RSS Feed Print
The Oscars
Zach Heher
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:32 PM
Alright Book Country, I have talked about the Razzies yesterday now it's time to talk about the big one: The Academy Awards. Just like before, I will list the nominees for both Original Screenplay and Adapted Screenplay but I will not go into a lot of detail in each because I have not seen a majority of them sadly. To see the complete list of nominees follow this link.

And the nominees are:

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
1. Birdman-
Michael Keaton stars in this film where he is a forgotten actor best know for portraying a famous superhero (and it's not Batman). The film has been nominated for 9 academy awards including Best Director, Best Actor (Keaton), and Best Picture.
2. Boyhood- A film that was literally twelve years in the making about a boy's life in those twelve years. Film also stars Ethan Hawke (Best Supporting Actor nominee) and Patricia Arquette (Best Supporting Actress nominee).
3. Foxcatcher- A gripping film about millionaire John du Pont (played by Best Actor nominee Steve Carell) interaction with the Schultz brothers and what led to the murder to one of them. This is a great film and Steve Carell is definitely my pick for Best Actor.
4. The Grand Budapest Hotel- Wes Anderson returns with his new comedy about a concierge teaming up with his lobby boy to prove his innocence. I love Wes Anderson's films and I had a blast with this one.
5. Nightcrawler- Jake Gyllenhaal stars as a man who films accidents and crimes for the news and gets pretty disturbing.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
1. American Sniper-
 The amazing true story about Chris Kyle, the deadliest sniper in the Navy, and how his time in the Middle East affect his life. Clint Eastwood directs and Bradley Cooper portrays the troubled soldier in his third Oscar nomination.
2. The Imitation Game- The true story of Alan Turing and his attempt crack the Nazi Enigma Code to help in the efforts of World War II. Benedict Cumberbatch does an outstanding job portraying the man who should have been hailed as a hero but was wrongfully prosecuted for being homosexual. 
3. Inherent Vice- Paul Thomas Anderson and Joaquin Phoenix pair up again in a crime-drama based on the novel of the same name by Thomas Pychon.
4. The Theory of Everything- An emotional film about the love and life of Stephen Hawking and Jane Hawking.
5. Whiplash- Miles Teller stars as a student who dreams of becoming a drummer but is pressured by his rageaholic teacher played by an Oscar nominated J.K. Simmons.

And those are your nominees in the writing category. Who do you believe will win? Have you seen these films? Be sure to leave a comment below.
Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:39 PM

WOW! I am embarrassed to say that I have not seen even one of these movies. I did not realize how out of touch I am . . .

Jump to different Forum...