RSS Feed Print
Connecticut Yankee
Mimi Speike
Posted: Sunday, February 8, 2015 10:15 PM

in King Arthur's Court. I have a list of titles to buy on Amazon. Yankee was one of them. I read it fifty-five years ago and remembered very little about it, certainly not the marvelous phrasing. I know I would certainly have read it for the story, I wasn't that sophisticated at fifteen. I'm agonizing, as usual, over my own thing. Specifically, my world being a character in itself, and quite overwhelming. I thought I might gain some insight from Twain's handling of his setting. 

Well, his story is first person, a different critter altogether. But, I am blown away by what a brilliant writer he was. I'm loving - really really loving - nearly every paragraph. This is stupendous stuff. I may have the book half read by the time I close my eyes. What a delight this thing is! And I found it on Guttenberg. For free.

In addition to story and style, the man was a fire-breathing populist. Really, this is just fabulous. 

--edited by Mimi Speike on 2/9/2015, 12:22 AM--

Mimi Speike
Posted: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:39 PM

I'm still here, just very busy. I'm still reading Yankee. I've also started Don't Shoot The Actor, a memoir by Simon Callow of his career on stage and screen, and Women On The Stage in Early Modern France by Virginia Scott, a scholarly work from Cambridge University Press, this is going to take some time to work through. It is intense. By which I mean fact-filled and dense. But full of stuff that I can use.

I've about finished polishing my last brand new chapters of Sly and am starting to think about the next few, in which he talks about his time on the Elizabethan stage and gives my two kids acting advice on their upcoming performance. Half-assed advice, count on it.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 2/18/2015, 10:41 PM--

Jump to different Forum...