RSS Feed Print
Comic Book News Weekly! (Civil War, DC films, Wolverine)
Zach Heher
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 2:02 PM

Hello Book Country,

This is a new weekly discussion that I figured I should do because I love anything and everything that is comic books or comic book related subjects, and I have a lot in store for you.

For the past two days there have been some big news in the comic book film world from both Marvel and DC. First off, Marvel announces that Iron Man will be in Captain America 3, and they are setting up the possibility of a using the Marvel Civil War story arc. For those unfamiliar, Civil War is a large story arc that pits Marvels heroes against one another when the government wants them to register as government agents. Iron Man sides with the Pro-registration as for Captain America sides with the Anti-registration. This announcement gets me pumped because I think this is a great set up. You have to sides that anyone can side with and both sides make very compelling and conflicting arguments. Plus it sets up with an ultimate confrontation between Iron Man and Captain America. If they do go the route of Civil War, will this mean that Captain America could die? Yeah spoiler, after the civil war ends Captain America gets assassinated. I'm not sure if this is official but it is a fun thing to speculate.

The second bit of news is that DC and Warner Brothers have made a full announcement of films in the next five years. First we have Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice coming in March 2016, which isn't anything new. There has been a lot of news from it lately. I'm still excited for it but there as been some odd casting choices lately which makes me super cautious. Ben Affleck as Batman, I'm willing to give it a try. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, I don't have a problem. Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor, NO! 

Next in August 2016 we have a Suicide Squad movie. The Suicide Squad is a group of outlaws used by the government that go out on black ops missions. If they succeed they get reduced sentences. What gets my interest is the fact that I'm curious who they will put in this movie. Is Deadshot in the movie? Harley Quinn? Captain Boomerang? I don't know.

Then in 2017 Wonder Woman finally gets her own stand alone film followed by a Justice League movie. DC really wants the Justice League on the big screen don't they?

Then in 2018 we now have an Aquaman and Flash movie. Aquaman is portrayed by Jason Mamoa from Game of Thrones fame, which is as equally as awesome as have Batman and Superman fight each in their movie. Also the Flash is going to be portrayed by Ezra Miller from Perks of Being a Wallflower. This kind of disappoints me with their choice of the Flash. Nothing against the actor, but since there is a Flash show on air why can't they use him? Have you seen the show? It's awesome.

Then in 2019 Captain Marvel gets his film debut. Nowadays he is called Shazam but I still refer him as Captain Marvel. 1. He came out first before Marvel's Captain Marvel (technically). 2. The name Shazam wouldn't make sense since whenever he changes back into a kid he just shouts Shazam. Enough of that we also have a second Justice League film in the same year.

And finally 2020 gives us screen adaptations of Cyborg and Green Lantern. The awesomeness just keeps coming.

The final news I have for today is that The Death of Wolverine story arc has concluded with Wolverine "dying." The immortal member of the X-Men has died in an epic way. Yet I still put quotation marks around the word "Dead" because come on. This is one of the most popular comic book hero of all time. Comics have been famous for killing of popular characters before (Superman, Captain America, Robin, Archie) and rarely do they ever stay dead. My best bet is that Wolverine is definitely going to make a comeback but only time will tell.

So that is all the news for today and this week. What do you think so far? Leave your comments before!

Mimi Speike
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 3:40 PM

Zach, I am not into the super-hero thing, but I adore your enthusiasm. I will be looking into your posted work. Passionate people fascinate me.

--edited by Mimi Speike on 10/17/2014, 3:44 PM--

Lucy Silag - Book Country Community Manager
Posted: Friday, October 17, 2014 3:45 PM

Hey Zach--Great idea, and thanks for taking the lead on a new thread. I don't know much about this stuff except that I find Hugh Jackman very charming. But I know there are a lot of folks on Book Country who are indeed into comics of all stripes. We will guide them here!

I, too, love the enthusiasm! Brightens a Friday afternoon!

Jump to different Forum...