RSS Feed Print
Dashes
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 11:32 AM

Ever wondered exactly how you are supposed to use all the different types of dashes? Check out this video from the good people of the New Yorker--very useful!

I use an em dash in practically every sentence.

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 2:32 PM

Thanks, Lucy. I'll check it out. Dashes are on my list, but way down, of things to figure out. How about punctuation around parentheses? Inside or outside a run-on sentence? 

I'll check it out, but I have worse to deal with, (far worse.) Or: I'll check it out, but I have worse to deal with, (far worse). 

Here's a better one, out of my footnotes: The royal edict would provide him with an easy post (no set duties) and a nice pension (life-long swell eats). Or: The royal edict would provide him with an easy post (no set duties) and a nice pension (life-long swell eats.) 

--edited by Mimi Speike on 9/4/2015, 2:48 PM--

Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 11:09 AM

I tend to go with the latter, Mimi . . . but I am curious as to what other people will say!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:47 PM

Well, I screwed that up. I got my examples switched in order, so when you say the latter, I don't know which one you mean.  Here, try this one:

1. ... verse that rhymes (or tries to,) without resorting to cliché. Or: 2. ... verse that rhymes (or tries to), without resorting to cliché.

I use parentheses often. I make a statement, then qualify it, walk it back, a have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too strategy that I am addicted to, so I would love a definitive answer.

Again, this isn't the best example, but I hope you see what I'm asking.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 9/8/2015, 2:49 PM--

Posted: Tuesday, September 8, 2015 3:28 PM

#2!

Jump to different Forum...