RSS Feed Print
Is my book idea a good one or is it to much?
Rojack79
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 1:01 AM

Ok I know I had another topic up in this section before but I felt like I was rushing thing's with that one and so I deleted it. Now my hope in putting this idea out here is to receive constructive criticism on my work. I am currently working on a Sci-Fi book that will follow a basic premise, one day a man wake's up in the  future with no memory of anything before he woke up. He set's of into the post-apocalyptic waste's of the world to find out who he is and how he got here.  Another aspect of my book is my attempt at putting a science fiction twist on a few well known mythological/supernatural creature's such as werewolves, vampires, zombies, dragons, and even ghost's. There will also be a lot of killer robots, super mutant's, a few kill sat's, some giant robot's ala gundam style, some powered armor, a superman proxy thrown into the mix and even Atlantis will make a appearance. Let me know what you think.
Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:22 AM

Hi again, Rojack.

I've already given my thoughts on your story ideas. And I'll say it again: If you have the skill to put these ideas to paper, I say go for it. But remember that writing fiction is difficult. It takes years of practice and studying to write decent fiction.

You have the ideas. You have the desire to write them out. Go ahead, and I'll take a look at the manuscripts you post here. Us here at Book Country wish to see you succeed. I'm supporting you

Amber Wolfe
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:25 AM

Oh, forgot to say this: Only YOU can decide whether an idea is too much. If you feel you're not ready to write it, then set the idea back and try something less stressful. Maybe write some short fiction pieces.

Have courage. Writing a first draft is the first step. Posting it here will help you improve, as people give you feedback and advice on how to better yourself.

Happy Writing!

Zach Heher
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 1:40 PM
The real question you should be asking is: do you think this is a good idea for a book. We can't be the ones to judge whether a premise is suitable for a book or not. If you believe this is a good setup then go for it and see where it goes from there. And if you need help or advice be sure to ask.

Hope this helps.
Jay Greenstein
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2015 8:51 PM

Written well any idea can be made to work. So if you're up to speed on things like how a scene on the page differs from one on the screen, and why a scene usually ends in disaster, write a chapter and post it. Then you'll find out if you're making the reader turn the pages. That matters, because readers are volunteers, not conscripts. If we don't give reason, on page one, to turn to page two they won't, and all the time it took to write the rest was wasted.

I have a fantastic idea for a painting. But I have no training as an artist. Does it matter how good my idea is if I don't learn how to paint professionally?

Rob Emery
Posted: Friday, December 4, 2015 12:00 PM

Okay Sci-Fi is Sci-Fi and we who read it love it. What I'm wondering is if you character has no memory of the past how does he know he's in the future?  If this is an adventure story with the protagonist blundering through a post world aftermath trying to find out who he is, then all the things you wish throw in his path are plausible. That is because everything is plausible in Sci-Fi.

Good writing,  Rob Emery

Jump to different Forum...