RSS Feed Print
A great book for anyone writing about American history, and for character development!
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 12:17 PM

I'm reading such an interesting book right now: AMERICAN NATIONS by Colin Woodard. It's all about the diverse regional cultures in the US, and how those cultures developed since their founding. It's been very inspiring to me in terms of character development, as it points out how differently people think and act in different parts of the US and other parts of North America. Highly recommend!
RCGravelle
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 8:06 PM

I read that. It explains a lot about the many Americas. We are in so many ways creatures of our geography--our ideas, religion, politics, view of patriotism, sense of what it means to be an American. I like how the author makes the point that different regions of America were settled by different groups of people (even from different parts of Europe) for different purposes. It is compelling reading, valuable insight into questions of national identity that have much influence on our personal identities.
TheresaReel
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 10:31 AM

Another good book that connects original English settlers and their culture to the cultures of different geographical areas of the U.S. is

"Albion's Seed".  Read it years ago and loved it.

Jump to different Forum...