RSS Feed Print
Who has an email newsletter?
Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 9:12 AM

Post a link to where BC members can sign up for your newsletter!
Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 5:35 PM

That's an idea I hadn't thought of. Thanks, Lucy. Is that generally text sent in an email or a pdf attachment. a page created in a layout program, for once, a skill I am familiar with? I'm wrestling gingerly with the web site.

D J Lutz
Posted: Wednesday, June 17, 2015 10:25 PM
Interesting! I've done newsletters for nonprofits in the past but haven't considered one for my writing. I have a blog but newsletters can add a certain panache, I suppose. It may be time to fire up MS Publisher and see what happens. Now the question is: does the newsletter come from me, or from my main character? Hmm.
Mimi Speike
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 12:56 AM

DJ, have your character do a guest column. Hey, have your characters write whacky letters to the editor. What fun!

Varsi A
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 12:15 AM

Mimi Speike wrote:

DJ, have your character do a guest column. Hey, have your characters write whacky letters to the editor. What fun!

THAT is an awesome idea! I've been trying to put together a newsletter and was struggling with content!  THANK YOU happy

Lucy Silag - Book Country Director
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 8:48 AM

Such great ideas happening here!

I adore the idea of letters from the editor from the characters.

And DJ--why not some recipes from foods that you describe in your book?

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 8:35 PM

Anyone who thinks to write letters from your characters, I urge you to try to get hold of a book by Don Novello, written in the seventies. Novello was Father Guido Sarducci of SNL fame. (Find the popes in the pizza, remember that?) I saw his book way way back, it was hilarious. I don't remember the name.

He wrote letters to large companies/corporations/politicians complaining about their products/services/performances, in a quietly tongue-in-cheek tone. Anyone with half a brain would know it was all a goof, but they were so afraid of insulting, they wrote him back addressing his odd complaints with total seriousness and absolute courtesy, and he often got freebies out of them for his supposed inconvenience/defective product.

I'm going to try to find that book myself.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I've found it on Amazon. The Lazlo Letters, volumes one and two. (The writer of the letters supposedly one Lazlo Toth.) I'm ordering both of them when I get home tonight. And, I'll buy Atthys' and GD's books, and the one I'd thought I bought by Beryl Bainbridge, but I got only the study guide. Wow! Her stuff rates a study guide! I'm impressed. Gotta read it now.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 6/19/2015, 10:11 PM--

CarolBMT
Posted: Friday, June 26, 2015 6:00 PM
My email newsletter supports my historical Western novels. I've named it rather unimaginatively, "Montana's Vigilante History." You can find it on my website: http://carol-buchanan.com/blog
D J Lutz
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 7:28 PM

Very nice, Carol. I like how you have your newsletter advert set up on your website. I suppose you could change the name to something flashy, but I think the one you have fits well.

Jump to different Forum...