RSS Feed Print
How many novels written before publication?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 5:55 PM

I loved this post I saw on Twitter--the writer asked a big group of writers how many books they wrote before they got published and compiled the stats. Surprising and interesting!
Charles J. Barone
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 3:37 PM

I did 2 novels before finally getting published, and published 4 books with small publishers. There might be some significance that the 3 small presses that published my 4 epics went out of business shortly after.

Since then, I've continued writing but found the publishing 'experience' to be increasingly difficult - publishing being everything from agent to print.

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 8:49 PM

I oftentimes find myself mulling over what an editor told GD Deckard (a stand-out writer who posts frequently on this site): "It's never been more difficult to break out a new writer."

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 9/11/2015, 2:16 PM--

Amber J. Wolfe
Posted: Friday, August 28, 2015 10:32 PM

@Carl E. Reed:

Gasp! Carl, you've finally posted to the forums again! Yay! I've missed you--even though we haven't talked much.

*Fan girl screaaaam*

Mimi Speike
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 4:44 AM

Carl, I hope things are well with you.
Carl E. Reed
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 10:44 PM

@Amber & Mimi: Hello there! (Don't want to hijack this thread, so let's just say things are what they are and leave it at that.)
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Monday, August 31, 2015 12:11 PM

Eeep! It's Carl! Yay! Hi, Carl!!

Yes, I agree with GD. It's never been easier to publish, but it's never been harder to break out.

However, GD (and the rest of you guys!) have impressed me so much by how you've banded together as a community to share tips, and to cheer each other on. Going on FOUR YEARS NOW! This is a lot in the digital era.

I've been thinking about the statistics I linked to above all month. I'm working SO hard on my novel, and in the back of my mind I worry: is this going to be the one I throw out on the way to a better one?? Argh. Still, worthwhile, since it takes a lot of practice to get good.

Carl E. Reed
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 9:37 PM

@Lucy: Four years. Is that all? Feels like four hundred . . . 

But yes, we is a merry little band of scritch-scribblers; we is. 

Good luck with that novel! Writing one is a muthafu

[Here endeth the life of C.E. Reed, the above being a record of the last words he ever wrote. Or tried to write. Or having written, self-stifled. Or, being tippled and typing trifles, self-stifled such trifling tripe as trickled from his--

:::sigh:::

It would appear I have a few more words left me in yet. Need they be coherent? It doesn't specify that anywhere on this application . . . 

But seriously--best of luck with the book. Keep us posted!

--edited by Carl E. Reed on 9/2/2015, 1:50 AM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Tuesday, September 1, 2015 11:33 PM

This is a damn hard road we've chosen. I'm not in the best spirits myself at the moment. I've got a lot hanging over my head.
Atthys Gage
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 1:56 PM

Six (in order of completion):  A Quickening Wind

Fold Along the Dotted Line (only 40,000 words)

Spark

Flight of the Wren

Then the Moon Trembled

Whisper Blue

I also wrote a book length memoir on our trip to China to adopt a daughter. 

These were all completed before Spark got picked up by Lycaon Press. It represents about 9 years of work. I'm hoping by the end of the year to top three figures in royalties. (Fingers crossed!) 

Jump to different Forum...