RSS Feed Print
The Razzies
Zach Heher
Posted: Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:34 PM

Hello Book Country,

It is my favorite time in January, that's right it's Oscar week. But before we can get to the Oscars we have to get to the Razzie awards. For those who are unfamiliar, the Golden Raspberry Awards is a parody award program dedicated to give awards to the worst films of the year. Boy did we have some stinkers from 2014. Now since this is a writing website I figured it would be fair to reveal only the nominees for Worst Screenplay in this forum, and add my own commentary. You can see a complete list by following this link here.

And the nominees for Worst Screenplay are:

1. Left Behind- Based on the novel written by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins it stars Nicolas Cage as a pilot who discovers people are disappearing because the rapture has begun. If you thought Nic Cage would take any role in a film before, you are indeed correct. This is by far one of the most boring films I had to sit through. My parents rented it from Redbox and they regret it. The plot is lame, the writing is bad, the acting is horrid, and the film's religious message is way too forced. I don't want to burn anyone's beliefs but I cannot fathom what went on this film.

2. Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas- This is a film I have not seen but judging by its premise makes me glad I didn't. The film stars Growing Pains' Kirk Cameron as a guy named Kirk (subtle) who is trying to cheer up his friend Christian (played by the film's director Darren Doane) by reminding him that the popular elements of Christmas is...biblical? Yes, it's another one of Cameron's faith-based films. Again I don't want to discourage anyone's beliefs. What you believe in is what you believe just as what I believe is something I believe. I heard that this film was already panned by critics, including being voted number 1 on IMDB's list of worst films ever, having 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, and having the most Razzie nods this year. Sorry to say that this film failed to put "Christ" back in "Christmas".

3. Sex Tape- This is another film I have not seen but I really wanted to check out. Jason Segel and Cameron Diaz star in a film where a sex tape has been uploaded to the internet and the duo try to get rid of it. The film was poorly received and came to surprise me when I found out this was nominated for worst screenplay. It's just another dumb comedy. I thought the film Pompeii would have been nominated because that film was really bad.

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- The four popular reptilian masters of ninjutsu are back on the big screen in a live action film produced by Michael Bay. When I first heard about this film I knew this was going to suck. I am a huge fan of the Ninja Turtles and everything that could go wrong in the film did go wrong. The turtles look ugly, the dialogue is childish, the origin story has been altered, and Megan Fox as April O'Neal was not a match. Hey, at least they're not aliens.

5. Transformers: Age of Extinction- You knew this film had to make the list. Michael Bay directs the fourth Transformers film and we are all sick and tired of seeing these films. If I had to pick the winner (or in this case loser) I would pick this piece of crap.

So those are the nominees for worst screenplay, what do you think? Be sure to check back tomorrow when I list the Oscar nominees.

Jump to different Forum...