.

I've had two reviews so far--I don't count the first by BC staff, as it was based only on the first chapter. If anyone is looking for a reviewer, please let me know.

--edited by Bob Schueler on 12/14/2013, 5:15 PM--

ValerieT
Posted: Monday, October 5, 2015 12:44 PM

I'm one of the Authonomy refugees. I will be posting the first draft of my cosy mystery, Frog Legs. I haven't completed it yet and will look forward to some reactions.
ValerieT
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 4:54 PM

I have four chapters of my cosy mystery, Frog Legs, up and running. Frog Legs is the third in the Dunbarton Mysteries and has an environmental theme.

http://www.bookcountry.com/Bookdetail.aspx?BookId=8625

I am close to finishing the first draft so I will be posting additional chapters as they are edited.

Charles E. Kempton
Posted: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 8:33 PM

I have posted my crime novel A FINE DAY IN HELL after many revisions. I need general feedback including whether the title will attract or repel readers; and anyone who posts a review can be assured that I will return the favor. Thanks.

- Charles E. Kempton

Jump to different Forum...