RSS Feed Print
If you show me yours, I'll show you mine.
Momo
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 11:40 AM

Since I've been having trouble getting reviews - and return reviews for reviews I've done - I thought I'd give this a try: Is anyone interested in swapping reviews? I have two pieces I'm workshopping: "Celestin", a short story/novelette set in East Africa and, "Sepp", a short story.

Momo

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 10:35 AM

Hi Momo--trading reviews is a great idea. Have the reviews you've gotten already been helpful to you as you think about revision for these 2 stories?

You should also introduce yourself to the community here. Even if you've chimed into Authonomy threads, Book Country members who were involved in Authonomy might not be weeding through those to find new folks to connect with. Use an "introduce yourself" post" to explain your goals and where you are coming from as a writer.

I've also just recommended you to a couple other LitFic writers on the site.

Momo
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 11:55 AM

Thanks for the tips. I will go introduce myself.

The reviews were in fact immensely helpful, and I have already reworked the story quite a bit as a result.

But I do find thought that sometimes one needs a critical mass of reviews. For example, if one person thinks that a story starts moving too slowly, but I think my opening chapter is very important and strong as it stands, I may not rewrite my story. But if 5 people say it, then it ceases to be a question of individual taste, and clearly a problem in my style.

I've given 6 reviews (not counting the one on your short story yesterday) and received only 2. The balance is a little off. Hence my attempt to be a little more explicit in the exchange of reviews.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, January 16, 2016 8:16 PM

I will review both of your pieces, directly after two others I intend to work on this weekend. Wait for me to post my reviews, then I would appreciate it if you would review my Yo Ho!, comic narrative verse, short, three thousand word total, on the literary side. If you love the nonsense verse of Edward Lear, (complex story, strange words) you may like mine.

Momo
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 1:11 AM

Hi Mimi,

Sorry, that post was a little dated - and so were the two pieces of writing. I've since migrated my writing over to another site and am working on different things.

Thanks anyway,

Maurice

Jump to different Forum...